World Cup Tournament World Cup of 80s Soap Cliffhangers

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Match 1
Sid was one of my favourite Knots Landing characters so to end the season with his life potentially in jeopardy should have been a really impactful finale but it never really stood out for me because I wasn't particularly taken with the storyline that lead up to it. In Dallas, Pam was also one of my favourite characters in that series and the season there also ending with her life potentially in jeopardy and I also found it hard to buy into this ending too. Because of the nonsense of bringing back Bobby after he was killed, I it was hard to believe that they would be prepared to kill her off so with that element gone there wasn't much left to the cliffhanger. However, the earlier events when Wendell tells JR that one of his subsidiary companies bought Ewing Oil was a great scene especially the bit when JR tells Wendell if he touches the portrait of Jock he will kill him where he stands. Overall, the Dallas ending is the stronger so my winner is:

Dallas season 10

Match 2

I liked seeing JR fight because he generally came across as looking weak which was a stark contrast to how he was in business. The Dallas cliffhanger was also interesting because it was one of the few that featured Ray having a prominent role in the finale. However, the culmination of the story of Val's babies in Knots Landing was dynamite stuff. Just we thought she was going to get them back, Harry Fisher drives away with one of the babies so the saga was going to continue. A storyline that gripped us for a whole season was still capable of throwing in a few more twists and turns. My winner for match 2 is:

Knots Landing Season 6

colbyco

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Match 1:
2 car accidents ... which one was the more spectacular? Both main characters left/died after this ... did we expect this?
Both accidents shaked up a family and left a wife/husband alone!

I vote for Dallas season 10 (because it is Dallas ... joking).
Losing Pam was much more shaking and heart breaking and I liked her much much much more than Sid.

Match 2: Knots Landing season 6

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Match 1: DALLAS season 10.

Imho it was unfortunate Don Murray as Sid was written out, after the shocking KL finale. Alas there was no way he was coming back, from that accident. Pam's cliffhanger is just in front, in this contest. So after nine years of 'ups and downs' Victoria left the DALLAS stage. Bobby and Pam's slight flicker of happiness, as regards having a baby was short lived. J.R. and Wendell's showdown was priceless.

Match 2: KNOTS LANDING season 6.

This is a difficult one. There was plenty of drama with the Southfork fire. Oh hell I'm opting for KL. I well and truly felt for Valene.

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. Dallas (not that I enjoyed this terrible exit for VP - it was really Dallas itself crashing into the lorry, never being the same again upon its return)

2. Dallas (though I haven’t seen KL, I can see this would’ve been a great cliffhanger and good without any main dying or in danger - just great character drama, like Sons and Daughters excellent first season cliffhanger)

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
my vote - I coiuldnt vote on the last round as Sue Ellens movie was one of the worst endings to Dallas - like Who cares? - Not me about a silly movie

Match 1 = Dallas Season 10

Match 2 = Dallas Season 6

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Both accidents shaked up a family and left a wife/husband alone!
Thanks colbyco, I knew there was something about Sid versus Pam's fate but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Now I know how I'm going to vote.
Pam had been-there-done-that and it seemed almost impossible to be shaken up by anything at that point which is probably why it returns to the point of season 1 in which a happy Ewing couple and a happy pregnancy was still a possibility. A not so subtle attempt at emotional manipulation.
Sid Fairgate still was very much in that position - husband, father of three, brother, provider, employer, beloved neighbour - and to take that all away is just downright cruel.
The scene is very well done but at the same time I could imagine this was an almost-cancellation cliffhanger that prompted the writers to parody their genre with the most literal cliffhanger and the tropiest of vocal soap tropes "oh my God!", in the same way THE COLBYS gave us the F-U! with their most bizarre cancellation finale.
Nevertheless, that doesn't change the possible outcome of the major family and community tragedy as pointed out by @colbyco.

Also, and at the risk of getting accused of World Cup hooliganism, I feel the need to point out that DYNASTY Alexis' 1987 season finale crash has been scoffed and sniffed at even though it's frame-by-frame identical to Pam's (replace tears with smiles and tissue with car phone).
Even if I didn't want to vote for this Knots cliffhanger, the gloves are off and the knives are out...

Match 1: KNOTS LANDING Season 2

p.s. I love it how DALLAS turned this shocker into a mess of an aftermath, only for that mess to gradually gain an air of mystique that would eventually resonate beautifully in TNT DALLAS.

I"m not sure what KNOTS tries to cliffhanger in season 6, a "so near yet so far away" situation? Would Sheila be able to barricade the house forever, would Harry disappear and leave his wife and other child behind?
It's beautifully done like everything else that came before and after it, but I don't find the prospect that this epic and long-running storyline would continue after a six months hiatus very tantalizing. I was ready to move on.

The competition in this match wouldn't have to do much to beat this one but DALLAS does a lot, and then some.
JR throws a lamp of sorts (kerosene?) at some awkwardly placed burning candles followed by an entertaining fight and a daft attack with a telephone.
Then there's also that story with the drill thing and how the Ewing wife and soon-to-be ex-wife inadvertently create a turning point for JR and Bobby respectively, and Katherine slithering between.
It all seems a bit upstaged by the eventful stuff in the final scenes since the outcome thereof could render Bobby's decision insignificant, assuming there would still be a decision to make.

Match 2: DALLAS Season 6

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Round 2 - Week 6

It's another...

Match 1

This week's less easy choice for me.

In traditional Dallas fashion, Pam's accident comes out of nowhere. It's not the culmination of a big plot, but a big moment with big visuals designed to create a big impression. Which they do. To be fair, most real-life car accidents come out of nowhere, so in that regard Pam's is arguably the more realistic of the two. There is definitely something in the air during this episode, which crackles with a feeling that something is about to happen. The moment Pam mentions her car is making a funny noise, the audience knows it can't end well. Here, instead of a clue that Pam's car is going to have a fail of cliffhanger proportions, it's a device to get her behind the wheel of Bobby's red Mercedes SL: an updated model of the car in which we first met her. The accident may not be the outcome of careful plotting, but care has at least been taken to acknowledge to the audience that Pam's story has come full circle.

There's also the foreshadowing reminiscent of that in A House Divided. If memory serves, the earlier episode had several scenes of JR dramatically exiting his office to swelling music, leading me to believe that they were deliberate fake-outs, either because it was somewhat known that JR would be shot at his office or just in case the rumour got out. In Pam's case, we have her run into the path of an oncoming juggernaut by the boy racers on her way to the clinic. I've always believed this to be another "plant", put in there in case it it became known that Pam would exit in a car crash (which I'm sure it was in the UK). Viewers could watch the scene, think this was the "crash" that newspapers had hyperbolically exaggerated and be lulled into a false sense of security. Because nobody has two car accidents in one day. Do they?

I still have clear memories of watching Pam's accident when it first aired, almost exactly three years on from watching the Dallas cliffhanger that had made a fan out of me. I watched it in my grandparents' bedroom while most of the family was watching something else downstairs. Sports probably. Even by this point, I was one of the few who still cared. However, I do remember outrageous cliffhangers coming up in conversation at school a couple of years later, with comments about the ridiculousness of the car instantly exploding like an oil refinery. Children can be so cruel. And so insightful.

Sid's accident was Knots's first go at a big end-of-season cliffhanger. It strikes the best of both worlds, coming out of a season-long storyline about a stolen car parts ring, but with all roads - including some meddling from JR during a visit or two that year - leading to a memorably exciting final scene. The production values of the episode have a whiff of the Seventies to them, the brakeless car car screeching along the coast road feels as though it's lifted from an older police series or something. It feels endearingly earnest and square jawed. I've never been a fan of the sudden "Oh my God" freeze frame, and feel Knots would have done it in a more cinematic, less Dallas-esque way a year or two later. But it's early doors for the Eighties prime time cliffhanger, with the Who Shot JR? phenomenon of the previous year the model for how to do it. I'm really impressed at how far this episode goes to create a sense that things have changed forever. When the cul-de-sac is protected by armed guards, with the Fairgates practically under house arrest with curtains drawn in the daytime, one really feels that there's no coming back and things have changed forever. It's often forgotten in the mix, but there's also the terrific pre-cliffhanger cliffhanger of Abby receiving the tape from her husband telling her he's taken the children and listing the reasons why she's a terrible mother. Of all the cliffhangers Abby would end up in the centre of, this could well be the most devastating for her because it's an assassination not just of her character, but of those aspects which are her virtues or saving graces. It drives her literally to her knees, howling on the floor with the kind of anguish that shocks not just because of its rawness but also because it's such an atypical response for Abby. Once again, one wonders where the character can go from here. After just two seasons it's a possibility that all avenues with these characters have been explored and exhausted. The characters themselves even comment about the extremities of their current predicaments which seem so far removed from the homely simplicity of middle class suburbia.

The Dallas episode feels more definitively like the end of a chapter. Since it's clear that Pam is very dead(!), if one comes back back to the next season, it's out of a morbid curiosity to see how Dallas works without the character who introduced us to this world and around whom so much of its original storytelling was centred. With the nature of his freeze-frame, it seems far more feasible that Sid could survive. There are no guarantees and the cliffhanger concept is still new, but certainly by the time I first watched this episode in the mid-Nineties, familiar with the cliffhanger concept, it would have been easy to believe we could tune in next time, feel a combination of relief and anti-climax at his dramatic, nick of time escape from the car. Except I already knew otherwise.

It's ironic that both ended up going the unexpected route with the resolutions to these cliffhangers. And both were tragic in very different ways.

Knots Landing - Season Two

Match 2

The post-cliffhanger pickup of the Southfork fire was the first episode I watched in a repeat daytime screening of Season Six in the summer following Bobby's shooting (the episode that made a Dallas fan out of me). I had no idea what was going on, and I must confess that I didn't particularly care. Primary school me just wanted to look for clues regarding Bobby's shooting and was very frustrated to find precious few (I had very little idea of the structure of series in general and, less generally, the seasonal structure of prime time US soap). I'm not sure when I first watched the cliffhanger itself, but it would have been a repeat screening - probably on UK Gold circa 1993. Even then, it didn't make a huge impression on me. I suppose we got off on the wrong foot and so it didn't feel significant for me. I think it was on DVD that I first appreciated the storytelling. This is one of Dallas's more artful cliffhangers because of the way it can be traced back to earlier in the season. The fire is the result of a chain reaction of events in a number of different threads weaved through the season - independently and with different levels of connectivity depending on the point reached in the story. On that level it's impressive.

In terms of pipe-laying for its cliffhanger, Knots is even more impressive. Season Six was one of Knots's longest and I can't think of another example of a storyline taking such a tortuous path to tell what could be loosely called one story. Val had given birth to the twins some six-and-a-half months earlier in viewer time, which might have been a lifetime for all the events that had taken place. Even in that space of time, within the same season, Valene alone had gone from giving birth to grieving to pushing her friends and family away to disappearing from California to Tennessee to an ongoing soap-within-a-soap that followed her entire dissociative personality disorder, right down to walking up the aisle with a new fiance. This was followed by entering therapy and trying to come to terms with her babies' deaths while her friends took the opposite path and went from powerless acceptance to a truth-seeking quest to uncover a black market baby ring. On paper it's all so outrageous, but it's written, played and produced with such truth it never feels anything but truthful.

In the UK, we were four years behind but in a fortunate twist of synchronicity, for most of Season Six we were were exactly four years behind, week-by-week. I watched Val give birth in November 1988, so references to the November birthdates all fitted. And she arrived at the Fishers' home on 24th May 1989: pretty much four years to the day America tuned in to watch that same episode. Brits also had the agonising luxury of a proper hiatus between seasons, and this is the clearest example to me of why it's important to watch TV series' in the way they're intended to be shown. Without those five solid months of the scene resonating and its full, haunting impact taking hold I may have viewed this episode very differently (last week's Season Nine cliffhanger is an example of a cliffhanger not having enough time to resonate with British viewers).

The Long And Winding Road delivers the most effective emotional cliffhanger, because it's driven by character. Every one of the people around the Fishers' home has serious investment in this - all for very different reasons - and we fully understand what each of them is feeling. I dare say my teenage hormones helped. This came along at a time in my life when I was particularly impressionable. But even so, this still stands. In the entire World Cup, I'm fairly sure this is the only example of the hairs on my arms standing to attention just from looking at @Angela Channing's recap.

I realise this is about the moment itself rather than the journey to it but it's important to acknowledge that good storytelling can really affect the way a cliffhanger is viewed. This one can has a far more significant impact when the storytelling makes the viewer feel as subjectively about what happens onscreen as the characters do. It's no exaggeration to say that I've never felt more invested in any prime time soap cliffhanger. Not before, and not since. And I haven't even mentioned that the final scene is accompanied by one of the most beautiful pieces of underscore in TV history.

Dallas ends with an image of its key piece of iconography symbolically burning. Knots ends with a woman in a crop top and cutoffs standing on a lawn outside a house turning to watch a man she's never met return from his trip to the pharmacy. It's no contest.

Knots Landing - Season Six

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Round 2 - Week 6

It's another...

Match 1

This week's less easy choice for me.

In traditional Dallas fashion, Pam's accident comes out of nowhere. It's not the culmination of a big plot, but a big moment with big visuals designed to create a big impression. Which they do. To be fair, most real-life car accidents come out of nowhere, so in that regard Pam's is arguably the more realistic of the two. There is definitely something in the air during this episode, which crackles with a feeling that something is about to happen. The moment Pam mentions her car is making a funny noise, the audience knows it can't end well. Here, instead of a clue that Pam's car is going to have a fail of cliffhanger proportions, it's a device to get her behind the wheel of Bobby's red Mercedes SL: an updated model of the car in which we first met her. The accident may not be the outcome of careful plotting, but care has at least been taken to acknowledge to the audience that Pam's story has come full circle.

There's also the foreshadowing reminiscent of that in A House Divided. If memory serves, the earlier episode had several scenes of JR dramatically exiting his office to swelling music, leading me to believe that they were deliberate fake-outs, either because it was somewhat known that JR would be shot at his office or just in case the rumour got out. In Pam's case, we have her run into the path of an oncoming juggernaut by the boy racers on her way to the clinic. I've always believed this to be another "plant", put in there in case it it became known that Pam would exit in a car crash (which I'm sure it was in the UK). Viewers could watch the scene, think this was the "crash" that newspapers had hyperbolically exaggerated and be lulled into a false sense of security. Because nobody has two car accidents in one day. Do they?

I still have clear memories of watching Pam's accident when it first aired, almost exactly three years on from watching the Dallas cliffhanger that had made a fan out of me. I watched it in my grandparents' bedroom while most of the family was watching something else downstairs. Sports probably. Even by this point, I was one of the few who still cared. However, I do remember outrageous cliffhangers coming up in conversation at school a couple of years later, with comments about the ridiculousness of the car instantly exploding like an oil refinery. Children can be so cruel. And so insightful.

Sid's accident was Knots's first go at a big end-of-season cliffhanger. It strikes the best of both worlds, coming out of a season-long storyline about a stolen car parts ring, but with all roads - including some meddling from JR during a visit or two that year - leading to a memorably exciting final scene. The production values of the episode have a whiff of the Seventies to them, the brakeless car car screeching along the coast road feels as though it's lifted from an older police series or something. It feels endearingly earnest and square jawed. I've never been a fan of the sudden "Oh my God" freeze frame, and feel Knots would have done it in a more cinematic, less Dallas-esque way a year or two later. But it's early doors for the Eighties prime time cliffhanger, with the Who Shot JR? phenomenon of the previous year the model for how to do it. I'm really impressed at how far this episode goes to create a sense that things have changed forever. When the cul-de-sac is protected by armed guards, with the Fairgates practically under house arrest with curtains drawn in the daytime, one really feels that there's no coming back and things have changed forever. It's often forgotten in the mix, but there's also the terrific pre-cliffhanger cliffhanger of Abby receiving the tape from her husband telling her he's taken the children and listing the reasons why she's a terrible mother. Of all the cliffhangers Abby would end up in the centre of, this could well be the most devastating for her because it's an assassination not just of her character, but of those aspects which are her virtues or saving graces. It drives her literally to her knees, howling on the floor with the kind of anguish that shocks not just because of its rawness but also because it's such an atypical response for Abby. Once again, one wonders where the character can go from here. After just two seasons it's a possibility that all avenues with these characters have been explored and exhausted. The characters themselves even comment about the extremities of their current predicaments which seem so far removed from the homely simplicity of middle class suburbia.

The Dallas episode feels more definitively like the end of a chapter. Since it's clear that Pam is very dead(!), if one comes back back to the next season, it's out of a morbid curiosity to see how Dallas works without the character who introduced us to this world and around whom so much of its original storytelling was centred. With the nature of his freeze-frame, it seems far more feasible that Sid could survive. There are no guarantees and the cliffhanger concept is still new, but certainly by the time I first watched this episode in the mid-Nineties, familiar with the cliffhanger concept, it would have been easy to believe we could tune in next time, feel a combination of relief and anti-climax at his dramatic, nick of time escape from the car. Except I already knew otherwise.

It's ironic that both ended up going the unexpected route with the resolutions to these cliffhangers. And both were tragic in very different ways.

Knots Landing - Season Two

Match 2

The post-cliffhanger pickup of the Southfork fire was the first episode I watched in a repeat daytime screening of Season Six in the summer following Bobby's shooting (the episode that made a Dallas fan out of me). I had no idea what was going on, and I must confess that I didn't particularly care. Primary school me just wanted to look for clues regarding Bobby's shooting and was very frustrated to find precious few (I had very little idea of the structure of series in general and, less generally, the seasonal structure of prime time US soap). I'm not sure when I first watched the cliffhanger itself, but it would have been a repeat screening - probably on UK Gold circa 1993. Even then, it didn't make a huge impression on me. I suppose we got off on the wrong foot and so it didn't feel significant for me. I think it was on DVD that I first appreciated the storytelling. This is one of Dallas's more artful cliffhangers because of the way it can be traced back to earlier in the season. The fire is the result of a chain reaction of events in a number of different threads weaved through the season - independently and with different levels of connectivity depending on the point reached in the story. On that level it's impressive.

In terms of pipe-laying for its cliffhanger, Knots is even more impressive. Season Six was one of Knots's longest and I can't think of another example of a storyline taking such a tortuous path to tell what could be loosely called one story. Val had given birth to the twins some six-and-a-half months earlier in viewer time, which might have been a lifetime for all the events that had taken place. Even in that space of time, within the same season, Valene alone had gone from giving birth to grieving to pushing her friends and family away to disappearing from California to Tennessee to an ongoing soap-within-a-soap that followed her entire dissociative personality disorder, right down to walking up the aisle with a new fiance. This was followed by entering therapy and trying to come to terms with her babies' deaths while her friends took the opposite path and went from powerless acceptance to a truth-seeking quest to uncover a black market baby ring. On paper it's all so outrageous, but it's written, played and produced with such truth it never feels anything but truthful.

In the UK, we were four years behind but in a fortunate twist of synchronicity, for most of Season Six we were were exactly four years behind, week-by-week. I watched Val give birth in November 1988, so references to the November birthdates all fitted. And she arrived at the Fishers' home on 24th May 1989: pretty much four years to the day America tuned in to watch that same episode. Brits also had the agonising luxury of a proper hiatus between seasons, and this is the clearest example to me of why it's important to watch TV series' in the way they're intended to be shown. Without those five solid months of the scene resonating and its full, haunting impact taking hold I may have viewed this episode very differently (last week's Season Nine cliffhanger is an example of a cliffhanger not having enough time to resonate with British viewers).

The Long And Winding Road delivers the most effective emotional cliffhanger, because it's driven by character. Every one of the people around the Fishers' home has serious investment in this - all for very different reasons - and we fully understand what each of them is feeling. I dare say my teenage hormones helped. This came along at a time in my life when I was particularly impressionable. But even so, this still stands. In the entire World Cup, I'm fairly sure this is the only example of the hairs on my arms standing to attention just from looking at @Angela Channing's recap.

I realise this is about the moment itself rather than the journey to it but it's important to acknowledge that good storytelling can really affect the way a cliffhanger is viewed. This one can has a far more significant impact when the storytelling makes the viewer feel as subjectively about what happens onscreen as the characters do. It's no exaggeration to say that I've never felt more invested in any prime time soap cliffhanger. Not before, and not since. And I haven't even mentioned that the final scene is accompanied by one of the most beautiful pieces of underscore in TV history.

Dallas ends with an image of its key piece of iconography symbolically burning. Knots ends with a woman in a crop top and cutoffs standing on a lawn outside a house turning to watch a man she's never met return from his trip to the pharmacy. It's no contest.

Knots Landing - Season Six

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Viewers could watch the scene, think this was the "crash" that newspapers had hyperbolically exaggerated and be lulled into a false sense of security.
It seems the innocent days weren't that spoiler-free after all. We didn't get much of it and I really did my best to keep informed, spoilers or not. The only one I remember is a Dynasty cliffhanger that didn't even happen.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The winners going through to round 3 are Falcon Crest Season 9 (Following Richard’s wedding Angela shares her thoughts about the people and the land of the Tuscany Valley ending with her toast to Falcon Crest) and Colbys Season 2 (A UFO descends from the sky and takes Fallon away).
Well, that was a surprise!
2 car accidents ... which one was the more spectacular? Both main characters left/died after this ... did we expect this?
Match 1: It's hard to ignore the aftermath of these two crashes and just concentrate on the cliffhangers themselves so I'll just go with instinct and vote Knots Landing season 2.
Match 2: This one is much easier: A fire seems rather ordinary compared with Val's dilemma in Knots Landing season 6.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It seems the innocent days weren't that spoiler-free after all. We didn't get much of it

Yes. I can remember pretty much every big Dallas cliffhanger being telegraphed by red top newspapers in the UK ahead of times.

I feel quite lucky that Knots was the series I felt most precious about when it came to spoilers. Nobody seemed to care enough to spoil it.

I really did my best to keep informed, spoilers or not. The only one I remember is a Dynasty cliffhanger that didn't even happen.

Ha ha. And was it better than what we actually got?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The production values of the episode have a whiff of the Seventies to them, the brakeless car car screeching along the coast road feels as though it's lifted from an older police series or something. It feels endearingly earnest and square jawed.
I toyed with the idea that the jogging couple that almost got run over are the future versions of Karen and Mack, a diabolical time warp created by the Empire Valley.
1658534181398.png

And now I can't un-think it anymore.

And was it better than what we actually got?
"Krystle trapped in epic snow storm" would have topped any of them, if only for the snow itself.

Last edited:

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Match 1 - Knots Landing season 2: I have a certain knowledge of the ins and outs of Dallas but wouldn’t be able to tell you what happened season by season in the same way as I would with the other soaps. So I might not be best placed to make this judgement but I think a long running character like Pam deserved a better exit than being driven into the side of a truck. Yes, there’s shock value there and yes, there was some great pyrotechnics in the scene but I think she deserved a better written exit. Of course, I’m sure the issue was that it was difficult to write her out considering her relationship with Bobby was strong but there must have been a more interesting way than this? Kidnap? Mysterious disappearance following a bout of amnesia? Anyway, back to the cliffhanger I’ve chosen. Sid’s peril is more suspenseful than Pam’s in my opinion, because the freeze frame stops at just the right point. There’s a sense of panic in his scene whereas Pam’s doesn’t leave a lot to the imagination.

Match 2 - Knots Landing season 6: in my opinion, this season of Knots is probably the best season of primetime soap ever written. And this final scene is the perfect way of capping it off. The three separate parties driving to the Fisher’s house. The tension between presumed father Ben and actual father Gary. Karen and Mack nervously go to resolve the fruits of their lengthy detective work at the Fisher’s door. And Abby dropping off Val after revealing the babies are alive, the look on her face showing she’s relieved to be absolved of some of her guilt for the mess she inadvertently caused, while knowing she’d still have a lot of explaining to do. And then Val’s stunned elation, almost floating across the scene as she realises what’s unfolding. All in all, this is a soap masterclass.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
A reminder, the vote for this week's matches ends at midday tomorrow.

You are voting for your winner between:

Match 1
Knots Landing Season 2 (Sid’s brakes have been tampered with and he drives his car off a cliff) vs Dallas Season 10 (JR is forced to sell Ewing Oil and it’s bought by WestStar and Pam drives into an oil tanker).

Match 2
Dallas Season 6 (JR and Ray fight over Mickey's accident and they cause a fire to start at Southfork.) vs Knots Landing Season 6 (Karen and Mack find Val’s babies and Val sees one of them driven away by Harry Fisher).

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The poll has now closed and the results of some close voting are as follows:

Match 1
Knots Landing Season 2 - 4 votes
Dallas Season 10 - 9 votes

Match 2
Dallas Season 6 - 6 votes
Knots Landing Season 6 - 7 votes

The winners going through to round 2 are Dallas Season 10 (JR is forced to sell Ewing Oil and it’s bought by WestStar and Pam drives into an oil tanker) and Knots Landing Season 6 (Karen and Mack find Val’s babies and Val sees one of them driven away by Harry Fisher).

Details of the next 2 matches will be posted on this thread tomorrow.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards

The poll is now open for you to choose which cliffhangers you would like to win each of the next 2 matches to go through to round 3.

You may vote for a winner of either match or for both matches but remember you are voting for your favourite cliffhanger, not your favourite episode or favourite soap opera.

Stating the reasons for your choices is encouraged as this makes the contest more interesting and may help others in making their decisions. However, this is entirely optional and you can just state your chosen winner of each match if you prefer.

Match 1
Dynasty Season 3
(Krystle and Alexis are trapped in a log cabin and a mystery figure sets it alight) vs Knots Landing Season 4 (Diana has run off with Chip and Gary is in jail over Ciji’s murder).

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Match 2
Falcon Crest Season 3
(Chase flies the Giobertis and Channings to Italy to scatter Julia’s ashes but he loses control and the plane is about to crash) vs Dallas Season 8 (Bobby dies after being run over by Katherine).

The vote will end at midday on Wednesday 3rd August 2022.

Last edited: