General Hospital Watching General Hospital

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Maybe it's just my years (and years and years :rolleyes: ) of watching soaps, but the Charles Shaughnessy thing doesn't bug me. I'm like "Oh, Mr. Sheffield's now going to be villainous Victor Cassadine? Sure, why not?" It's the same feeling when they kill off a character, then bring back the actor to play a different role. Michael Easton's situation was different, since he had been officially let go and then re-hired for the new role. Roger Howarth's contract status never changed---he just sat out a few months, then returned---probably even kept his dressing room. I saw no need to kill off Franco and have Howarth play a new role, and I was disappointed they decided to have the other characters not notice his resemblance to Franco. Ideally, Austin would have scared the ever-lovin' $hit out of Peter when they ran into one another and Peter could have landed on Chip Roberts's pitchfork.

I'm happy with Morgan being "dead dead" because when he was around, he was Jan Brady to Michael's Marsha....and I think the Michael character is problematic enough without adding jealous screw-up Morgan to the mix. Morgan bore more than a passing resemblance to the recent recurring character of Joey Novak, and we all know how well he went over. The same issues they had with making Morgan relevant can be seen when they try to make Kristina relevant. I think they killed off Morgan mostly because they could not fit him into the family dynamic, and they would have the same problem if he came back.
That's an interesting point, comparing Morgan to Joey Novak. JN came and went. I'm not sure what the point was, to that role.
I think that I see Morgan as a victim of Ava that has been glossed over. Maura West is a terrific actress to make Ava so compelling,
after all the chaos she has caused.
I think with Victor Cassadine, we could see some layers and nuances that should have been shown in Stavros.
Stavros , as played by RKK, could have stayed longer, I always thought that he was underdeveloped

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He left me cold. :hide:

RKK was indeed a hoot as nutty Stavros, but I cannot imagine having him return as a regular character. "Hi, I'm Stavros. On paper I'm in my 70s but since I've been frozen on and off for twenty years, I look the same age as my son, who oddly looks the same age as HIS son despite never being frozen. I'd shake hands, but people tell me my hands are still cold and clammy. Can I just stick my tongue down your throat?"

I still remember RKK's soap debut as Sam Fowler on AW. They had him strip naked and take a nap on Felicia's sofa. Quite a first day on set!

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I see that Kristina Wagner is returning!

I always liked Felicia. I hope that they write a good story for her

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was glad to hear she was available again, and I guess the recent firings have opened up some funding to afford her. KW claims to be on contract, so I guess it will be something substantial. She could be involved in the Maxie/Peter/BaiLouise plotline, or might have something meaningful to contribute to the mystery surrounding Esme's seeming connection to Ryan Chamberlain. Maybe both.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Would like to see the show make some changes.
Not a Nina fan. She has no more purpose on this show - write her out,
and have Sonny/Carly concentrate on a renewed war against Cyrus
I think that Cyrus was Sonny's most formidable adversary, and Jeff Kober is a really good actor

Brook Lynn has emerged as a more layered, complex character with multiple possibilities
What if she became more of a active ELQ participant, if not for Valentin?
Her and Chase together could be a strong duo, with a good story
This Peter/Maxie/Brooklyn story story needs to conclude,
so that BL/Chase could proceed

Charles S as Victor could inject new purpose into the Cassadine story
I could see Spencer gravitating toward Victor,
Nicholas feeling conflicted,
Laura trying to "save" Nicholas and Spencer (even though
I'm kind of over Laura v Cassadines)
Esme manipulating the situation for her own end.
Valentin continue to struggle with the Cassadine legacy, ELQ and Brook Lyn's deception

Don't know how I feel about Alexis because of NLG
I think she has been a bit overbearing on Social Media

Not a Dante fan. I like Drew/Sam

The Liz/Finn pairing isn't working.
Liz hasn't been relevant for a long time.
Bringing back Jeff Weber could revitalize her.

Felicia/ Mac and Robert/Anna could have multiple stories with a mob war, a renewed Cassadine prescence
and anything involving Peter

Would love to hear thoughts/suggestions
We could all agree on wanting a better GH!

Expand Shawn Butler's role

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jeff Kober asked to be released from his contract because, as someone said at the time, "he did not like the direction his character had taken". I never did learn just what part he did not like--the random killings and increasing malice, or the "softening" we saw when he appeared to be trying to win the approval of his mother and/or Laura. Whatever the case, if he asked for--and received!--permission to drop out of a long-term plot like that, I can't see the show trusting him with another long-term plotline. His brief "drop-ins" keeps the character in the mix without actually impacting stories, so they may not want to invest much more in the character/actor.

I like the softened "Smike" version of Sonny, because for the first time in ages, Sonny is unpredictable. I detest Carly, so anything he does that bothers/upsets her is fine in my book.

It would take more time, but I'd like them to ease Sonny out of the mobster role altogether. Let Ms. Wu be the Last (Wo)Man Standing and have a truce declared that allows her family to peacefully take over Sonny's territory, and eventually have no one even mention mob activity in Port Charles.

I've nursed this plot idea for years and still want to see it: Willow, not Nelle, is Nina's daughter. Easiest explanation would be that Harmony gave birth at the same hospital where comatose Nina was, and she switched her baby with Nina's because she wanted her child (who grew up to be Nelle) to inherit the Reeves fortune. Little did Harmony know that Madeline had other plans for that kid.

Peter will end up pleasantly (for me, anyway) dead dead, as in "we see him die and they donate several of his organs and send the rest through the shredder" (last part optional). Right now I hope it is an accident (something spectacularly macabre/gruesome) rather than an outright murder, something where the mouse falls into his own trap or something in the manner of David Kimble's death on Y&R. If it has to be a multi-suspect murder mystery that drags out uncomfortably, I'm okay with that as long as they have daily flashbacks to the gruesome death scene so we can re-live the good times. :dance:

I'm on the fence as to whether I'd prefer Liz/Drew or Sam/Drew. CM has turned out to be a really, really good recast. Liz needs a new man in her life, and Finn ain't it. But I do not want to sit through another triangle between these two women, so we need to find someone for each of them. Would they take another trip to the well with Monaco and Easton?

Chase and BrookLynn seems like a great pairing-to-be, as is Anna/Valentin. Brando and Sasha ought not to be as interesting and watchable as they are (credit to the actors). Maxie needs a Nathan-esque, true-blue love interest as a palate cleanser after this Peter fiasco--maybe Austin has a younger brother?

Would that silver-tongued devil Victor Cassadine try to turn Monica Quartermaine's head? Victor seems to be wanting to "re-assemble" the Cassadine family as a working unit (with him as patriarch, of course) but they would logically butt heads with PC's pre-eminent Quartermaine family eventually.

I've also nursed along a "While You Were Sleeping" plotline for Nina, which might be more viable now that Victor (who ran the Crichton-Clark facility where Nina "slept") is back on the canvas. It would involve Nina, Victor, Liesl, Madeline (Donna Mills in flashbacks!!), maybe even Michael Easton in flashbacks as Silas. What if Nina did not stay comatose for that entire 20-year period? What if the clinic revived her as part of one of their sinister experiments, but Nina simply doesn't remember this happening, or what she did (or what was done to her) in that period? The only people who would know are all dead....except Victor, and possibly Liesl, though that might be a stretch. She'd be the one to uncover the secret, though, because she knows the "real" Victor and what went on at that clinic of his.

Last edited:

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
It's that time of year when Soap Opera Digest picks up the best and worst of the year. Here are the results that include GH.

Best Show: General Hospital
Best New Couple: Anna and Valentin
Best Triangle: Trina / Spencer / Esme
Best Breakup: Maxie and Peter
Worst Breakup: Liz and Franco
Worst Use of History: Finn is (n't) Chase's Dad

Do you agree with the choices? I do: GH is the best show!

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have to begrudgingly agree with this. But I think it’s a case of it being the best show more by default than anything else.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's that time of year when Soap Opera Digest picks up the best and worst of the year. Here are the results that include GH.

Best New Couple: Anna and Valentin
Best Triangle: Trina / Spencer / Esme
Best Breakup: Maxie and Peter
Worst Breakup: Liz and Franco
Worst Use of History: Finn is (n't) Chase's Dad

Do you agree with the choices? I do: GH is the best show!

GH for best show, I'm perfectly ok with that. But Anna & Valentin as best new couple? Nah. I prefer Anna & Finn, and Nina & Valentin. I agree with Liz & Franco as worst break-up. Why??? They were great together. So unnecessary to kill off Franco.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Perhaps that was what they were getting at---that breaking up Liz and Franco (by killing him off) was a lousy story. Now that I've seen enough of Howarth's new character Austin, I think they should have just stuck with Franco. Sometimes these "awards" are purposely worded ambiguously as a way of getting around saying something overtly negative.

I agree GH is the best show this year, but it's not an enthusiastic declaration.
I think the actors are loving Anna/Valentin--you can see Hughes and Stuart adding extra flourishes to their scenes (calling each other "darling"; lingering in their hand-holding longer than the scene dictates; excessive eye contact) that they did not really do in previous pairings. The character of Anna is in DESPERATE need of rehabilitation in the wake of this whole Peter August story, and a really good romance is a great way to make us forget how the Peter plot made her look like a total fool for years.
I think they should have named that kid playing Spencer as a "Best New Find" or something like that, because he hit the ground running.
I assume the "Best Breakup" mention had to do with the wedding implosion and not the storyline overall, since the only pleasant part of that whole pairing was when Maxie was saved from being actually married to him. Well, that along with the hilarious scenes on Thursday when Maxie was encouraging Sonny to kill Peter for her. She was like a teenager begging daddy to buy her a car. Those scenes made me chuckle, especially since the knives do seem to be out for him at llooooooooooooong last.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I am a fan, but its too slow moving right now. Bring this Maxie/BL/Peter/Chase deception to a conclusion, the story has gone on too long.
Let's see an upcoming mob war with Sonny/Cyrus/Mrs Wu, and a renewed Cassadine presence led by Victor.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm assuming that the poisoned food Brad served to Peter was not meant to kill him---it'll likely make him sick and put him back in the hospital, though, allowing any number of possible assailants to have access to kill him. Ms. Wu was very clear that Peter's fate would hinge on the timing of Brad's parole/release from jail. Though she agreed to the hit, she would only do 'half the job' (poison him to demonstrate her ability to get the job done "for real") in anticipation of Sonny holding up his end of the deal. If asshat Michael manages to screw this up for Ms. Wu and Brad, then she can say "Well, since you can't control your son, I'm not going to finish the hit on Peter. And now, your son has a target on his back." But since Parry Shen is back on the show, we have to assume Brad will get sprung. And the Wu crime family will only be one of many on the list of suspects when Peter gets killed off. I'm picturing that scene in Airplane! where all the passengers line up to slap around the hysterical woman that was annoying everyone with her raving.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
When real life gets more interesting than GH life.

Almost two months after their colorful wedding, this soap-supercouple splits:

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When real life gets more interesting than GH life.

I figured this would turn into a lawsuit at some point. I guess it was only a matter of time til it got even uglier.

Almost two months after their colorful wedding, this soap-supercouple splits:

This is very disappointing to hear. They seemed very happy together. I wonder why it went south so quickly.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I have the impression that Ingo Rademacher's aim is not to win, but to attract attention. Perhaps he is hoping those who share his views on Covid will buy his wife's products. After all, he has to live on something. I cannot imagine that he will ever be seen again as an actor.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Chad Duell had another short-lived marriage a while back. I may be remembering incorrectly (since, to be honest this BTS stuff doesn't interest me much) but he was married, then divorced soon after Kristen Alderson joined the GH cast as Michael's love interest, Starr Manning (later Kiki Jerome). It was gossiped about whether they began dating before or after he divorced (wink wink), but they were quickly seen dating around town. Then all of a sudden they were no longer dating and she opted to leave GH. Obviously this thing with Courtney Hope is even stranger, since they'd been dating for a while, had that bizarre "Goth" wedding, and boom! She's scrubbed every photo of him from her social media and gone silent. A quick end like that suggests someone cheated or told some sort of whopper lie that broke them up.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Brando and Sasha ought not to be as interesting and watchable as they are (credit to the actors).
I'm amazed that both of them have such challenging material. I actually thought that, like most children at GH, the baby would be born with difficulty and then everything would be fine. Didn't any of the writers / producers suspect that neither Sasha nor Brando had the acting range to convey this credibly and, above all, compassionately? I'm even a little disappointed with Gladys. I always thought she was a good actress, but this storyline shows where her limits are. What she offers is still above soap average, but Carly or Nina are much stronger at playing worried women.

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess we will have to disagree about Mattson and Wactor--I was pleasantly surprised at the good chemistry between the two, and though this storyline is a dreadful idea ("Hey look---a dead baby! Merry Christmas everyone!") I think they're doing a good job. Mattson could especially be forgiven if she "mentally checked out" during the story, since she just gave birth for real and it's grossly unfair of the writers to have her play this stuff.

My fear is that the only reason they did this was to break up Sasha and Brando in order to shove Brando into a role as Sonny's new enforcer/hitman now that Jason's "dead". Killing a baby just so Sonny can have a new errand-boy? Ugggh. There is usually some "house-cleaning" (budget tightening) around the beginning of the year at soaps, so perhaps this is setting the stage to write one or both of them out, and hopefully they could take Gladys with them.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'll admit my projection was that the baby would arrive, they'd be all happied-up and perfect....then they'd leave town (be written out) and never brought up again.