Season 7: The Fallmonts? Extended Carringtons?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I want Sarah Curtis to have attempted suicide in those Carrington garages we saw so much of in S1 and S2, and it would remind the press (thanks to some nudging by Alexis' tabloid behind the scenes) of the girl who'd died of a drug overdose in the garage guest room in 1964 just after Blake's separation, the girl having been a Marilyn Monroe-type starlet Blake had briefly dated, Blake feeling sorry for the troubled creature and who'd allowed her to stay there for a time.

Tongues wagged of "foul play" after her death.

Emily Fallmont could then confess to Blake at Adam and Dana's reception at the Skycrest Lodge on the crater lake just below the summit of Scorpio Peak (which Blake had purchased a year earlier and made part of the estate) that the starlet had also been having an affair with Senator Fallmont , her husband, back in '64. Emily arrived at the guest house late one night with the starlet's physician, demanded the girl leave Denver, and had the doctor deliver a syringe of something once the girl became hysterical, Emily and the doctor then escaping into the night, leaving the poor distraught thing to overdose as she had been popping sedatives all day prior to the arrival of Emily and Dr. Feelgood.

Once the planned season ending earthquake occurs, most of the Fallmonts would be killed when the lodge goes cascading down the mountain.

Would that make the Sarah Curtis and the depressed Fallmonts' plotlines just a teensy bit more interesting?

in 1987, there was a lot of renewed talk about what happened to Marilyn Monroe, as it was the 25th anniversary of her death --- and this was one of the theoretical scenarios: Bobby Kennedy brought her doctor to give her a shot of something to calm her down when she became hysterical over their romantic break-up, but she then OD'd and died because she'd been popping pills all day,

I think her name is actually "Teri"...

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Bart and Steven were supposed to move in together. The story was droped because of the aids' controversy. The producers received A LOT of anti-gay letters at that time too.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Bart and Steven were supposed to move in together. The story was droped because of the aids' controversy. The producers received A LOT of anti-gay letters at that time too.

Sure they did, but the producers themselves were obviously even more uncomfortable with it.

The handling of Steven's sexuality is like the show itself: as John Forsythe said: "the producers didn't know what they wanted," and so DYNASTY remained permanently at neurotic cross-purposes. On almost everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

colbyco

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sure they did, but the producers themselves were obviously even more uncomfortable with it.

The handling of Steven's sexuality is like the show itself: as John Forsythe said: "the producers didn't know what they wanted," and so DYNASTY remained permanently at neurotic cross-purposes. On almost everything.

- Don´t think the producers were even more uncomfortable with it ... IF they would have ordered their writers to cancel the plan before ABC saw it ...
I have the meeting note ... it was ABC who was uncomfortable ...

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
- Don´t think the producers were even more uncomfortable with it ... IF they would have ordered their writers to cancel the plan before ABC saw it ...
I have the meeting note ... it was ABC who was uncomfortable ...
Even Doug Cramer admitted "Aaron was very uncomfortable with it" as well as "the network didn't want it at all."

colbyco

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Even Doug Cramer admitted "Aaron was very uncomfortable with it" as well as "the network didn't want it at all."
-That´s what troubles me ... some people say he was uncomfortable with the gay thing on "Dynasty"
but on "Melrose Place" he wasn´t happy that he wasn´t allowed to show 2 men kissing
Spelling:
"We've not been allowed by the sales department to do things we want to do. To not be able to show two people kissing—it's 1994, for Christ's sake."

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Even though Spelling may have had a different take on Dynasty I think he did care more about the gay kiss in Melrose Place. By 1993 Spelling and E. Duke Vincent were the executive producers of And the Band Played on, a TV movie for HBO about the AIDS epidemic. It was also shown a year later on NBC. So by this time Fox, who were "fresh" with The Simpsons and Married...with Children only 5 years earlier should have the balls to show it, but they didn't. However I always thought Matt's character was too generic/ bland (?) to have any impact. He's a character I never cared about while Steven had at least a decent end with Bart (the only part about The Reunion I liked) which he hadn't at the end of Season 7. I thought the Fallmonts were a great addition and regretted how they all vanished.

BTW around that time, early 90's, I've seen the excellent BBC movie The Lost Language of Cranes where gays kiss, have sex and on Germany's TV we already had the first gay kiss in a series years ago in 1985 (Kein schöner Land). And some more in TV movies starting in the 1970's.

The weekly soap Lindenstraße showed gays kiss 1987 casual and finally 1990 intense (followed by more viewer's protests than the first one)! A few years later a gay couple cuddled in the bed, had sex and a gay wedding (1997), other gays were shown as families with kids. In the final years (2018-20) of the series a young teen (played by a teen and not a twentysomething) who the viewers knew since 2009 (played by the same child actor) had his first crush on another boy, then a coming out story and his first kiss and sex before he turned 16. Broadcast on Sundays 18.40-19.10 h.
That was revolutionary television, not the Ellen episode and certainly not the stereotypical gay for straights Will & Grace that appeared very dated when I saw them in their time. Steven Carrington in the first two seasons of Dynasty was awesome! My first crush on a gay character!

Last edited:

colbyco

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Even though Spelling may have had a different take on Dynasty I think he did care more about the gay kiss in Melrose Place. By 1993 Spelling and E. Duke Vincent were the executive producers of And the Band Played on, a TV movie for HBO about the AIDS epidemic. It was also shown a year later on NBC. So by this time Fox, who were "fresh" with The Simpsons and Married...with Children only 5 years earlier should have the balls to show it, but they didn't. However I always thought Matt's character was too generic/ bland (?) to have any impact. He's a character I never cared about while Steven had at least a decent end with Bart (the only part about The Reunion I liked) which he hadn't at the end of Season 7. I thought the Fallmonts were a great addition and regretted how they all vanished.

BTW around that time, early 90's, I've seen the excellent BBC movie The Lost Language of Cranes where gays kiss, have sex and on Germany's TV we already had the first gay kiss in a series years ago in 1985 (Kein schöner Land). And some more in TV movies starting in the 1970's.

The weekly soap Lindenstraße showed gays kiss 1987 casual and finally 1990 intense (followed by more viewer's protests than the first one)! A few years later a gay couple cuddled in the bed, had sex and a gay wedding (1997), other gays were shown as families with kids. In the final years (2018-20) of the series a young teen (played by a teen and not a twentysomething) who the viewers knew since 2009 (played by the same child actor) had his first crush on another boy, then a coming out story and his first kiss and sex before he turned 16. Broadcast on Sundays 18.40-19.10 h.
That was revolutionary television, not the Ellen episode and certainly not the stereotypical gay for straights Will & Grace that appeared very dated when I saw them in their time. Steven Carrington in the first two seasons of Dynasty was awesome! My first crush on a gay character!
- I never really cared for Matt, too. And also was happy Steven had a happy relationship with Bart in "The Reunion".
- And don´t forget the German daily soap "Verbotene Liebe" (forbidden love; in which Joan had a guest appearance in 2010)
it had a lot of gay and lesbian couples and one "CrOlli" had a worldwide following. But this show started in the mid 90´s ...

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No I haven't forgotten Chrolli and I also liked Gero von Sterneck the first gay VL had from the beginning in '95. So sad to see Olli with that new young guy this year in the continuation of VL...

Last edited: