- Awards
- 44
At age 85.
www.theguardian.com
He seemed to be an omnipresent part of my sitcom viewing as a child - and my rewatches as an adult (his name and face crop up again and again in the British Sitcom thread).
He was the best at the slick, smooth moustachioed upper middle class cad and I always enjoyed his persona in series from To The Manor Born to Only When I Laugh to The Bounder to Executive Stress. I also fondly remember his drama Lytton's Diary, where he was still very recognisably Peter Bowles.
He's certainly left an unforgettable mark on classic British TV, and I know @Daniel Avery will agree.
Peter Bowles, star of TV sitcom To the Manor Born, dies aged 85
Actor best known for playing Richard DeVere in BBC series from 1979 to 1981 remembered as ‘a true gentleman’
He seemed to be an omnipresent part of my sitcom viewing as a child - and my rewatches as an adult (his name and face crop up again and again in the British Sitcom thread).
He was the best at the slick, smooth moustachioed upper middle class cad and I always enjoyed his persona in series from To The Manor Born to Only When I Laugh to The Bounder to Executive Stress. I also fondly remember his drama Lytton's Diary, where he was still very recognisably Peter Bowles.
He's certainly left an unforgettable mark on classic British TV, and I know @Daniel Avery will agree.
