Peter Bowles has died

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
At age 85.


He seemed to be an omnipresent part of my sitcom viewing as a child - and my rewatches as an adult (his name and face crop up again and again in the British Sitcom thread).

He was the best at the slick, smooth moustachioed upper middle class cad and I always enjoyed his persona in series from To The Manor Born to Only When I Laugh to The Bounder to Executive Stress. I also fondly remember his drama Lytton's Diary, where he was still very recognisably Peter Bowles.

He's certainly left an unforgettable mark on classic British TV, and I know @Daniel Avery will agree.
 

Angela Channing

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
52
He starred in a great little series in the 1980s called The Irish R.M. which was screen on Channel 4 not long after it started broadcasting. The audience for the channel was very low at the time so the series never got the recognition it deserved.

I always remember watching him in To The Manor Born immediately before Dallas was on but I think my favourite series of his was The Bounder.

He was a wonderfully talented actor.
 
Last edited:

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
8
Watched him in Lytton’s Diary, The Persuaders!, Only When I Laugh, Survivors, Dial 999, Danger Man, The Irish RM, The Bounder, Space:1999, Department S, The Sarah Jane Adventures, Holby City, Thriller, To The Manor Born, The Prisoner, four episodes of The Avengers, Pennies from Heaven, Executive Stress, Vice Versa, two episodes of The Saint, The Protectors (1960s), The Protectors (Gerry Anderson’s 1970s), Rumpole of the Bailey, Perfect Scoundrels, The Gold Robbers, two episodes of The Baron and I,Claudius. And the Randall and Hopkirk Deceased updated version. And he narrated the documentary on Network’s Department S and Jason King releases. Enjoyed his interview for The Morning After, plus his commentary for the Umbrella/Madman release of Danger Man.
 
Last edited:

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
8
At age 85.


He seemed to be an omnipresent part of my sitcom viewing as a child - and my rewatches as an adult (his name and face crop up again and again in the British Sitcom thread).

He was the best at the slick, smooth moustachioed upper middle class cad and I always enjoyed his persona in series from To The Manor Born to Only When I Laugh to The Bounder to Executive Stress. I also fondly remember his drama Lytton's Diary, where he was still very recognisably Peter Bowles.

He's certainly left an unforgettable mark on classic British TV, and I know @Daniel Avery will agree.
I enjoy him as different sorts of people too in stuff like Dial 999, where he is absolutely nothing like your description. He has a prominent role in the first episode of Terry Nation’s Survivors, as the husband of the lead, Abby Grant (Carolyn Seymour). And he gets a good shock death in that.
 

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
i saw he died but honestly could not remember anything i've seen him in to be honest i haven't looked it up yet either
 

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
8
i saw he died but honestly could not remember anything i've seen him in to be honest i haven't looked it up yet either
Oh, he is all over the place in things I’ve seen from the 1950s to the end of the 2010s. He was a lead in a whole bunch of tv series. And he was the original Toby Meres in Callan.

In adverts.

He was in what turned out to be the final episodes filmed for The Sarah Jane Adventures. He played four memorable villains in The Avengers.

And was in two episodes of The Saint (one of which was remade as an episode of The Baron, with Mark Burns having the same dialogue almost word for word in the remake).
 
Last edited:

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
8
i'm not from the UK sadly but the states so those shows i have not seen
Oh, he was in The Prisoner, Danger Man, Space:1999, The Avengers, The Baron, The Protectors, The Persuaders!, The Saint and Thriller. All of which were sold to the USA. Some of which performed very well. Even if Danger Man was retitled as Secret Agent.
 

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV
4
 
Awards
6
A wonderful actor and a real gentleman too. I was a huge fan of To The Manor Born and still regularly re-watch it.

I met him a number of times when he'd pass by the Stage Door at Her Majesty's and he always said hello, how are you, without fail.

A very sad loss indeed.
 
Top