• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

American Horror Story My Roanoke Nightmare

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
How far did you get with the season?

I got as far as when Jessica Lange leaves the convent. And the younger nun has just stabbed someone and turned into Satan in front of a little girl.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I got as far as when Jessica Lange leaves the convent. And the younger nun has just stabbed someone and turned into Satan in front of a little girl.
Gosh, I can't remember where that was in terms of episodes. I could do with re-watching this one.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I just finished binging season 5 HOTEL. I enjoyed the first half more than I expected to. Really this should have been my favourite season. The vampire vibe, the slight 80s feeling with the music and the references to things like The Hunger and Interview With The Vampire. And I did get that and appreciate it but again ultimately I found the show to be a meandering mess.

Sarah Paulson was wasted in HOTEL. I think she's a fantastic actress but her character Sally this season was a depressing dreary bore. I would have appreciated seeing more of how she was before she became a junkie. All we saw was her being a junkie, then crying with awful makeup. So annoying! I appreciated the noir feeling with the hardboiled cop too. Though I saw his "twist" coming a mile off.
By about the 147th throat slashing I was like, this isn't even scary anymore it's tedious. I seriously would have found the vampires more frightening had they had fangs and been like the traditional vampire.
There were things that were unresolved too. What happened to Bartholomew and who looked after him when the countess and everyone else was dead? I also found it silly that ghosts could actually kill people and walk around and be seen by the living when they felt like it.

The main problem I have with the show is that it's too campy. That campiness makes it not scary after a point. I thought Murder House and Asylum were the least campy and therefor the most frightening. I have sort of given up on the show making any kind of logical sense now. I mainly watched on after a point because Matt Bomer and the rest of Ryan Murphy's posse of Pretty Boys was just so gorgeous. Like unbelievably so.

Is Roanoke an improvement?

This show is so frustrating for me to watch. I love most of the cast and I like some of the things it tries to do and some the stylistic choices by at the same time I hate how campy and nonsensical it is most of the time.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Is Roanoke an improvement?
Roanoke starts of very creepy, probably the best creepy story AHS has done. It's kinda wrapped up half-way through, so you find yourself thinking where can they go. Then they go in an interesting direction, but at the same time they do what they always do, go too far and ruin it. - That's how I see it, you might see it another way and enjoy it.

I really think AHS would have a better impact if it was 10 episodes a season, or even 8 episodes.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I really think AHS would have a better impact if it was 10 episodes a season, or even 8 episodes.
I really agree with you on this. I noticed Hotel was an episode shorter than usual wasn't it? Honestly though there is normally a point in the show about half way through the season where I start to roll my eyes and think really? Again? It gets repetitive and the shocks wear off because you start getting immune to the gore and grotesque. You could eat a bowl of trifle while watching someone be cut up with a chainsaw and cannibalised and you wouldn't even flinch.

I noticed too that I don't really care about the characters anymore. I think the cast can be too big sometimes.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Oh and I'm still none the wiser as to what or why that thing with the drill bit strap on was. Can anyone explain that? And why did it seem to follow only Sally?

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'm still none the wiser as to what or why that thing with the drill bit strap on was. Can anyone explain that?

I'd forgotten about this, I thought at one point it was something to do with the Countess, but those last few episodes just feel a blur now.

Actually, I think I could say that for most of the seasons about the last few episodes.

I think the cast can be too big sometimes.
Yes, that's a good point.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Roanoke starts of very creepy, probably the best creepy story AHS has done.

I binge watched Roanoke now, and that works so much better than watching it weekly!
Love it, another great season. Hotel is also awesome for binging, as i did that last week. :D
So the only AHS season i didn't like that much was 4 with that clown and the circus.
But all the other ones are 10/10 for me!
Hope that will count for CULT as well. ;)

Last edited:

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
and that works so much better than watching it weekly!

I should do this because I always get bored or frustrated with it weekly.

That said, I'm always, always too excited each year to wait for the three months and be able to binge-watch it.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I lost interest in Hotel, not sure why. Not really into the whole vampire thing....but Cult has just become available on Now Tv so excited for that...

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's back tonight and I still don't know its title

So THAT was the trailer for Roanoke? It had absolutly NOTHING to do with the actual season! :crazyme:

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"Mama she took my leg!"

This is sick!:tv:

"We should leave now!" (because now it's too late to escape).
Makes perfect sense.:D

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm watching part II now, the reality show about "Return To Roanoke".
I love it I love it, and it clearly shows how much fun they're having with their show.
The actors are awesome (as always) - Kathy Bates as the crazy actress, fantastic!:dance:

Now I know why there are no opening credits, it's all part of the "reality" aspect.
Time to go back to Roanoke:byee: