General Hospital Watching General Hospital

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Extremely disappointed if Nicolas is gone. He has been on the show as long as Liz, and I would rather see Nicolas stay than Liz, who I view as
self-centered hypocrite. Maybe the goal is that TPTB want to shut out a TC return.
I think Adam Huss could be a good permanent Nicolas. He reminds me of Stavros, visually.
Ava is a terrible person, but Maura West is an outstanding actress.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
While sitting in a waiting room this morning I saw a commercial airing for GH. The sound was not on, but I saw an intriguing headline: The Hook is Back!, as they showed the hook being held up in the air. I was left wondering if this is an outdated commercial aired by accident, or if we're about to find out there were two people (not just Heather) running around hooking people.

I got to see today's episode live. I saw Heather in custody being her typical evasive and manipulative self. When Sasha pressed her on Brando's death, Heather seemed to genuinely not know who that is/was. The writers seem to be playing a game with viewers, making it seem like they're going to blame all the hookings on Heather, but that commercial I saw re-ignited my belief that there was one hook killer who went after Ava, Brando, and Diane, while Heather decided to be the copycat killer and took out Oz, Britt, Rory, and obviously Austin (the actual victim lists may vary). Now the OG killer has sharpened up the hook and gotten a second wind as one last Sweeps surprise. This Sweeps month has been so good that I really hope it's a shock reveal.

I hope Ryan is finally dead.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I really enjoyed Ryan's showdown, especially the scenes with Ava and Felicia, and I was amazed that Ryan had to die so soon, but Heather is definitely not going anywhere. As soon as Esme gets her memory back, hopefully sooner than later, she will seek closeness with her mother.

I enjoyed the wedding drama more than expected, also because there were twists that I didn't see coming. What I liked most was how Taggert comforted Trina and when he hugged her you could see what he was really feeling and that he was just being brave. Unfortunately, he was too understanding towards Portia, and I've also seen Curtis more quick-tempered towards others in the past than towards his wife right now. In fact, he was more reproachful to Jordan than to Portia.

I'm glad Elizabeth confessed. I already envisioned her being blackmailed by Esme in a few weeks or months and I didn't want to see that, so I'm relieved that she's now open to new storylines, hopefully not with Finn.

Last edited:

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I really enjoyed Ryan's showdown, especially the scenes with Ava and Felicia, and I was amazed that Ryan had to die so soon, but Heather is definitely not going anywhere. As soon as Esme gets her memory back, hopefully sooner than later, she will seek closeness with her mother.

I enjoyed the wedding drama more than expected, also because there were twists that I didn't see coming. What I liked most was how Taggert comforted Trina and when he hugged her you could see what he was really feeling it and that he was just being brave. Unfortunately, he was too understanding towards Portia, and I've also seen Curtis more quick-tempered towards others in the past than towards his wife right now. In fact, he was more reproachful to Jordan than to Portia.

I'm glad Elizabeth confessed. I already envisioned her being blackmailed by Esme in a few weeks or months and I didn't want to see that, so I'm relieved that she's now open to new storylines, hopefully not with Finn.
Liz could have a good new story line, if the writers could work on it.
Wouldn't Liz be subject to some sort of discipline by the Hospital? She must have broken some sort of conduct standard for nurses, and where did she get the medication?
This would be a chance to write Liz in a new occupation, in a new context.

Heather is not finished with Laura, it appears. I think this is the first time the two characters have interacted. I don't recall
any Genie Francis and Robin Mattson scenes together..

Ryan was a great villain, but I guess he has run his course.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Heather is not finished with Laura, it appears. I think this is the first time the two characters have interacted. I don't recall
any Genie Francis and Robin Mattson scenes together..

Ryan was a great villain, but I guess he has run his course.
"We could be grammies together!" ----Heather to Laura as she's carted off :lol:

The grandparents of Esme's baby are Ryan Chamberlain, Heather Webber, Stavros Cassadine, and Laura Collins.
All together now: "Which one of these is not like the others?"

Not that I should be giving tips to murderers on getting away with things, but if Ava were to toss Nikolas's corpse* into a warm body of water (like say, submerge him in a jacuzzi), it would obscure the time of death enough for no one to question an assertion that Ryan clubbed her husband over the head and killed him. He died (or "died") roughly twelve hours before Ryan and Co. showed up on Spoon Island, and if Ava were to play her cards right, she could have Ryan take the rap for her crime.

* If he's even dead, which is unlikely.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Calling it now.....

The mystery female relative that Austin and Mason are working for is.....Tracy.

For the longest time they have been low-key setting up a plot where Austin has been keeping a secret with his cousin (?) Mason from Pautuk. Austin had to keep doing 'favors' at Mason's insistence, dropping lines about how "she" will be upset if Austin doesn't do what she wants. On the night Ava clubbed Nikolas, Mason was about to come over to Spoon Island to threaten Ava for some reason. This is why Austin came over--to warn her about Mason. Instead, he got involved in Ava trying to hide Nikolas and come up with a cover story, with apparently no sign of Mason. Now we see that Mason actually "saved" Nikolas---or at least moved comatose Nikolas someplace to get him hooked up to appropriate machines, etc. without telling Austin (or anyone else--except the person he was talking to on the phone).

So why do I think it's Tracy? Well number one, Jane Elliot is returning (yay!) for the 60th anniversary stories. Number two, she is a relative of Austin's---his aunt. Most importantly, I think she's been offscreen trying to collect the dirt on Victor Cassadine and his role in the "murder" of Luke last year. Now, with Nikolas in a secret location, she has a huge negotiating chip in the form of the Cassadine heir. She might have discovered that Victor actually had Luke locked up on Cassadine Island, and she plans to organize a "prisoner swap" of sorts. Victor knows that if Luke gets free and combines forces with all the others (Laura, Robert, Felicia, Anna, Mac, etc.) then he won't be able to finalize his efforts to re-activate Mikkos's Weather Machine, which has been his big, super-secret supervillain goal all this time. Would Victor choose his Weather Machine dreams over his nephew? Maybe newly-recast Nikolas would have to choose whether to stop his uncle's nonsense, or choose to go over to the dark side permanently?

Last edited:

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Avery Pohl shared a story about how Esme started the fire and it didn't go as planned.

"When Esme had to set the Christmas tree on fire, I was supposed to light a match on the floor and it was not working. I probably went through about seven matches before they were like, ‘Okay, somebody just stand behind her with a lighter and light this thing so we can move on.’ I even tried it while the cameras weren’t rolling and it wouldn’t light. Then Alex in our prop department tried it once and got it to light!"

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
And just like that Carly is once again in a storyline she has nothing to do with - and should have nothing to do with. Lets see what happens. Lucy amuses me, but I think some other viewers are annoyed with her.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
At this point I think the writers are genuinely trolling those of us who complain that Carly is over-exposed. Next week she will secretly run a DNA test on Trina to find out if Taggert or Curtis is Trina's father. And since Carly has a decades-long history of keeping kids away from their parents, she will likely convince herself not to tell anyone the results, since she of course knows best. She will then head across town to get Gregory to tell her what disease he has so she can keep the news from both Finn and Chase for their own good. She will then drop by the hospital to let Terry know Monica has hired her to be the new co-Chief of Staff at GH since Monica sees Carly as a surrogate daughter nowadays.

And finally, she will stop by the Nurses Ball, where everyone in town will gather on stage to dedicate the whole event to her. Robin will fly out from California to give a speech about how Carly spreads love everywhere she goes. Brenda will fly in from Europe to unveil a Madonna-style statue she had commissioned featuring Carly holding some random baby (since she's taken away so many random babies over the years). Ava will offer to display the statue at the gallery, and the statue's saintly glow turns the Jerome Gallery into a side-trip on religious pilgrimages to Lourdes. only instead of the faithful visiting to kiss the statue's forehead, they all kiss her ass.

Last edited:

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
At this point I think the writers are genuinely trolling those of us who complain that Carly is over-exposed. Next week she will secretly run a DNA test on Trina to find out if Taggert or Curtis is Trina's father. And since Carly has a decades-long history of keeping kids away from their parents, she will likely convince herself not to tell anyone the results, since she of course knows best. She will then head across town to get Gregory to tell her what disease he has so she can keep the news from both Finn and Chase for their own good. She will then drop by the hospital to let Terry know Monica has hired her to be the new co-Chief of Staff at GH since Monica sees Carly as a surrogate daughter nowadays.

And finally, she will stop by the Nurses Ball, where everyone in town will gather on stage to dedicate the whole event to her. Robin will fly out from California to give a speech about how Carly spreads love everywhere she goes. Brenda will fly in from Europe to unveil a Madonna-style statue she had commissioned featuring Carly holding some random baby (since she's taken away so many random babies over the years). Ava will offer to display the statue at the gallery, and the statue's saintly glow turns the Jerome Gallery into a side-trip on religious pilgrimages to Lourdes. only instead of the faithful visiting to kiss the statue's forehead, they all kiss her ass.
Unfortunately, the writers may be considering this! LOL

I am not a Carly basher, but I do agree that she has been unrealistically elevated. If Sonny was going to stray from Carly, I would have preferred a Lily look-a-like (or almost anyone else) to Nina (Ugh) who is a repulsive self-centered hypocrite.
On another note, the writing has been awful.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I like Carly, always have, but I do tend to agree that she may be just a trifle over exposed at this point. This does happen on daytime soaps with certain characters. It’s really nothing new but I think there’s a fine line between extending a good character outwards a little more into others lives and putting a character smack dab in the middle of everything, even storylines that don’t concern them or have anything to do with them. I call it the later years Reva Shayne Syndrome.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The thing with Liz and the photo of her parents was just beyond the pale for me. Carly goes to Liz's house as if they're old friends (they are not) and manages to insert herself into Liz's issues with her parents. In the course of the visit Carly takes it upon herself to steal a photo of Liz's parents from Liz's home, preventing Liz from destroying it. Months later, when Liz's anger toward her parents has subsided a bit, Carly is there to whip that photo out of her purse (we assume she's been carrying it around all this time) and give it back to Liz. It's a transparent attempt at making Carly look wise and benevolent (dare I say empathetic) when she was actually just minding other people's business and sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong. Never mind the issue of stealing a highly personal item from Liz's home (and thinking it was perfectly acceptable to do so).

The Reva Shayne comparison is a good one, especially considering Laura Wright played Reva's sister through most of Kim Zimmer's excesses on GL. I think the main difference between the two characters is that Carly was a polarizing figure well before she "ate the show", whereas I think Reva became a polarizing figure because she "ate the show".

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I like Carly, always have, but I do tend to agree that she may be just a trifle over exposed at this point. This does happen on daytime soaps with certain characters. It’s really nothing new but I think there’s a fine line between extending a good character outwards a little more into others lives and putting a character smack dab in the middle of everything, even storylines that don’t concern them or have anything to do with them. I call it the later years Reva Shayne Syndrome.
I would agree that there is too much Carly, but that is not the main problem with the show. The writing is sub-standard - characters are portrayed inconsistently, history is rewritten to a ridiculous degree and too many couples have no chemistry.

I will be fair by naming some positives.

Anna / Valentin, Brook Lyn and Chase, and, as much as I hate to say, Cody/Sasha are good couplings.
Charles S. is a great casting decision as Victor Cassadine, and I am always on board with Gregory Harrison in any role.
Vernee Watson is a terrific actress. I have grown to like the Marshall character.
Lynn Herring is great is any scene. The young man who plays Spencer is outstanding.

There are too many negatives to list. That is for another day.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
The thing with Liz and the photo of her parents was just beyond the pale for me. Carly goes to Liz's house as if they're old friends (they are not) and manages to insert herself into Liz's issues with her parents. In the course of the visit Carly takes it upon herself to steal a photo of Liz's parents from Liz's home, preventing Liz from destroying it. Months later, when Liz's anger toward her parents has subsided a bit, Carly is there to whip that photo out of her purse (we assume she's been carrying it around all this time) and give it back to Liz. It's a transparent attempt at making Carly look wise and benevolent (dare I say empathetic) when she was actually just minding other people's business and sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong. Never mind the issue of stealing a highly personal item from Liz's home (and thinking it was perfectly acceptable to do so).

The Reva Shayne comparison is a good one, especially considering Laura Wright played Reva's sister through most of Kim Zimmer's excesses on GL. I think the main difference between the two characters is that Carly was a polarizing figure well before she "ate the show", whereas I think Reva became a polarizing figure because she "ate the show".
Good insights. Maybe Carly /Liz became more friendly as a result of Cameron/Joss (but no more).
I thought the subplot with Liz's parents was written haphazardly and botched. There could have been so much more story if PTB had
supported it. Nothing against Billy Moses and Denise Crosby - they did the best they could with substandard material

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have no way of knowing, but I get the impression Billy Moses ran as fast and as far away as he could when given the chance. Actors on recurring can come and go as they please, and though they got Denise Crosby back to play a few more scenes, Moses was totally MIA and no one seems to have any idea if "Jeff" ever plans to return. Jeff was supposed to be the "big return," so I can see why Carolyn can't really stick around without him. "Botched" doesn't even begin to cover the way it played out. Maybe someday we will eventually get the true details on why a story that had "good soap" written all over it ended up such a mess.

It looks as if the show isn't even making an effort to explain why Monica is not around. They used to toss in dialogue like "She's at a conference" or "She's on a cruise" but she's been glaringly missing from all the Quartermaine dramas as well as the hospital-related stories with no mention of her. When Liz's nursing license was up for review this week, they went on and on about all the people testifying on her behalf, even bringing up out-of-town characters like Robin and Griffin (!), but nary a word about the opinions of the Chairman of the Board of GH, Dr. Monica Quartermaine. I'm worried that Leslie Charleson (who wasn't even included in the 60th Anniversary cast photo shoots) is too ill to continue, and the show will just attempt to airbrush the character out of existence. Cody was recently referring to "Mama Q" as ruling the roost around there and I foolishly thought he was referring to "Moni-Q" (as a nickname for "Monica Q")....only to realize "Mama Q" is his name for Olivia. If they have Cody treating Olivia as the mistress of the Quartermaine mansion, it's a cause for worry if you like Monica as much as I do, since we all know that it's Monica's house...Alan gave it to her. With Tracy's return looming large, I have to wonder if they will have LC make a triumphant return (if not just to utter her immortal line), or if the show will finally give us some sort of confirmation that she's retiring or something.

Last edited:

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I really enjoyed the Epiphany tribute episode. I could have done without that Willow stuff, but the rest moved me.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm hearing great things about it....I'm not usually one to 'look it up on hulu' (or wherever) but I'm planning to find it this weekend.

Willow making an appearance sounds ridiculously soapy, but does the entire town know about her rapidly-approaching sell-by date? Obviously the family and immediate friends know, but if everyone knew I had one foot in the grave (and another on a banana peel) I would skip such an event out of fear it would make Pif's memorial service about myself. Sort of like that couple who steal the bride's thunder by getting engaged at the reception of their friends' wedding.

My above fears about Leslie Charleson were semi-abated when I read that she did the voice-over for the letter Liz got. Sounds to me like LC may just have trouble getting around, since we last heard she tripped over her dogs and hurt herself (though that was over a year ago). Maybe if she wants to return eventually they can do the sort of stuff they do for Eric Braeden and did for Susan Flannery in scenes, filming LC seated or standing in place rather than walking around the set. She can sit at her office desk throwing darts at her Tracy dartboard. :llooll:

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
So far the nurses' ball is looking good, but I have to admit, although it's always mentioned, I don't have the anniversary spirit that I had at the 50th, which was a blast. But GH's 60th is still worlds better than Y&R's 50th, which becomes a bigger disappointment with each episode.

I hope Michael & Willow won't be commenting on the entire Nurses Ball from the couch. They are definitely not Britt & Brad.

Why was Trina allowed to walk the red carpet alone? Has she been a local celebrity since she went to court?

No joke, not a minute before Chandra Wilson's character told Sonny he looked more handsome than ever, I thought he'd never looked worse in a tuxedo.

I feel sorry for James Russo. He impressively terrorized Farah Fawcett in Extremities in the '80s and now he's no more than Victor's sidekick.