Print Ads for Primetime Soaps

AndyB2008

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic
I had a glance at the first episode and it’s less than 90 seconds before they crack open the first bottles of Coke. I remember watching it when it aired on youth channel Trouble here. I don’t think I even realised it was a Dawson’s Creek offshoot at the time. The main draw was that British actor Charlie Hunnam (who’d recently starred in the original Queer As Folk) was in it as a guest character.

I never watched the show, even when it became a bit more accessible when it aired at a regular time on Living. I know it’s commonplace these days but I remember thinking that the casting of a reality star (Kelly Osbourne) cheapened the show, in my eyes at least, so I didn’t bother with it.

Some Australian TV channels used to always do this too. They’d have these hyper melodramatic promos for Home and Away along the lines of “what happens tonight, will change their lives forever”. Then you’d watch the episode and it’d be something trivial like two characters having a disagreement.
I forget there was another connection (sort of) with Columbia Pictures ref Young Americans in addition to the Coca Cola one.

Young Americans was co produced by the television arm of Mandalay Entertainment, which was Peter Guber's company, and he had been the head of Columbia Pictures following the acquisition by Sony.

Mandalay had been acquired by the Canadian media company Lionsgate at the time Young Americans debuted. They owned it until 2002, and Peter Guber bought the company back.

To add, Steven Antin created Young Americans. His sister is Robin Antin, better known for forming the burlesque troupe The Pussycat Dolls, who evolved into the girl group featuring one Nicole Scherzinger.

Last edited:

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Flipping the theme a bit here with some daytime that aired in primetime. First up is Loving, whose pilot aired as a two hour primetime movie before it started in daytime the following day.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've said this pretty much every time Loving comes up so I might as well say it again: it's such an identity-less show that I've never been able to figure out what it's actually about. Even the title is confusing - "Loving". "Loving" what? What does that even mean?

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've said this pretty much every time Loving comes up so I might as well say it again: it's such an identity-less show that I've never been able to figure out what it's actually about. Even the title is confusing - "Loving". "Loving" what? What does that even mean?
I haven’t seen any of the show (although I’ve watched some of its offshoot The City) but I’ve read that Agnes Nixon wanted to create a soap that focused on romance instead of the action based storylines that were popular in the 80’s, hence the title. It was originally titled Love Without End.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I haven’t seen any of the show (although I’ve watched some of its offshoot The City) but I’ve read that Agnes Nixon wanted to create a soap that focused on romance instead of the action based storylines that were popular in the 80’s, hence the title. It was originally titled Love Without End.
It's odd, but I think The City has a much clearer sense of itself, at least when it came to marketing the show. Just from the title and the look of the show you got an instant feel what it was about (well, Melrose Place in New York City), I've never felt like that about Loving. Depending on what year / storyline is being described it just comes off as wildly different shows.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've said this pretty much every time Loving comes up so I might as well say it again: it's such an identity-less show that I've never been able to figure out what it's actually about.
It's odd, but I think The City has a much clearer sense of itself, at least when it came to marketing the show. Just from the title and the look of the show you got an instant feel what it was about (well, Melrose Place in New York City), I've never felt like that about Loving. Depending on what year / storyline is being described it just comes off as wildly different shows.
This feels like a question that @Daniel Avery or @AndyB2008 might be able to answer but I wondered what the purpose of Loving was? As in, why did ABC decide to produce and schedule a new soap for an 11.30am timeslot that had been home to primetime reruns (The Love Boat, Three’s Company) for a number of years prior. Were they trying to reclaim the slot with original programming after moving Family Feud out of it at the end of the 70’s in favour of reruns? Did they think Ryan’s Hope and/or The Edge of Night were on their way out and were lining up a new soap to take its place?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I got the impression that Loving came to be because ABC had such a productive/profitable relationship with Agnes Nixon. She had given them two of their most popular shows (One Life to Live and All My Children) and they were keen to keep her happy since they often had to call her in to "consult" on shows when they landed in a bad patch. Doug Marland (another master storyteller/soap show runner) had a similarly productive reputation in soapland. Both had this aura of having the Midas Touch when it came to soaps, so giving them development deals seemed to be good business. Loving never did 'catch fire' like some of their other efforts, perhaps because of its bad time slot but mostly (IMO) because they did not have any really unique characters or a unique premise that got people talking. When they started tinkering with the format in an effort to "start that fire," it just came off as desperation. It likely lasted as long as it did only because it was produced by ABC (allowing them to keep more of the profits) and their decision to morph it into The City (rather than just give the time back to affiliates) showed they still had faith in soaps generally.