What was the last film you watched?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1666044513032.png

Everything that could have happened in this story....doesn't. It's basically a one-man show and although it's a good show it's not a very funny or intriguing one.
The roles for Dakota Fanning and Theo James are mostly passive and I think that's a shame.
I can't say I hate this movie but I wish I had watched something else instead.

1666045169402.png

The way this story escalates reminds me of CABIN IN THE WOODS.
I don't think I had ever seen a film starring Scarlett Johansson before.
And then there's Morgan Freeman giving a lecture on the human brain which I found kinda tranquilizing but in a very pleasant way.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)

After watching the film Blonde (2022) recently, I felt inspired to watch a couple of Marilyn Monroe films that I hadn't seen before. My first choice was this one and although it feels very dated, it's a lot of fun and very entertaining. Marilyn plays a money digger who is after a man who can fund the lavish lifestyle that she desires and Jane Russell plays who friend who is after a man she finds physically attractive. That's basically all the plot which is held together by a series of musical numbers. The chemistry between the 2 leads is strong and they both play the comedy and musical numbers brilliantly. Although it's a frivolous musical comedy, It's also an empowering tale of 2 women using their wile and friendship to succeed in a world of men.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Niagara (1953)

This film was far darker than I expected. Marilyn plays an unfaithful wife who plots to kill her husband but things don't go according to her plan. The film makes good use of the location although some shots were clearly created in a studio. Marilyn is a clever casting choice as she creates a softer and sympathetic character than would some of her contemporaries such as Kim Novak, Eva Marie Saint or the afore mentioned Jane Russell so although she is the villain, you can still sympathise with her plight. It's a good film and Marilyn proves was an accomplished dramatic actress.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
View attachment 41313
Everything that could have happened in this story....doesn't. It's basically a one-man show and although it's a good show it's not a very funny or intriguing one.
The roles for Dakota Fanning and Theo James are mostly passive and I think that's a shame.
I can't say I hate this movie but I wish I had watched something else instead.

I watched both movies long ago. I kinda liked Richard Gere´s one (did you notice the gay vibes in some of his scenes with Theo?), but I have completely forgotten about "Lucy", except that it sounded like a "Dallas" spin-off.

TaranofPrydain

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Modern Times
1978's A Wedding. One of those giant ensemble Robert Altman films, but unlike Nashville, it never fully comes together, although individual scenes sparkle, and there is a great cast; Carol Burnett, Paul Dooley, Mia Farrow, Dina Merill, Desi Arnaz Jr, Desi Arnaz Jr, Peggy Ann Garner, Margaret Ladd, Geraldine Chaplin, Vivika Lindfors, Dennis Franz, Vittorio Gassmann, and Lillian Gish.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1666225124629.png

A very funny movie about a narcissistic nitwit. His life is falling apart for various reasons and he's trying to understand it but his lack of focus makes it all delightfully chaotic - and sometimes uncomfortably recognizable.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Bullet Train

Action/adventure/comedy/thriller w/Brad Pitt, Joey King et al. (received my copy of the new DVD/Blu-Ray release; saw some last night, and the remainder today; pretty good piece, but has plenty of language and violence; the characters of Ladybug [Pitt] and Prince [King] are the best of the picture, IMO)

20221019_204459.jpg

20221019_204508.jpg

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Luckiest Girl Alive (2022)

Mila Kunis plays a woman who initially seems to have a perfect life: she is about to marry the man she loves and she is a journalist in line to be offered her dream job working for the New York Times. However, all is not what she seems as she is forced to confront an episode from her past that returns to haunt her.

I'm not sure how much I can say about the plot without giving away what happens so I won't describe it in detail. Ms Kuni plays a character called TiffAni (the way the name is written is annoying) who as a girl survived a school shooting which killed several of her classmates and paralysed another who went on to be a politician. The involvement of the characters in the events leading up to shooting and if any of them should bear any of the responsibility for what happened unfolds over the course of the film. It could have been a tense thriller or an empowering story of a woman finding her voice after coming through a childhood horror but it's none of those things, it's more of tale of a victim navigating her new life and I felt this was a weak angle on what was an interesting story and missed opportunity for what could have been a better film.

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
Bumblebee.

Quite frankly, a jolly good movie.
A car morphs into a robot? Why not!

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
My double-feature matinee began with:

A Home Of Your Own (1965)

One of four silent films starring Ronnie Barker which appear on a Blu-ray I purchased recently. This one's great. As well as Ronnie B., there's Richard Briers, Bernard Cribbins, Peter Butterworth plus a whole load of familiar faces from British films of the era.

Making a silent film in 1965 seems like it could be quite a risky prospect, but it's pulled off admirably, and these films no doubt also paved the way for the likes of Mr Bean.

Some of the physical comedy is shocking today due to the flagrant lack of health and safety considerations. Ronnie Stevens comes off the worst in this department. His character falls several times into wet cement face first (while smoking a pipe), then gets a skip load of shingle dumped on him (and it is very visibly him) while sitting in a convertible. Finally, said convertible ends up being picked up by a crane, swinging vigorously while being lifted perhaps thirty storeys into the air and dumped on a high level... with Ronnie sitting (and at one point standing) in the car. I got acrophobic just watching.​

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Next up yesterday afternoon was:

The Sitter (1977)

This is a short film that's been on my viewing bucket list for decades so it was exciting to finally see it. It's essentially the first twenty minutes of When A Stranger Calls, which came along two years later, with the same writer and director. From memory, the dialogue is identical and even many of the shots seem to line up. It's like watching a dry run with a different cast and set.

Truthfully, it's better than I expected. I knew it was low budget and I'd anticipated it feeling far rougher than it is.

When A Stranger Calls and When A Stranger Calls Back are on the same Blu-ray, so I'll get round to re-watching those in HD one of these days. In the meantime, this has hit the spot as a concession to pre-Hallowe'en viewing.

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Heading into Halloween week, I watched a couple long time horror favorites this weekend.

POLTERGEIST (1982) -- Although I watch it almost yearly, this was the first time in ages that I really paid attention to it (vs just something playing in the background). I can see why I loved it as a kid, but this is less of a horror film than a theme park attraction: some strobe lights and a few jump "scares", but not much else. On the plus side, I finally, after 40 years, figured out the dog's name ("E. Buzz").

FRIGHT NIGHT (1985) -- I think it's aging less well than the near contemporaneous THE LOST BOYS, I think it's one of the better vampire movies and one that find a good balance between horror and comedy.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1666998394548.png

Mesmerizing and wonderfully frustrating.
Everything's happening inside a car and I have no idea how they filmed this. People often praise camera work for pretty scenery (which shouldn't be too hard to do if the scenery is pretty) but this is something else.
Oh and by the way, even though this is a one-man show, Olivia Colman is STILL in it!! Needless to say she's also very good as a voice actor.

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Heading into Halloween week, I watched a couple long time horror favorites this weekend.

POLTERGEIST (1982) -- Although I watch it almost yearly, this was the first time in ages that I really paid attention to it (vs just something playing in the background). I can see why I loved it as a kid, but this is less of a horror film than a theme park attraction: some strobe lights and a few jump "scares", but not much else. On the plus side, I finally, after 40 years, figured out the dog's name ("E. Buzz").

FRIGHT NIGHT (1985) -- I think it's aging less well than the near contemporaneous THE LOST BOYS, I think it's one of the better vampire movies and one that find a good balance between horror and comedy.

Great idea for a Halloween weekend, i'm gonne watch a few horror movies too tonight, i'm still not sure whice one well at least one of the Halloween movies with Jamie Lee Curtis. :)

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Good Nurse (2022)

I love film posters and this one is really good.

A jaw-dropping true story of a nurse (played by Eddie Redmayne) who killed patients before moving on to other hospitals to kill more and how his crimes were eventually uncovered. The good nurse in the title is played by Jessica Chastain who is suffering from a life-threatening heart condition and risks her job and life to help get him convicted. The story is fascinating but told a bit too superficially for my liking and up to 400 murders, the police investigation, the motivations and development of the main characters and the ultimate conviction of the killer nurse is all wrapped up in 2 hours. I think the story could have been better served as a multi-part TV series which could have explored the characters in more depth. However, it's still an excellent watch.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Jurrasic World : Dominion (I think that is the title

Odd amalgam. It was part James Bond, Part Mad Scientist, Part Eco-Terror, part Hitchock's "The Birds"
part original "Jurassic Park"

Colin Treverrow simply had too much to do to shape this into a coherent movie - not his fault

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
My Sunday matinee was...

The Selling (2011)

This has been in my Prime watchlist for so long I've forgotten how it ended up there. I must confess I watched it yesterday mainly because I anticipated an interruption and wanted to watch something short that I wouldn't be particularly invested in.

Even from the thumbnail and description, I had a feeling it was going to be a bit cheap and tacky and I wasn't disappointed. The lead actor was pretty much a David-Tennant-alike but with the "aren't I funny?" American sitcom delivery. In fact almost everyone in this film has the same singsong sitcom delivery and rhythm, usually accompanied by quirky music to drive home an intended laugh line. The lack of "names" in the cast was probably more a help than a hindrance. The only person known to me was Barry Bostwick, unrecognisable here since I mostly know him for Brad Majors.

The comedy horror combo is just not my thing usually, as most end up being neither. The same is true here, though there were one or two moments that raised a chortle or two despite my resistance. I wouldn't watch it again, but with low expectations it was harmless enough. And I dare say some would love it.