Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Dallas the TV series
Dallas Writers Room
JR & Sue Ellen Fan-fiction
Shot Through the Heart
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="CryptCreeper72" data-source="post: 268045" data-attributes="member: 5055"><p>I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.</p><p></p><p>This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.</p><p></p><p>The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of season"Dallas."</p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p>Shot Through the Heart</p><p></p><p>Part Fifty-four:</p><p></p><p>***.</p><p></p><p>"You have to go," Sue Ellen said softly.</p><p></p><p>JR studied his wife carefully. She was sitting on the edge of the bed in what had been their bedroom at Southfork. She looked pale and weak, as if a burst of wind could blow her over. "I can't leave you," he finally said.</p><p></p><p>"JR, I'm pregnant. I'm starting to struggle with nausea and exhaustion. My body is changing. It's all perfectly normal."</p><p></p><p>"All this drama isn't normal," he shot back. "Someone has to meet with the custody lawyer and get Cliff to agree to go after the baby. Someone has to work with the DA to make sure Kristen is put away. Someone has to handle your mother…"</p><p></p><p>"And I can do all of that," Sue Ellen said firmly. "Pam will help me. And you know both she and Lucy will keep an eye on my health for you."</p><p></p><p>"I can't leave you," he said again.</p><p></p><p>"You have to," she sighed. "And you know it."</p><p></p><p>JR growled under his breath and moved to sit down beside her on the bed. "Why? Gary and Bobby are going. They can help Mama."</p><p></p><p>"JR, Jock is still your father. If he dies and you give up your only opportunity to say goodbye, you'll regret it for the rest of your life. You know I'm right."</p><p></p><p>JR swallowed hard and buried his face in his hands. "I didn't want this, Sue Ellen. I don't want him to die."</p><p></p><p>"I know that, sweetheart," she reached out, wrapped her arms around his shoulders, and pulled him close. "I know how much you love him."</p><p></p><p>They sat there together for a long time, JR silently struggling with his emotions and her stroking his head gently and offering him comfort.</p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p>"Everyone ready?" Pam asked her husband.</p><p></p><p>"Yes. Just waiting on JR."</p><p></p><p>"He's telling John Ross goodbye," Pam told him. "Valene will be here in a few hours. Lucy is meeting her at the airport."</p><p></p><p>"Good," Bobby nodded. "Sue Ellen staying here at Southfork?"</p><p></p><p>"Yes. JR insisted she isn't to be left alone."</p><p></p><p>"Good," Bobby said again, glancing at his watch. "We need to get going."</p><p></p><p>"Bobby… I'm so sorry about all of this."</p><p></p><p>"I know, Pam. Me too. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit part of me thinks this is all for the best."</p><p></p><p>"What do you mean?"</p><p></p><p>"If he dies, it all goes away. The fight, the need to dredge up the business with Culver. You and me having to leave Southfork."</p><p></p><p>"It's too high a price to pay for peace."</p><p></p><p>"Is it?" Bobby's voice was flat. "I don't think so, Pam. I really don't think so."</p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p>"They should be landing soon," Donna sighed, checking the time on the clock hanging on the kitchen wall.</p><p></p><p>"Yes," Pam nodded. "They said they'd call when they got to the hospital. Sue Ellen?" She looked over at her friend,"are you okay? You've been awfully quiet."</p><p></p><p>"Just fine, Pam," Sue Ellen gave her a weak smile. "Only thinking about how devastated Miss Ellie must be."</p><p></p><p>"Yes," Lucy breezed into the room, fixed a cup of coffee, and sat down at the table. "For more reasons than one."</p><p></p><p>"Is Valene getting settled?" Pam asked her.</p><p></p><p>"Yeah," Lucy nodded. "She's unpacking."</p><p></p><p>Sue Ellen stood up and walked over to the window. "If Jock dies, all of our lives are going to change."</p><p></p><p>"For the better," Lucy muttered.</p><p></p><p>"Not necessarily," Sue Ellen shook her head. "JR is going to have a hard time dealing with his grief. And his guilt. I'm afraid…"</p><p></p><p>"Afraid of what?" Donna pushed her.</p><p></p><p>"That he might do back to his old ways," Val interrupted from the doorway. </p><p></p><p>"Yes," Sue Ellen brushed a tear away from her cheek. "How did you know?"</p><p></p><p>"Because I have the same fear about Gary," Val shrugged and took a seat at the table. "Hating a father who is alive and well and making everyone miserable is one thing. Living with the guilt over that hate once he's gone? That's a whole different ball of wax."</p><p></p><p>"You think Daddy might start drinking again?" Lucy asked her mother.</p><p></p><p>"I don't know. But I think he'll be tempted. And I think JR will be tempted to slide back into his schemes. And I think Bobby will be tempted to withdraw from his brothers and blame them."</p><p></p><p>"Jesus," Lucy groaned.