Random things you hate

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Stomach flu. Have an epic one today. 16 hours later, and it's still not over.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A work colleague causing nothing but grief for customers and team members but thinks she is doing nothing wrong. Again today a customer approached me thinking I was the Store Manager and wished to put in a complaint about the aforementioned team member. I informed the elderly lady I would call the manager out for her. I could see the lady was quite distressed so calmed her while the manager arrived. When said manager arrived I simply said, "The lady would like to speak with you about the team members behaviour." I left them. All this was happening in full view of the team member and I could sense she didn't like what was happening. When the manager went and spoke with the team member she told him she feels stressed because someone at work is spreading rumours about her. A poor excuse in my book. Then she had the audacity to tell the manager I was probably "egging on" the customer to complain. Well the manager didn't appreciate that one bit and told her to get in the office. How do I know this? Because another team member heard it and came and told me. Guess who is lodging a formal complaint right now to HR? Me.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm walking alone along a suburban footpath. There's one other person walking toward me. Between us there is some kind of obstruction - an overgrowing shrub, a misplaced bin, a car parked in a driveway, something of that sort. Why do we inevitably pass each other at the narrowest point in the path?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In a similar vein, I had a late lunch today (3:30pm) so the restaurant dining room was totally empty. After I ordered, another person entered. The dining room could seat 90-100 people, and where does this one other person decide to sit? Yes, at the table directly across from me. So now I have this uncomfortably self-conscious lunch, eating while desperately trying to avoid eye contact with this person when it's human nature to want to stare straight ahead. He must have ordered something complicated, because it took a long time for his food to arrive, so the only real "entertainment" seemed to be watching me eat. Not that he was obvious about it---he was trying not to make eye contact, either---but all this discomfort could have been avoided if he had just chosen one of the dozens of other tables, or just decided to sit with his back to me if that part of the dining room was so much better.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The dining room could seat 90-100 people, and where does this one other person decide to sit? Yes, at the table directly across from me.

I'll lay you 50-1 odds that no matter where you positioned yourself at the table you used, that other person would position himself in your line of sight no matter what (IOW, lose-lose).

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
when it's human nature to want to stare straight ahead
But maybe it's also human nature not to want to isolate oneself, or to give someone else that impression. It's very possible that the other person would have preferred a more private location but felt it would be too much of a "statement" especially since the place was kinda deserted.
Imagine if that person would have chosen that same table, but the opposite seat - in other words; you'd be looking at his/her back. Wouldn't that be utterly disheartening?

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
magine if that person would have chosen that same table, but the opposite seat
Something similar happened to me once. I was at a buffet by myself and when I came back to my table after getting my food someone was sitting there. I looked around to make sure I wasn’t confused but I noticed that my phone and keys were still sitting where I left them so I politely informed her that she was at the wrong table. But she disagreed and said that I was at the wrong table. After a few moments of going back and forth she noticed her family looking all around for her and calling her over. So she stood up and ran off, obviously very embarrassed that she had sat down at the wrong table. All I could do was shrug, sit down and keep eating.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Er, no...that would have been preferable. I just wanted to eat (better late than never) and wasn't really in the mood for an audience.

That being said, why did the one who sat directly across from you choose that seat?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have no idea why he did not choose one of the many, many other places to sit. I would never have intentionally chosen to sit in such a line-of-sight location across from a total stranger, but I choose to believe that guy just didn't think ahead. By the time he realized we were going to have to avert our eyes and work to ignore one another, it was too late to get up and move someplace else. He wasn't a creep or anything---or at least I didn't get that vibe. I don't think it was an intentional move, just a thoughtless one. So I guess the random thing I hate about it is that people don't take other people's comfort into consideration as much as they ought to, at least if it doesn't infringe on your own comfort.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I nearly gassed myself in the car a few days ago! I'd been drinking beetroot juice and let me tell you it may be nice to drink but it gives you terrible wind! :oops:

Boy, would that be embarrassing if you were in a public place and you were in a rush to find a bathroom!

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Don't know if I said this: when people have their birthdays so late in the year that it takes forever to get to them (case in point, the late Johnny Isakson of Georgia, who passed on at 76 in this month; I thought he would have been born sometime in 1945, but he was actually born way late in 1944, which meant he was still a ways off from his birthday, even with this December passing).

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There is a suburb here named Pascoe Vale.
I hate it when the traffic reporters call it Pasca Vale.

Why do they call it Pasca Vale, and not pronounce it correctly?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A lot of TV journalists get jobs in areas far away from where they grew up. After graduation they will move to wherever they can get a job. Newcomers to an area might not know how local landmarks (streets, parks, etc.) are pronounced until someone corrects them. And sometimes no one thinks to spell it out phonetically on the TelePrompter the reporter is reading.

Just yesterday I heard a young reporter refer to a street in a news report as "Glaw-ches-ter" rather than the proper "Glaw-ster" (Gloucester), but I've heard that name butchered so many times that I overlook it.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just yesterday I heard a young reporter refer to a street in a news report as "Glaw-ches-ter" rather than the proper "Glaw-ster" (Gloucester), but I've heard that name butchered so many times that I overlook it.

The same thing has been done, I believe, w/the city of Worcester, MA-- some might pronounce it the way it's spelled (Wor-ces-ter), but it's really pronounced "Wooster" (I think I heard William Daniels' Dr. Mark Craig character on St. Elsewhere make that correction in one first-season episode).

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Why do they call it Pasca Vale, and not pronounce it correctly?
Exactly.
Newcomers to an area might not know how local landmarks (streets, parks, etc.) are pronounced until someone corrects them.
It's actually a fairly common thing for Australians to pronounce any and all vowels as "uh" but I think this one is going too far. One would think that the "oe" at the end would make it clear enough.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
you can say that about the brits too they as you all know i'm from Ohio a friend of mine is now married to a women from the great UK across the pond from us that to me sounds so much better than ocean. anyways he's still learning the different language she speaks and he was just noticing the different way she says things i'm not cracking on any brits at all let me add that. my point just is just that in different parts of the world all over the world we can pronounce shit that sounds different to other people. or say things that mean the same thing but they are just called different things such as a Flat which to me sounds better than Apartment but it's the same thing.

i hope that came out right and i didn't offend anyone here if i did my apologies