One Summer

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

Whenever I see Willy Russell's name, my brain thinks of Willie Rushton.

So it is that regular glances at the One Summer DVD over the years it's sat, unopened, on my shelf, have reinforced my conviction that it's written by Rushton and starring the dark haired one from Men Behaving Badly when he was young. Turns out I was wrong about that too. That was Neil Morrissey, not David.

Now that I've finally realised who Russell is, everything makes so much more sense.

I got the first two episodes in last night and it's a compelling watch. It feels very early Channel 4 (which is exactly what it is, having aired at the end of that channel's first summer on air). This could easily have been a companion piece to early Brookside. The character of Iggy, with his cheeky Scouse charm is uncannily like Damon Grant, for a start. And there are a couple of faces who would go on to the series, like Tracy Corkhill's flat-topped boyfriend Jamie. But more than anything it's the tone. It feels quite like a post-watershed Brookie. While the gritty snapshot of Liverpool during difficult times and the characters' desire to find an escape and their grim humour shining through reminds me very much of how Dublin was portrayed in Alan Parker's film The Commitments.

The two leads are great. I don't believe I've seen either of these actors in anything else and would take note if I saw their names come up again. Spencer Leigh is engaging and charismatic as the somewhat naïve Iggy, but David Morrissey's Billy steals the show. There's so much going on behind his eyes, like he's lived several lives and is tired of it all. It's fascinating to watch a character whose actions and feelings exist in two completely separate worlds and quite incredible that he can convey far more with what he doesn't say than what he does.

There's a real intimacy to the friendship the two young men have. It's almost a love story. For all the casual homophobia, it wouldn't surprise me to find that one or both of them were attracted to the other. But maybe that impression comes from sensing how difficult it is for them to open up to each other. There's so much unsaid it could be pretty much anything, but it probably boils down to the fact that they have each other's best interests at heart but lack the vocabulary to be able to articulate it. Billy telling Iggy about a time he cried felt like he'd taken a real risk in giving that thought voice.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the softer world of rural Wales continues to affect these two, and I like that it's not a natural, easy fit. Their killing the birds perhaps summed up how poorly equipped they are on arrival and I find myself hoping they get a new outlook over the next three episodes.

The supporting cast have been great. The tense dysfunction of Billy's home could have been built out into an ongoing saga of its own - there are so many layers there, and I found myself wanting to know more about his mother, played with a fearless degree of unlikeability masking a torrent of internal breakdowns and torment.

James Hazeldine's character has just arrived on the scene (or more precisely, Billy and Iggy have intruded on his scene). From the little I've read he'll be an important character for them to bounce off, so I'm looking forward to seeing what episode three brings.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
You're in for a real treat with this little beauty. It has everything and more. I'm surprised David Morrissey is new to you. If you get a chance he starred in a really good drama (which I think was a flop) called CAPE WRATH. Though with a drama like ONE SUMMER, it feels natural to follow it up with the Alan Bleasdale drama SCULLY.

I've always seen it as part of my 'decade of one-hit wonders'.

70s - Abigail's Party
80s - One Summer
90s - The Lakes
00s - The Take

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
You're in for a real treat with this little beauty. It has everything and more.

That's good to know. Episodes One and Two had quite different tones - mainly due to the drastically different locations. And I imagine there'll be another shift for Episode Three now that James Hazeldine has arrived. Now I'm wondering if each of the five episodes has its own unique tone to set it apart.

I'm surprised David Morrissey is new to you.

Yes. I've checked the extensive IMDb entries for him as an actor, writer and producer and I don't believe I've seen anything else with him in. He's impressing me so far.

If you get a chance he starred in a really good drama (which I think was a flop) called CAPE WRATH. Though with a drama like ONE SUMMER, it feels natural to follow it up with the Alan Bleasdale drama SCULLY.

Thanks - those two are now added to my longer term viewing bucket list. :)

I've always seen it as part of my 'decade of one-hit wonders'.

70s - Abigail's Party
80s - One Summer
90s - The Lakes
00s - The Take

I like it. And that's suggested another two things for me to view for the first time. :oops:

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I loved this when I first saw it back in the day and then again when the DVD came out about ten years ago. It's always stayed with me. The characters just break your heart. As Ome said, David Morrissey's a big star now -- I've just watched his stint in The Walking Dead -- but he still retains the grittiness he had in One Summer, which was his first ever job. I often wondered what happened to the fella who plays Icky so it's really nice to hear the two reunited on the DVD commentary. And there's also some interesting stuff there about Willy Russell's ambivalent relationship with the series. (On the remote chance that you haven't seen Russell's Educating Rita, Mel, the film version is definitely worth a look.)

Icky to Billy: "If I could be anyone, I'd be you. Sometimes I f***in' hate you."

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The characters just break your heart.

Yes - that sums it up perfectly.

As Ome said, David Morrissey's a big star now -- I've just watched his stint in The Walking Dead -- but he still retains the grittiness he had in One Summer, which was his first ever job.

I will be seeking out his other work. The person I'm viewing with has watched TWD so it will be interesting to see if he's recognised from that.

I often wondered what happened to the fella who plays Icky so it's really nice to hear the two reunited on the DVD commentary.

I found it interesting to read that Spencer Leigh was considered part of the original Brit Pack, along with some names that are absolutely huge. Having appeared to stop acting in 1992, Spencer was the only one to have become inactive until Daniel Day-Lewis retired last year.

And there's also some interesting stuff there about Willy Russell's ambivalent relationship with the series.

Somewhere along the way I'd read that he was unhappy with the two leads, feeling they were too old. It's got me curious to learn more, and the bonus features will be the perfect way to do that. After Episode Five, of course, as these things tend to assume the viewer has watched the entire thing.

On the remote chance that you haven't seen Russell's Educating Rita, Mel, the film version is definitely worth a look.

Thanks James. I've seen it, but it's been many years. Maybe I'll re-watch it soon.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Over the last couple of nights I watched the last three episodes.

It's left me quite stunned. There were so many twists and turns, with the final episode in particular getting my pulse racing. It was even more moving after the previous episode which had ended on such a happy note with the barn dance.

The moment where Kidder produced the books he'd made for Iggy and Billy was so moving. I'm quite a hard heart when it comes to emotional TV moments but this one moved me to tears.

Of course, the child in me is devastated there isn't a sequel which tells what happens next. But I'm very glad there isn't. I think this one is going to resonate for a long time to come.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I often wondered what happened to the fella who plays Icky so it's really nice to hear the two reunited on the DVD commentary. And there's also some interesting stuff there about Willy Russell's ambivalent relationship with the series.

The bonus features proved very enjoyable and the commentaries on two of the episodes were a great excuse to rewatch and get to know it better. I'm glad you mentioned it James.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards