Sue Ellen’s story arc

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I‘ve been rewatching the 80-81 season and I just saw the episode where paralyzed Dusty tells Sue Ellen that he doesn’t want her back, and she tearfully leaves him. Linda Gray really makes me feel for Sue Ellen at this point. She’s a much more sympathetic character than she was just a year earlier.

I wish the rest of her story had played out differently. I would have liked her to see her find the strength to leave JR even without another man to run to. And she gains some financial independence and custody of her son. But she doesn’t return to JR and instead finds happiness with another man - one who isn’t necessarily rich. I wanted to see her grow past her need for the Ewing wealth and status. She never goes back to JR, and instead realizes how wrong her old battle ax of a mom was about marrying rich. JR tries his best to wreck her new life, but can’t. And she leaves the show not hating JR, but pitying him, because she has found fulfillment elsewhere without the Ewing money and drama.

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't know if I would call Sue Ellen a sympathetic person. She eventually left Dusty and when Dusty got married, she had an attitude. She also had the knack of treating people like dirt when her and JR were on good terms. Also, after the divorce settlement, there was absolutely no reason for her to go running back to JR.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
I wanted to see her grow past her need for the Ewing wealth and status. She never goes back to JR, and instead realizes how wrong her old battle ax of a mom was about marrying rich. JR tries his best to wreck her new life, but can’t. And she leaves the show not hating JR, but pitying him, because she has found fulfillment elsewhere without the Ewing money and drama.
But that's an arc for two seasons at most, and i wouldn't want Sue Ellen gone by season 4 or 5 already, she was an important character for the balance of the show.
And the only way to keep a soap on the air for many years is, that the characters DON'T get what the audience wishes for them. Otherwise it would be like 2 or 3 seasons, happy end and bye. Boring. And then this forum wouldn't even exist today. ;)

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I know I’ve probably said this before on other threads but Sue Ellen living on her own in the condo should’ve lasted longer. It was good seeing her away from Southfork for awhile and out from under J.R.’s thumb for a change. It gave the character room to grow.

But ultimately, with the battle for Ewing Oil looming, I can see why there was a rush to get her back “home.” It’s just unfortunate her independence didn’t last longer because I thought it actually made for a promising story.

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't know if I would call Sue Ellen a sympathetic person. She eventually left Dusty and when Dusty got married, she had an attitude. She also had the knack of treating people like dirt when her and JR were on good terms. Also, after the divorce settlement, there was absolutely no reason for her to go running back to JR.
Not a sympathetic person? Obviously a lot of the time no she wasn't, but she left Dusty when he asked her to and later she broke it off with him for his sake, not hers.

She ended it with Clint out of sympathy for his wife. The only reason she had attitude when Dusty married is because he lacked the b**ls to tell her himself and found out they had no trouble being intimate with each other.

She felt it her duty to stick by JR and when they got along she wallowed in his affection towards her. She was off with Bobby because he'd let her down in her eyes and promised he would stop JR putting her in the Sanitarium again and then he left Southfork.

After Cliff and Clayton letting her down Sue Ellen felt alone and lonely and JR manipulated his way to getting her back.

I agree she should've been on her own longer, but JR wasn't going to allow that.

I could barely contain myself when I saw this thread.

Sue Ellen's story arc had began way before this when she went from being selfish and bitchy to being someone the audience rooted for.

During the baby John story Sue Ellen was changing and we got to see how damaged she had really become from JR's abuse. We pitied her when she drank and made out to Miss Ellie her life with JR was wonderful.

Her battle with trying to beat the booze and sort out her life got her to seek professional help all by herself and she went from being numb with depression to being a loving devoted Mother.

The Dusty story showed us how starved of love Sue Ellen was and how affectionate and passionate she could be.

But JR without Sue Ellen was never going to work long term. At least later she grew stronger in their relationship.

Screenshot_20231127_143222_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20231127_122908_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20231116_154247_Chrome.jpg

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Not a sympathetic person? Obviously a lot of the time no she wasn't, but she left Dusty when he asked her to and later she broke it off with him for his sake, not hers.

She ended it with Clint out of sympathy for his wife. The only reason she had attitude when Dusty married is because he lacked the b**ls to tell her himself and found out they had no trouble being intimate with each other.

She felt it her duty to stick by JR and when they got along she wallowed in his affection towards her. She was off with Bobby because he'd let her down in her eyes and promised he would stop JR putting her in the Sanitarium again and then he left Southfork.

After Cliff and Clayton letting her down Sue Ellen felt alone and lonely and JR manipulated his way to getting her back.

I agree she should've been on her own longer, but JR wasn't going to allow that.

Sue Ellen was a grown woman. She let herself down. All those were convenient excuses, but in the end, she allowed JR to manipulate her. Like the saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

Let's be real, Sue Ellen was going to find a way to to eventually leave Dusty because his way of life was boring to her. She's the kind of person that needs drama.

As for Clint, she used him to have an affair after JR slept with Afton. She was never going to leave JR/Southfork for Clint. Clint's wife was just a plot device to put an end to it.

Then you say, "Bobby let her down." Bobby has his own wife and it's not his responsibility to protect her. Dr Elby pretty much explains it be saying that she should have her own strength.

And how exactly did Clayton let her down?

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Then you say, "Bobby let her down."
In her eyes Bobby let her down, she felt betrayed that he'd broken his promise, that's how she saw it.

And how exactly did Clayton let her down?
Clayton once told her she was the daughter he never had.

He never had the guts to tell her he was starting to have feelings for her even when she asked him he replied, "oh I do love you, but not like anyone else who loves you". She was so relieved by his answer.

Then he stayed away when confronted by Afton and JR.

He later expected her to know how he felt.

Screenshot_20231006_012331_Gallery.jpg

Who could forget Sue Ellen's emotional monologue when she confides in brother-in-law Bobby at the sanitarium.

Bobby was good enough to visit her and even took flowers which ended up being thrown to the ground within a few minutes.

Lovely scene with these two, how Bobby just stands and listens while Sue Ellen tearfully describes how she loves JR but he doesn't love her and how she pretends to sleep when he comes home smelling of his "sluts" perfume.

Sue Ellen tells Bobby she wishes she met him first and lands that kiss on him.

At the end Sue Ellen tells Bobby Cliff Barnes is the father of her baby.

Sue Ellen's story arc grew rapidly from this and what an amazing journey it was.

Screenshot_20231204_203041_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231204_204008_YouTube.jpg

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Who could forget Sue Ellen's emotional monologue when she confides in brother-in-law Bobby at the sanitarium
One of my favorite scenes between them. For me it’s right up there with when he visits her condo and they talk about Christopher, Kristin, J.R. and that whole mess. Her hurt feels so very real in both scenes. One on one scenes with Sue Ellen and Bobby didn’t seem to happen often but they were always memorable.

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
it’s right up there with when he visits her condo and they talk about Christopher, Kristin, J.R. and that whole mess
Oh yes I loved that whole adoption thing when Bobby has to ask Sue Ellen for an afferdavit claiming she has no knowledge of the father and doesn't want any claim on the child.

What position to put her in.

Bobby left it until the evening before the hearing to visit her and had JR's relationship with Kristin confirmed and knowing how it would affect her newly blossoming relationship with JR.

And affect it, it did (for a while anyway) with her throwing a necklace at him he'd brought her and leading her straight back into the arms of Cliff Barnes.

Screenshot_20231116_154328_Chrome.jpg

LoganRhinewood

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Please don't throw tomatoes at me now but I've always preferred Bobby and Sue Ellen together instead of what we got. *hides* They just have this gentleness together that I love. And she even says it in one scene - that she ended up with the wrong Ewing. True, true.

As for Sue Ellen's story arc, it's one of my all time favorite arcs of a character on a television show. I love how she goes from JR's shadow to a confident lady who actually manages to beat him at his own game.

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
One on one scenes with Sue Ellen and Bobby didn’t seem to happen often but they were always memorable.
Oh so memorable. Any excuse for me to post about their wonderful scenes together (you know how I feel about these two)
When Bobby asks Sue Ellen why she's leaving Southfork and why her being pregnant would cause problems.

In the nursery when Bobby tells Sue Ellen he would never use what she told him about Cliff and her against her (warning; smashing of a toy)

When Bobby tells her he's visiting baby John and he grabs her to tell her she can't keep ignoring the things that should matter to her.

When he tells her he'll stick by her no matter what the results of the paternity tests.

When JR is trying to make out Sue Ellen is drinking and Bobby tells her not to try and play his game because he's too good at it.

A much later scene when Sue Ellen tells Bobby Peter Richards reminds her of a younger him!

Sue Ellen visits Bobby at the office to ask about Holly Harwood and Bobby says just that once he admires JR for having a wife who's sticking by him in the fight for Ewing Oil.

That's some of my favourite scenes of them as well as the ones mentioned in previous posts.

