364k viewers

ChrisSumner

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The "deal" that Makitalo referenced in her tweet is the contract that exists between Netflix and The CW, which was first signed back in 2011 before being renewed in 2016.

That agreement allows big CW titles such as Riverdale, Dynasty, Arrow and The Flash to stream on Netflix, which is great for those of us who don't live in the US and can't access The CW.

But it expired earlier this year after a decision was made not to renew it – the likes of CBS and Warner Bros, which distribute a number of the broadcaster's most popular shows, are reevaluating their relationship with Netflix as they invest in their own streaming platforms.

source : https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a29484342/dynasty-season-3-netflix-delay-riverdale/

I know what the deal is, but when the show airs internationally has no basis on the CW ratings. That's another source of revenue for the parent company which are two different things. In the US the seasons are added complete once the season finishes airing so it can be binged. In the end what funds the show are the streaming deals so I'm sure something will be worked out. Either it'll go to Netflix once the season ends or it'll be moved to HBO Max like the other CW shows.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I know what the deal is, but when the show airs internationally has no basis on the CW ratings. That's another source of revenue for the parent company which are two different things. In the US the seasons are added complete once the season finishes airing so it can be binged. In the end what funds the show are the streaming deals so I'm sure something will be worked out. Either it'll go to Netflix once the season ends or it'll be moved to HBO Max like the other CW shows.

Lol, you have to be honest : it wasn't your original answer ("What Netflix does internationally has absolutely nothing to do with the CW lol".)

But you're right : cutting off Netflix's "airing the following day" internationally doesn't impact the US ratings.
At the time I posted my original comment, I wasn't sure if Netflix US aired the episodes the day following the CW airdate, like in europe. Hence my comment about the ratings. But I was wrong about it, as Netflix US never "aired" each episode the following day. Which I didn't know.

ChrisSumner

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Lol, you have to be honest : it wasn't your original answer ("What Netflix does internationally has absolutely nothing to do with the CW lol".)

But you're right : cutting off Netflix's "airing the following day" internationally doesn't impact the US ratings.
At the time I posted my original comment, I wasn't sure if Netflix US aired the episodes the day following the CW airdate, like in europe. Hence my comment about the ratings. But I was wrong about it, as Netflix US never "aired" each episode the following day. Which I didn't know.

My original answer was correct. You stated the international Netflix deal is a reason the ratings are low in the US and I said they had nothing to do with each other which is true.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My original answer was correct. You stated the international Netflix deal is a reason the ratings are low in the US and I said they had nothing to do with each other which is true.

I never stated that the ratings were low because the Netflix deal was off.
I was asking if the CW thought that cutting off the Netflix deal would help the ratings.

My original quote :
If the CW thought that cutting off the Netflix "airing the following day" would help Dynasty's ratings, they got it very wrong.
What do the CW do right anyway?

I never said the "Netflix deal off" was a reason why the ratings were low. I was asking if the CW thought that cutting off the deal would help the ratings, and if so, they were wrong. That's quite a nuance. My comment was more about to understand why the CW did cut off the Netflix deal (and my theory, even if it was a wrong theory, was about helping the ratings)

You answer was :
- What Netflix does internationally has absolutely nothing to do with the CW

It could be read as it was not The CW that decided what Netflix could or could not do internationally, that it wasn't The CW that decided to cut off the deal.

Your answer was not :
- What Netflix does internationally has absolutely nothing to do with the CW's rating
- What Netflix does internationally has absolutely nothing to do with the CW's decision

Last edited:

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sometimes, life is quite unfair. We had the best episode of Dynasty in ages, and it ended at 0.37 in the ratings.

Well, the episode was great anyway. It would be interesting to see there is a jump or a new low when episode 9 will be aired in january 17h.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sometimes, life is quite unfair. We had the best episode of Dynasty in ages, and it ended at 0.37 in the ratings.

I haven't seen it yet (it is still on Tivo) but Dynasty's 9th season was the worst ratings-wise than the previous ones, even though it was certainly better than many of them. So yeah, that happens.
But CW decided early on they did not care for ratings. And those who live by Netflix...

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I haven't seen it yet (it is still on Tivo) but Dynasty's 9th season was the worst ratings-wise than the previous ones, even though it was certainly better than many of them. So yeah, that happens.
But CW decided early on they did not care for ratings. And those who live by Netflix...

You're right. Dynasty season 9 was very, very good imo. But it was too late to save it from a rating standpoint. Season 9 was paying the price of bad reception, bad plots, bad feedback from previous seasons I guess.

Like CW Dynasty season 3 is paying the price of that mediocre season 2, and the loss of a certain credibility (not that they had much) with the Fallexis mess and the never ending recasts.

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Netflix issue is probably connected to the fact several content providers are pulling their content from Netflix as they prepare for their own streaming service.

This isnt good for Dynasty as it would suggest it could be a casualty of new streaming deals where its global populatity doesnt play a factor in its renewel.

The current state of play means we wont get to see it until nearly a year after we saw the last episode.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Netflix issue is probably connected to the fact several content providers are pulling their content from Netflix as they prepare for their own streaming service.

This isnt good for Dynasty as it would suggest it could be a casualty of new streaming deals where its global populatity doesnt play a factor in its renewel.

The current state of play means we wont get to see it until nearly a year after we saw the last episode.

