#metoo

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
21
Seriously. I don't care if it's prison or an asylum. Lock her up for life.

But she could teach people not to kill their children. Or how to handle it if they do.
 

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Champion
LV
3
 
Awards
9
From the little I've read and watched, there seems to be a similar discourse around the execution of convicted murderer Christa Pike.

I've just watched a BBC News short where the focus is heavily on Pike's poor mental health and trauma. The brutal torture and murder she committed is described as a "horrible tragedy". And the short ends with the line:


I don't doubt there are many on death row with similarly challenging backgrounds. But how often would this factor into the story when a murderer is male? It feels very imbalanced.

I disagree with the execution, but that's because I oppose the death sentence. Irrespective of gender.


(And wasn't the sentencing judge was a woman anyway?)
George Carlin once said the death penalty only exists to satisfy a Biblical need for vengeance. Locking them up for the rest of their natural life should be punishment enough.

On the other hand, all of the concern over Pike "reliving her childhood trauma" as she dies is a bit much for me. Lots of people have childhood trauma, and they don't smash a person's head and steal a piece of their skull as a souvenir. Pike asked to at least be executed by an all-female firing squad, but Tennessee doesn't offer that option. They went ahead with the lethal injection, but after two doses, Pike was still alive. This has happened several times before, so it feels both barbaric and ridiculous that they still use this method. In another bizarre twist, Pike was sent to the hospital after the botched execution for "medical treatment." Everything about this feels like the definition of insanity.
 
Last edited:
Top