Did one of Dynasty's wittiest lines come from...

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
...Jeff.
Fallon comes home in the wee hours of the morning after a tryst with Nick Toscanni. Jeff informs her that Krystle lost her baby that night. Fallon responds with callous insouciance.
Jeff: "What did you lose last night, Fallon? Your amateur standing?"
Fallon is left speechless.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I take umbrage. Jeff's best line was when Fallon told him the spaceship had a smell of cinnamon (in early season 8). He feigned innocence and asked: "oh, were they baking?"

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I have to admit I've never quite understood it.
I never quite did either. I assume it's meant to mean that she's now a professional whore after moving up the ranks of whoredom. But it's a bit too much and not really the kind of thing a person would actually say in an argument. You'd just say they were a whore, though I don't know if people in soap operas are allowed to be called that. Or maybe they have an allowance of whore's, bastards, and other such words and can only say them in certain context or a certain amount of times a season.

Last edited:

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I always thought he mean
T she's getting paid to be a "slut," no longer always giving it away for free.

Oh yes, that makes sense. For some reason, I thought it might be an American sporting reference!

Zara

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I never quite did either. I assume it's meant to mean that she's now a professional whore after moving up the ranks of whoredom. But it's a bit too much and not really the kind of thing a person would actually say in an argument. You'd just saw they were a whore, though I don't know if people in soap operas are allowed to be called that. Or maybe they have an allowance of whore's, bastards, and other such words and can only say them in certain context or a certain amount of times a season.

I think you're right.

It was the same with "fa**ot", it was used with utter seriousness in Dynasty two-three times.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh yes, that makes sense. For some reason, I thought it might be an American sporting reference!

I guess in a way it is, when we usually apply it to athletes as in "pro" and "amateur."
Season 2 had a lot of witty little lines, mostly from Alexis. I saw an interview in which Joan Collins credited herself for that, saying she wanted to bring a little humor into Dynasty. (Quite a difference from Lucille Ball, who whenever praised for "I Love Lucy," never failed to pay tribute to the writers.)

Last edited:

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think you're right.

It was the same with "fa**ot", it was used with utter seriousness in Dynasty two-three times.

Dynasty was the first show in which I heard the word "bitch" I think the show's success opened the floodgates for such words.
"All in the Family" received a bit of backlash for the use of "g**amn," as well as the "n" word. "The Jeffersons" and "Sanford and Son" also used that racial slur, which is often censored in reruns. Those were Norman Lear shows, and he really pushed envelope.
However, Dynasty will always be the pioneer when it comes to "bitch," bless its tawdry heart.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dynasty was the first show in which I heard the word "bitch" I think the show's success opened the floodgates for such words.

I think JR called Kristin a bitch when she visited him in hospital after he'd been shot, which was just a couple of months before Dynasty started.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"All in the Family" received a bit of backlash for the use of "g**amn," as well as the "n" word. "The Jeffersons" and "Sanford and Son" also used that racial slur, which is often censored in reruns. Those were Norman Lear shows, and he really pushed envelope.
However, Dynasty will always be the pioneer when it comes to "bitch," bless its tawdry heart.
Maude called Walter a "son of a bitch" in 1974.

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
M.A.S.H. also used the word once I think. But it seems that it's after Dynasty used it that it became a popular insult on TV.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think JR called Kristin a bitch when she visited him in hospital after he'd been shot, which was just a couple of months before Dynasty started.

You're right. I forgot about one of my favorite femme fatale scenes!

I could be wrong, but it seemed after Dynasty and Alexis, "bitch" in particular entered the media vernacular. Press releases, advertising and reviews started using that word more.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Heath called himself a "bastard" on BIG VALLEY in 1965, still bleeped in some markets even today.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
You're right. I forgot about one of my favorite femme fatale scenes!

I could be wrong, but it seemed after Dynasty and Alexis, "bitch" in particular entered the media vernacular. Press releases, advertising and reviews started using that word more.
I think it was more to do with the press and media cashing in on Joan's The Bitch movie too. It was clever to call her a bitch because she was The Bitch before she was Dynasty's bitch.