• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

"Beat me on the bottom with a Woman's Weekly": All things Victoria Wood

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Speaking of Vic on the radio, I've just been listening to her first JAM appearance. She did really well, especially considering she was up against three seasoned regulars - Kenneth Williams; Derek Nimmo and Peter Jones:

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Getting to the final chapters now :(- In Oct 2012 she was diagnosed with a cyst which proved to be cancerous and she underwent radiotherapy

By 2013 she is back working and Morissey of The Smiths was a fan and she met him

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Getting to the final chapters now :(- In Oct 2012 she was diagnosed with a cyst which proved to be cancerous and she underwent radiotherapy

By 2013 she is back working and Morissey of The Smiths was a fan and she met him

These are great, BF. Thanks.

I'd read about the Morrissey connection after watching Talent because of the Fourteen Again connection. The two of them chatting about tea. Could it be any more British?!

I dont think I have ever seen Loving Miss Hatto - have you @Mel O'Drama

No. I hadn't even heard of it. I need to add it to my watchlist. ;)

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
I finished the book :(

sadly she was diagnosed with Oesophageal cancer in late 2015 and underwent treatment at Harley St clinics, chemo, 2 stents inserted, lost weight and came home to die in her own home in Highgate with caers and McMIllan. I get the feeling she didnt want to acccept that her life might be nearing an end and her former husband Geoff Durham was a great supprt to her and their children

She told very few people of her illness and I think I so admire her for that - Im never sure why people want to broadcast it form the rooftops and its sums up Victoria who off screen could be shy and awkward in company, so different from her onscreen persona

She died in April 2016 and her death along with Terry Wogans was the biggest shocker for me that year and how much i enjoyed them both and that they were a part of my growing up

RIP Miss Wood, thanks for the laughs and tears and thank goodness for DVD!

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
She told very few people of her illness and I think I so admire her for that -

Yes. I feel the same. I greatly admire celebrities who are protective of their families and manage to prevent their personal lives from becoming part of their brand.

RIP Miss Wood, thanks for the laughs and tears and thank goodness for DVD!

Amen to that, BF, and thanks for sharing some titbits from the book as you've read.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
And I have to say to you @Mel O'Drama thanks for great, insightful and thought provoking insights into her shows and for all the hours you have put in watching and writing it all up for the likes of me to enjoy.

Its been a pleasure and a joy!!

:ty: :bravo1::10:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
And I have to say to you @Mel O'Drama thanks for great, insightful and thought provoking insights into her shows and for all the hours you have put in watching and writing it all up for the likes of me to enjoy.

Thanks BF. That's really kind and it's been my pleasure.

I've really enjoyed watching lots of Vic's work in order and seeing how the pieces all fit together. It's given me a lot of laughter therapy in the last six weeks, and we all need a bit of that sometimes.

Alexis Colby Carrington

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards

:ty: :bravo1::10:
Yes thank you Mel. You’ve made me remember so many classic moments.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Don't know if such a thing even exists after your exhaustive Woodathon, @Mel O'Drama but this promises "never-heard-before material" at 6.30 this evening:

It was a really fun listen and there were a few things I hadn't heard before (the tour guide was great). I really liked the tone of the show, which didn't take itself too seriously. And best of all, they got stuck into the semantics and rhythms. It certainly made the ironing feel less chore-ish, and I'm looking forward to part two next week.

I've just caught up with the second part on BBC Sounds. It's been just fascinating to hear Vic's recordings of running through her show or her audio diaries and reinforces the work that's gone into making every tiny moment absolute perfection.

There seems to be real interest in Vic and her work at the moment. I really hope some more hidden treasures will come from it.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Just thought @Mel O'Drama you would want to know that tomorrow night is Victoria Wood night on BBC2

I wish they would repeat Eric and Ernie !!

:bravo1:

Victoria Wood: A Bafta Tribute​

BBC Two England​

Julie Walters, Lenny Henry, Richard E Grant and Jim Broadbent gather for a gala honouring the much-loved entertainer, with contributions from Peter Kay and French and Saunders. The celebration offers an opportunity to look back over her career with a combination of celebrity tributes and clips of her work, culminating with the presentation of the Bafta award

Victoria Wood: At It Again​

BBC Two England | Film​

The much-loved comedian performs her award-winning stand-up show in front of an audience at London's Royal Albert Hall. Recorded during her At It Again tour in 2001, the gig features Victoria's ruminations on everything from Disneyland visitors to her hysterectomy

dinnerladies​

BBC Two England | Film​

Bren's mother wreaks havoc in the factory and incurs Stan's wrath by pursuing an ill-considered romance, while Anita organises a heated debate on the workers' current situation. Comedy, with Victoria Wood and Julie Walters

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Just thought @Mel O'Drama you would want to know that tomorrow night is Victoria Wood night on BBC2

Oh, brilliant!! If only every Saturday night was Victoria Wood Night.

While I've watched At It Again and dinnerladies again in the last couple of weeks, I didn't watch the BAFTA Tribute in full, so I'll definitely catch up with that one on iPlayer in the coming days.

And @Mel O'Drama

I forgot to post this little gem re Crossroads

Oh wonderful. Victoria's delight at Noele Gordon breaking the fourth wall conjures up such a nice image.

That scene always reminds me of you and @Angela Channing. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without it round these parts.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
I watched the Bafta Tribute tonight

Ted Robbins was funny and Peter Kay - wish we got to see a few more clips and a bit less chat from some of the guests on stage

The Acorn antiques tap dance / musical at the end didnt do it for me!

RIP Miss Wood

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I watched the Bafta Tribute tonight

I did the same and thought it was lovely. It was a nice surprise that it ran for over an hour as I'd convinced myself it was half an hour.

Great to see Jim Broadbent, Lenny Henry and plenty of other friends she'd known for decades hosting it. The Continuity Announcer's introduction was terrific as well.

I enjoyed the chat from the stage, and am glad of that rather than more clips. After The Secret List, Victoria Wood In Her Own Words and From Soup To Nuts I've seen and heard oodles of clips, so I liked this approach for a change. It was interesting to hear how she'd inspired others and to get their perspective.

Vic looked overwhelmed by it all, which isn't surprising considering all those incredible people coming together to admire her talent.

Tip Tap Top was in my head for days after watching Acorn Antiques: The Musical and now it's back in there again. Such an earworm. Vic knows how to write them. I thought it interesting that Joan Armatrading and other musicians spoke of Vic's talent at writing songs.