OJ Simpson died. Good.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, we all respect different things. The "he" part I've never quite bought.

But I'm afraid the "race" part creates a bias -- and a bias about others' biases -- for some people.

I'm having an absolutely horrible time right now so just play along please.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
People are actually horrible. Just imagine people 10x worse than you and there's the thing.

I did literally nothing worse than stand by my principles and I got absolutely shat on, there's nothing like nice people and why do I even bother?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards

People are actually horrible. Just imagine people 10x worse than you and there's the thing.

We all respect different things. I'm quite sure AC is closer to your particular taste...

I did literally nothing worse than stand by my principles and I got absolutely shat on, there's nothing like nice people and why do I even bother?

But, what happened, baby??

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I said: transing children are wrong and I stand by that. Show me the evidence that it's right and I might change my mind.

People still get angry over this sort of opinion, especially "rights" crusaders.

I think most of us here agree that trans-ing children is wrong (except the one you love, of course).

So, just what are you saying??

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think most of us here agree that trans-ing children is wrong (except the one you love, of course).

So, just what are you saying??
Why would I trust someone or anyone again - they threw away 15+ years to go off and be a "good person". They called me all sorts of things in the process, I genuinely did not do anything wrong. I can barely breathe when thinking about it - it was a good friend, but was it all one-sided? Am stupid? I hate myself for even being friends because it all seems stupid. Why would anyone ever do this to a person?

And even if they came back now - and yes, I've seen a turn-around in their social media - then what? I can't trust them, I can't ever talk to them.

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Why would I trust someone or anyone again - they threw away 15+ years to go off and be a "good person". They called me all sorts of things in the process, I genuinely did not do anything wrong. I can barely breathe when thinking about it - it was a good friend, but was it all one-sided? Am stupid? I hate myself for even being friends because it all seems stupid. Why would anyone ever do this to a person?

And even if they came back now - and yes, I've seen a turn-around in their social media - then what? I can't trust them, I can't ever talk to them.

I'm sorry you're hurting. But I feel you're/we're having seven different conversations at once.

Last edited:

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
OK, I followed your advice and did a Google search and it did indeed yield interesting results. Juror Yolanda Crawford said the verdict had nothing to do with the Rodney King case. She also said "The fact that I might release a person that was guilty, it bothered me but the doubt was so plain, you couldn't deny it. There was no other verdict that we could deliver." (Source: The Jury Speaks, 2017)

Jurors David Aldana, and Jeanette Harris also are on the record saying that maintain that based on the evidence they were presented, there was enough reasonable doubt that they could not convict Simpson
What I find interesting is Crawford not only said the Rodney King case didn't influence the Simpson verdict, but she also said that it was never even brought up during deliberations! I find that very hard to believe given the racial tensions at the time in the wake of the LA riots. Black people have always had a contentious relationship with the police (and understandably so.) When Simpson was found not guilty, the reaction to the verdict was largely split along racial lines. Many white people thought he got away with murder, while many black people saw the verdict as being bigger than just one man. It became symbolic of justice for all black people who had ever been mistreated by the judicial system. I can understand why some jurors would want the public to believe they were completely objective and unbiased in reaching their verdict, but I tend to believe Bess's version of events here. Not only does it seem believable given the events of the time, I also just tend to believe people who don't care about protecting their image.

NBC recently ran an article detailing how black people viewed the verdict: To many Black Americans, the O.J. Simpson trial was about more than the verdict (nbcnews.com)

Last edited:

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
What I find interesting is Crawford not only said the Rodney King case didn't influence the Simpson verdict, but she also said that it was never even brought up during deliberations! I find that very hard to believe given the racial tensions at the time in the wake of the LA riots. Black people have always had a contentious relationship with the police (and understandably so.) When Simpson was found not guilty, the reaction to the verdict was largely split along racial lines. Many white people thought he got away with murder, while many black people saw the verdict as being bigger than just one man. It became symbolic of justice for all black people who had ever been mistreated by the judicial system. I can understand why some jurors would want the public to believe they were completely objective and unbiased in reaching their verdict, but I tend to believe Bess's version of events here. Not only does it seem believable given the events of the time, I also just tend to believe people who don't care about protecting their image.

NBC recently ran an article detailing how black people viewed the verdict: To many Black Americans, the O.J. Simpson trial was about more than the verdict (nbcnews.com)
Why would the jury bring up the Rodney King case during their deliberations? A jury should limit their discussions and verdict to information that has been presented to the court so it was right and proper that it wasn't brought up. As far as I can tell, Ms Bess has been the only juror to claim that the Rodney King case influenced the jury's decision and I don't think she has ever said why she came to have that opinion so I tend to believe how the other jurors perceived what happened over the sole voice of Ms Bess.

I think your comment "many black people saw the verdict as being bigger than just one man" has some truth. Had the jury found OJ guilty, it would have given the police the green light to tamper with evidence knowing that they could get away with it.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Why would the jury bring up the Rodney King case during their deliberations? A jury should limit their discussions and verdict to information that has been presented to the court so it was right and proper that it wasn't brought up. As far as I can tell, Ms Bess has been the only juror to claim that the Rodney King case influenced the jury's decision and I don't think she has ever said why she came to have that opinion so I tend to believe how the other jurors perceived what happened over the sole voice of Ms Bess.
We're all free to believe whomever we want. However, just because juries are supposed to stick to the facts of the case doesn't mean biases can't creep in.

And again, some people care about protecting their image more than others. Ther other jurors could be telling the truth, but they could also be hiding their biases.

I think your comment "many black people saw the verdict as being bigger than just one man" has some truth. Had the jury found OJ guilty, it would have given the police the green light to tamper with evidence knowing that they could get away with it.
The verdict didn't exactly put an end to police misconduct, did it? I think there was enough evidence to prove Simpson's guilt, and it's sad that Ron and Nicole never got justice.

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My understanding is that in the US you can get bench trials - which means you can exclude a jury and only have a judge take it by fact alone.

There's a reason why people like OJ went for jury trial versus bench trial. And the answer why is bloody obvious.