I've got a bit carried away as usual!

Screenshot_20231205_105632_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20231205_105331_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20231205_105311_YouTube.jpg

Please don't throw tomatoes at me
No tomato throwing from me! Absolutely never.

Agree with every single word you've typed so that's two us in for a good tomato battering!

LoganRhinewood

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ahhh I'm loving this compilation of Bobby/Sue Ellen scenes! That's exactly what I meant when I said they have a certain gentleness with each other. I think Sue Ellen would have been good for Bobby to slow his temper down a little and Bobby would have been good for Sue Ellen because well he wouldn't cheat on her with other women and he'd treat her more like an equal than a possession (although he could be chauvinistic as well at times he usually came around after a while) etc.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh yes I loved that whole adoption thing when Bobby has to ask Sue Ellen for an afferdavit claiming she has no knowledge of the father and doesn't want any claim on the child.
I especially love her reaction when he asks her if she knows who the father of Kristin’s baby is. You can just see the entire wound opening again for her in that moment.

And affect it, it did (for a while anyway) with her throwing a necklace at him he'd brought her
One of my favorite J.R. lines follows that thrown necklace. It’s only four simple words and five syllables but it’s the way he delivers it that’s so priceless.

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It’s only four simple words
Is that when he said, "What the hell happened?"
That look on his face, he looks so bewildered. Things had been going so well between them both.

I've never been able to quite understand what Sue Ellen says to him when he gives her the necklace,
"Reminds me of our marriage, a very expensive choke (as in choker necklace)
Or does she say, "very expensive joke".
All this time that's bugged me and I've played it back hundreds of times and still don't know!

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Is that when he said, "What the hell happened?"
That look on his face, he looks so bewildered.
Yes, that’s the line. I laugh every time he says that. It’s more the way he says it. He delivers it perfectly, and the look on his face makes it even better. It’s not often we got to see a confused J.R. but he played it very well.

I've never been able to quite understand what Sue Ellen says to him when he gives her the necklace,
"Reminds me of our marriage, a very expensive choke (as in choker necklace)
Or does she say, "very expensive joke".
All this time that's bugged me and I've played it back hundreds of times and still don't know!
I’m pretty sure it’s “very expensive joke.” That always made the most sense to me. Then again, I never even considered “choke” for choker necklace. Perhaps had she tried choking him with the necklace instead of just throwing it at him we’d have our answer?

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sue Ellen's drinking story arc has always been entertaining, sad, desperate and portrayed brilliantly.

It was during the first barbecue episode when we became aware of Sue Ellen's drinking and from then it was a slow burner. She had times of being sober which were generally short lived.

I could literally post about every one of her drunk scenes and would love to read some of your favourites here.

No one could do convincing drunk like Linda. It was nice to hear her discuss her mothers drinking on the interview I posted on 80s Christmas divas and she often talks about how Sue Ellen's drinking helped many fans.

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It was during the first barbecue episode when we became aware of Sue Ellen's drinking and from then it was a slow burner.
the double-fisted red and white wine treatise on unfulfilled marital sexual needs before a table of bewildered old ladies, building up motivation to ride a horse flamboyantly in wobbly circles in front of her husband and brother-in-law, threatening, via literary reference, to strip naked, then giggling at the ensuing brotherly knockout punch

An unequivocal tour de force!

Last edited:

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sue Ellen arrives at Holly Harwood's home to find JR's car outside. Holly had previously being toying with Sue Ellen and set the scene for her to be found in bed with JR.

As Sue Ellen approaches the front door she doesn't want or can't bare to think her husband is cheating again so soon after re-marrying.

After the discovery Sue Ellen leaves and heads straight for a bar as her usual way of coping with the ugly betrayal.
She ends up in Clayton's hotel room after telling the staff she's his sister and Clayton returns to find her drunk in his bed.

Clayton plays down her advances which must've been difficult considering he wanted her not so long before.

They talk the next morning and Sue Ellen explains what happened. She says if she confronted JR he would say, " You going to believe me or your lying eyes".

Miss Ellie finds Sue Ellen there later after she gets drunk again and is hurt Clayton hadn't told her.

Brilliant scenes here from everyone, including the lovely manager of the bar and especially Miss Ellie.

Her drunk scenes make me giggle but they also leave me frustrated as well as feeling so deeply sad for Sue Ellen.

Of course the greater sadness was yet to come for poor Mickey.

Screenshot_20231213_103420_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231213_103816_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231213_104011_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231213_104041_Chrome.jpg