I think the reason Netflix paid (i guess) good money to buy CW Dynasty, is because of the name, the legacy of the original. Dynasty is well known in so many countries. So even if it's not a huge success on Netflix, I guess it grabbed enough people worldwide to watch it. I mean, enough to make it legit for Netflix (meaning that enough subscribers worldwide are watching it)

Removing Dynasty from Netflix, as an exclusive for a CW (or CW related) platform would be kind of suicidal for the show. Because I don't think there are enough people in US willing to join their platform for Dynasty. By the way, is the CW has a streaming platform for Dynasty right now? Is it available outside USA?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When speaking of the ratings, the editors over at TVLine were quick to point out that all the network offerings (CBS, NBC, etc.) were down because there were several pivotal college football games being played and aired on ABC or in syndication nationwide. The funny part is that I cannot picture the Dynasty fans being big football watchers.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When speaking of the ratings, the editors over at TVLine were quick to point out that all the network offerings (CBS, NBC, etc.) were down because there were several pivotal college football games being played and aired on ABC or in syndication nationwide. The funny part is that I cannot picture the Dynasty fans being big football watchers.

Why not? Locker rooms are great :p

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, the episode was great anyway. It would be interesting to see there is a jump or a new low when episode 9 will be aired in january 17h.

Winter does usually boost viewing levels over all so hopefully it should also act like a boost towards Dynasty. I'm not sure it matters much though - Fridays at 9PM is pretty much their worst time slot.

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think the reason Netflix paid (i guess) good money to buy CW Dynasty, is because of the name, the legacy of the original. Dynasty is well known in so many countries. So even if it's not a huge success on Netflix, I guess it grabbed enough people worldwide to watch it. I mean, enough to make it legit for Netflix (meaning that enough subscribers worldwide are watching it)

Removing Dynasty from Netflix, as an exclusive for a CW (or CW related) platform would be kind of suicidal for the show. Because I don't think there are enough people in US willing to join their platform for Dynasty. By the way, is the CW has a streaming platform for Dynasty right now? Is it available outside USA?

It's rather unfortunate but reading more into it looks like Netflix no longer want to be locked into deals where they have to take a whole slate of shows, instead they want to do it on a show by show basis.

It's a shame as I really like watching with everyone else, so we can all discuss it. That is the magic of Netflix. Its global.

I dont expect Dynasty to see a season 4 unless it does well on Netflix and they aquire it but I dont see that happening.

Edie70

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I dont expect Dynasty to see a season 4 unless it does well on Netflix and they aquire it but I dont see that happening.
My thoughts exactly. Season 4 seems highly unlikely at the moment and given the new circumstances. They could just end it with a shorter season consisting of 13 episodes (aired October through December) like they did with a few other shows in recent years.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards

With how The CW functions I think it'll get a season 4, if only to tie things up and set up for a package they can sell over time. Season 5 and beyond will depend on how much profit they are making on it overall at that point.

With that said, my understanding of their Netflix deal is that all shows before the 2019-20 season still fall under the old Netflix deal. All that premiere after and beyond don't. Hence why they haven't pulled their DC Shows and put them in the DC Universe, despite it being obvious that they want to (they're even premiering Star Girl on The CW later this season).

Last edited:

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Season 4 seems highly unlikely at the moment and given the new circumstances. They could just end it with a shorter season consisting of 13 episodes (aired October through December) like they did with a few other shows in recent years.

Though i'm not THAT huge of a fan of NuDynasty, i'll be very sad when it ends nevertheless... for me it's the last "proper" soap opera on TV and i'll miss it, when it's gone. If only because of the great threads and ongoing discussions regarding new episodes here. And let's be honest - there's not another 80s soaps reboot to happen at the horizon.. this is the last of it's kind. :(

Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's a shame as I really like watching with everyone else, so we can all discuss it. That is the magic of Netflix. Its global.
An excellent point Pamela. Because of the previous arrangement between The CW and Netflix regarding Dynasty it created chatter on social media platforms like soapchat, twitter, instagram and facebook. Because of this chatter globally I would have thought it drew more eyeballs to Dynasty; and isn't this the end game?

Under the current arrangement only American fans have access to the new season. International die-hard fans of course will be finding other means which in the end hurts Netflix. While I can access Dynasty if i was so desperate I don't. I have far more important things on my agenda. This of course leaves me out of the conversation on his platform.

In the old days shows like Dallas and Dynasty were such mega hits we had newspapers, magazines and talk shows fighting to have a piece of the action; it fed the monster that had become the super soaps. Media today have little interest in the Dynasty reboot so those behind the scenes should be exploiting social media to drive that interest. They should also have fought hard to keep the status quo with the arrangement with Netflix. The saying cut off one's nose to spite one's face springs to mind.

In the end whether it was the fault of The CW or Netflix regarding the latest arrangement it can only hurt Dynasty's chances of securing a season 4 or beyond.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In years past, the CW announced the renewal of the series in mid-January. I know they could in theory put it off longer, but waiting for feedback from the airing of the third season on Netflix (in May/June) seems kind of a stretch (and kind of inconvenient). It would only give them roughly a month to pull together the cast and crew, write and resume filming if they get renewed. And of course they would leave the air without a proper closure if it gets cancelled after the third season wrapped.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In years past, the CW announced the renewal of the series in mid-January. I know they could in theory put it off longer, but waiting for feedback from the airing of the third season on Netflix (in May/June) seems kind of a stretch (and kind of inconvenient). It would only give them roughly a month to pull together the cast and crew, write and resume filming if they get renewed. And of course they would leave the air without a proper closure if it gets cancelled after the third season wrapped.

It was renewed in April 2nd for season 2, January 31st for season 3.

With that said, normally The CW does do bulk-renewals for their older shows during the TCAs in January. Normally it's only their new shows they wait until the spring to announce the fates of. If they do another bulk renewal and Dynasty isn't included I guess we could go "oh-uh...".

Last edited: