What was the last book you read?

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
that is really nice though they would do that for each other, as for her writing she once said she did it to try something different after writing so many books in the 1st person i think she was ready to try something new for the series, but i was watching a stream she did last December while promoting Autopsy and she was talking about how she didn't hear any fans at all complain about the change and that they didn't like it and when she did them eventually she stopped writing them in the 3rd person and by than she had written 6 books that way.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Macbeth by Jo Nesbo. An updated version of the "Scottish play" set in a city's corrupt political machine. This is the first book of Nesbo's that I have read. A real page turner.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
9780571320257.jpg

This is the prequel to Yeah Yeah Yeah: The Story of Modern Pop which is my absolute bible. I'm up to Chapter 8, jazz has been invented and Louis Armstrong, aka "the most influential singer America had yet produced", has just rocked up.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Carrying the Fire
Autobiography of Michael Collins, the so-called third man of Apollo 11 who remained in lunar orbit while Armstrong and Aldrin were on the surface.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Borstal Boy- Brendan Behan. Behan's account of his time in a British prison when he was 16 and the bonds he formed with other British prisoners. Wonderful book that made me think about the modern day divisions in society. It also confirmed my belief that much of world history is the story of the wrong people fighting each other.
It takes place in England, but Behan's way with words makes me want to once again visit Ireland:)

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Veeck--As In Wreck (1962 autobiography by the great, late, famous [and infamous] owner of several Major League Baseball clubs in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s [most notably, the Chicago White Sox])...

veeck1.jpg

veeck2.jpg

And more on Bill Veeck:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Veeck--As In Wreck (1962 autobiography by the great, late, famous [and infamous] owner of several Major League Baseball clubs in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s [most notably, the Chicago White Sox])...

View attachment 40066

View attachment 40067

And more on Bill Veeck:
As a lifelong baseball fan I’ve always wanted to read this book. He was controversial to say the least but he was a master promoter. He may go down in infamy for Disco Demolition Night but he also did a lot of good for the fans and got them out to the park every night.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Cyborg IV by Martin Caidin
Caidin's third sequel yo his original Cyborg which was the basis for The Six Million Dollar Man,
The title is surprisingly unoriginal (the previous sequels were called Operation Nuke and High Crystal) but the story is not. Steve Austin is connected to an experimental spaceplane, making him essentially one with it.
Caidin can always be relied upon for suspense set within a technological framework believably extrapolated from what is available in its day.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Season Ticket (1988 collection of writings by the great, late baseball journalist Roger Angell)

20220825_064959.jpg

20220825_065008.jpg

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Cold, Cold Ground- Adrian McKinty
The first in his "Sean Duffy" series. Duffy is police officer in Belfast in the very early 1980s on the case of a serial killer. Excellent! Great character and compelling mystery. I am also gaining much more insight into the political and social situation in Northern Ireland at the time, especially with the conflict Duffy has being a Catholic working for the police in that place and time.

Pammy P

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
'All Balls & Glitter' by Craig Revel Horwood