</p><p></p><p>"I know I'm the new girl around here," Donna spoke up, "but I don't think you're giving our men enough credit. Things have changed. They have each other now. They've worked out all their problems. I think this might actually bring them closer together."</p><p></p><p>"I agree with Donna," Pam said softly. "They have each other. And they have us. We won't let them get too far down into their rabbit holes."</p><p></p><p>"I hope you're right but…" Sue Ellen's words were lost when the phone rang.</p><p></p><p>Lucy stood up and answered it. "Hello? Yeah. Okay. No, Uncle JR, she's fine. I'll tell her. Call us as soon as you know anything. Okay."</p><p></p><p>Lucy hung up the receiver and turned back to face the other women. "That was JR. They're at the hospital. Grandma seems to be holding it together. He said he'd call when he knew more. Oh, Sue Ellen, he said to tell you he loves you."</p><p></p><p>"I'll make another pot of coffee," Donna said, standing up. "It's going to be a very long night."</p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p>"Sorry," JR barked out in annoyance. "I don't understand a word you just said."</p><p></p><p>"Me either," Ray grumbled.</p><p></p><p>"Alright," the doctor sighed. "Let me put it in layman's terms if I can. Your father hasn't been taking his medication. Blood thinners were prescribed to prevent blood clots. He hasn't been taking them."</p><p></p><p>"And so blood clots caused the stroke?" Gary asked.</p><p></p><p>"Yes, but you need to understand that your father has suffered a series of strokes over the last several weeks. Even if he survives this latest stroke - and I won't lie to you, the odds are not in his favor - he will never be the same."</p><p></p><p>"What exactly are you saying?" Bobby pushed him.</p><p></p><p>"Your father has suffered several heart attacks and several strokes. The lack of oxygen to his brain and the damage from the strokes - he won't be able to function normally. He'll be bedridden and unable to communicate."</p><p></p><p>"Are you telling us our father is going to be a vegetable?" JR demanded.</p><p></p><p>"For lack of a better term, yes," the doctor said evenly. "If he survives that is, which does not look likely at the moment."</p><p></p><p>Ellie burst out sobbing and Bobby moved to take her into his arms. "We understand, doctor. Thank you."</p><p></p><p>The doctor nodded and left them alone. Bobby soothed his mother, but lifted his eyes to meet JR's.</p><p></p><p>JR turned his head away to avoid his brother's gaze. </p><p></p><p>His daddy was gone. And it was hard not to think he was at least partially responsible for it.</p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p>Harv Smithfield downed a shot of whiskey in one gulp. He rarely drank alcohol, but after hearing about Jock Ewing's stroke he needed to calm his nerves.</p><p></p><p>Harv had done everything within his power to keep Jock from making trouble. He'd delayed executing many of Jock's Instructions, hoping that Jock would snap out of his rage and change his mind.</p><p></p><p>But he hadn't been able to delay the new will.</p><p></p><p>And now… if Jock died…</p><p></p><p>The Ewing boys would be at each other's throats again and Ewing Oil would be destroyed in the fallout.</p><p></p><p>***</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="CryptCreeper72, post: 268045, member: 5055"] I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended. This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot. The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of season"Dallas." *** Shot Through the Heart Part Fifty-four: ***. "You have to go," Sue Ellen said softly. JR studied his wife carefully. She was sitting on the edge of the bed in what had been their bedroom at Southfork. She looked pale and weak, as if a burst of wind could blow her over. "I can't leave you," he finally said. "JR, I'm pregnant. I'm starting to struggle with nausea and exhaustion. My body is changing. It's all perfectly normal." "All this drama isn't normal," he shot back. "Someone has to meet with the custody lawyer and get Cliff to agree to go after the baby. Someone has to work with the DA to make sure Kristen is put away. Someone has to handle your mother…" "And I can do all of that," Sue Ellen said firmly. "Pam will help me. And you know both she and Lucy will keep an eye on my health for you." "I can't leave you," he said again. "You have to," she sighed. "And you know it." JR growled under his breath and moved to sit down beside her on the bed. "Why? Gary and Bobby are going. They can help Mama." "JR, Jock is still your father. If he dies and you give up your only opportunity to say goodbye, you'll regret it for the rest of your life. You know I'm right." JR swallowed hard and buried his face in his hands. "I didn't want this, Sue Ellen. I don't want him to die." "I know that, sweetheart," she reached out, wrapped her arms around his shoulders, and pulled him close. "I know how much you love him." They sat there together for a long time, JR silently struggling with his emotions and her stroking his head gently and offering him comfort. *** "Everyone ready?" Pam asked her husband. "Yes. Just waiting on JR." "He's telling John Ross goodbye," Pam told him. "Valene will be here in a few hours. Lucy is meeting her at the airport." "Good," Bobby nodded. "Sue Ellen staying here at Southfork?" "Yes. JR insisted she isn't to be left alone." "Good," Bobby said again, glancing at his watch. "We need to get going." "Bobby… I'm so sorry about all of this." "I know, Pam. Me too. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit part of me thinks this is all for the best." "What do you mean?" "If he dies, it all goes away. The fight, the need to dredge up the business with Culver. You and me having to leave Southfork." "It's too high a price to pay for peace." "Is it?" Bobby's voice was flat. "I don't think so, Pam. I really don't think so." *** "They should be landing soon," Donna sighed, checking the time on the clock hanging on the kitchen wall. "Yes," Pam nodded. "They said they'd call when they got to the hospital. Sue Ellen?" She looked over at her friend,"are you okay? You've been awfully quiet." "Just fine, Pam," Sue Ellen gave her a weak smile. "Only thinking about how devastated Miss Ellie must be." "Yes," Lucy breezed into the room, fixed a cup of coffee, and sat down at the table. "For more reasons than one." "Is Valene getting settled?" Pam asked her. "Yeah," Lucy nodded. "She's unpacking." Sue Ellen stood up and walked over to the window. "If Jock dies, all of our lives are going to change." "For the better," Lucy muttered. "Not necessarily," Sue Ellen shook her head. "JR is going to have a hard time dealing with his grief. And his guilt. I'm afraid…" "Afraid of what?" Donna pushed her. "That he might do back to his old ways," Val interrupted from the doorway. "Yes," Sue Ellen brushed a tear away from her cheek. "How did you know?" "Because I have the same fear about Gary," Val shrugged and took a seat at the table. "Hating a father who is alive and well and making everyone miserable is one thing. Living with the guilt over that hate once he's gone? That's a whole different ball of wax." "You think Daddy might start drinking again?" Lucy asked her mother. "I don't know. But I think he'll be tempted. And I think JR will be tempted to slide back into his schemes. And I think Bobby will be tempted to withdraw from his brothers and blame them." "Jesus," Lucy groaned. "I know I'm the new girl around here," Donna spoke up, "but I don't think you're giving our men enough credit. Things have changed. They have each other now. They've worked out all their problems. I think this might actually bring them closer together." "I agree with Donna," Pam said softly. "They have each other. And they have us. We won't let them get too far down into their rabbit holes." "I hope you're right but…" Sue Ellen's words were lost when the phone rang. Lucy stood up and answered it. "Hello? Yeah. Okay. No, Uncle JR, she's fine. I'll tell her. Call us as soon as you know anything. Okay." Lucy hung up the receiver and turned back to face the other women. "That was JR. They're at the hospital. Grandma seems to be holding it together. He said he'd call when he knew more. Oh, Sue Ellen, he said to tell you he loves you." "I'll make another pot of coffee," Donna said, standing up. "It's going to be a very long night." *** "Sorry," JR barked out in annoyance. "I don't understand a word you just said." "Me either," Ray grumbled. "Alright," the doctor sighed. "Let me put it in layman's terms if I can. Your father hasn't been taking his medication. Blood thinners were prescribed to prevent blood clots. He hasn't been taking them." "And so blood clots caused the stroke?" Gary asked. "Yes, but you need to understand that your father has suffered a series of strokes over the last several weeks. Even if he survives this latest stroke - and I won't lie to you, the odds are not in his favor - he will never be the same." "What exactly are you saying?" Bobby pushed him. "Your father has suffered several heart attacks and several strokes. The lack of oxygen to his brain and the damage from the strokes - he won't be able to function normally. He'll be bedridden and unable to communicate." "Are you telling us our father is going to be a vegetable?" JR demanded. "For lack of a better term, yes," the doctor said evenly. "If he survives that is, which does not look likely at the moment." Ellie burst out sobbing and Bobby moved to take her into his arms. "We understand, doctor. Thank you." The doctor nodded and left them alone. Bobby soothed his mother, but lifted his eyes to meet JR's. JR turned his head away to avoid his brother's gaze. His daddy was gone. And it was hard not to think he was at least partially responsible for it. *** Harv Smithfield downed a shot of whiskey in one gulp. He rarely drank alcohol, but after hearing about Jock Ewing's stroke he needed to calm his nerves. Harv had done everything within his power to keep Jock from making trouble. He'd delayed executing many of Jock's Instructions, hoping that Jock would snap out of his rage and change his mind. But he hadn't been able to delay the new will. And now… if Jock died… The Ewing boys would be at each other's throats again and Ewing Oil would be destroyed in the fallout. *** [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Dallas the TV series
Dallas Writers Room
JR & Sue Ellen Fan-fiction
Shot Through the Heart
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top