LV

Reaction score
Awards

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I never heard the word "trope" before a couple of years ago, and I never heard "impacts" (in the plural) until a couple of years ago, either.

In the '90s, "copacetic" became a thing and then eventually went away.

I think I hated it.

Don't we have a thread about words we don't like? If so, I couldn't find it.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I never heard the word "trope" before a couple of years ago
Me neither. But you know, I‘ve totally forgotten what it means and I’m too lazy to look it up right now.

I never heard "impacts" (in the plural) until a couple of years ago, either.
Interesting, cause I don’t think I’ve ever used it in the plural that I can recall.

In the '90s, "copacetic" became a thing and then eventually went away.

I think I hated it.
I never liked the whole “copacetic” craze myself. I don’t know, for starters it sounded like the name of a cough medicine. And secondly I just found it a little too long to be trendy.

Don't we have a thread about words we don't like? If so, I couldn't find it.
I thought we did, unless I’m thinking of something else? I seem to recall one about our favorite words but I’m not sure if we have one for the words we don’t like.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Social media allows certain words to become trendy. I see the annoying use of the term "iconic" all over social media, but no one uses it in regular conversation....nor do they use it correctly.
"Oh, that scrambled egg dish was iconic."
"Your eye makeup is so iconic."
"I watched her being iconic for ten minutes."
They use it as a synonym for "exceptionally good", but iconic means "worthy of worship or religious admiration". I guess it is representational of how everything is exaggerated on social media conversations and interactions. The eggs weren't just cooked well--they're worthy of sainthood.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And "fun" as an adjective. We used to say things were fun (a noun). Something more fun was "a lot of fun." Now it's "very fun" which just sounds wrong.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Those pointless little video boxes that pop up in the lower-right corner when you log onto websites, especially news-related pages. They're intentionally difficult to cancel/close because they typically play ads, as if there were not already ads at the top of the site, down each side, and inserted into the text of every story already. I don't want to watch a video of the story I'm trying to read. TVLine.com and daytimeconfidential.com are the worst current offenders, at least of the sites I visit.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Those pointless little video boxes that pop up in the lower-right corner when you log onto websites, especially news-related pages. They're intentionally difficult to cancel/close because they typically play ads, as if there were not already ads at the top of the site, down each side, and inserted into the text of every story already. I don't want to watch a video of the story I'm trying to read. TVLine.com and daytimeconfidential.com are the worst current offenders, at least of the sites I visit.
Indeed, visiting a website used to so simple. Now there's cookies to deal with, videos to close, possibly a 'sign up to our newsletter' box to close. Sometimes by the time I've done all that I resent them so much for making me work that hard I can't be bothered to read the article anymore.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Well...

Having a reasonably intelligent conversation with several people and someone...

Focuses on the least important point
Blatantly adds falsehoods
Brings up a totally unrelated point/topic
Cracks a silly joke

Did I just somehow describe some threads on this site... LOL!

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This obviously is referring to other sites and not this one. No angry letters please. If you must, address them to @Ome. :laughing:

I hate it when members of soap opera discussion sites don't understand the way soaps operate. They angrily demand to know all the answers to the current plotlines, or at least post a laundry list of questions that, as most viewers understand, are unrevealed facts of the story that will be revealed as the plot unfolds. Their tone is like an impatient four year-old who has zero attention span and thinks the whole story should be told to them in an hour's episode rather than watching it unfold over months or even a year. Soaps are a format where writers build suspense as they slowly unfold the facts of the storyline and (hopefully) come to a satisfying conclusion over time. It's not a freakin' TikTok video.

Laurie Marr

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Irrational peeves right now…..

Beginning sentences with “so….”
The fashion for stating that every crisis is “existential.’
The redundancy of using ‘lived’ before the now ubiquitous phrase ‘lived experience.’
Using the nonsensical form ‘should of’ rather than ‘should’ve’ as the contracted form of ‘should have.’
The idiocy of retailers still applying stickers to books that cannot be removed without pulping part of the cover.
Employers who still engage in the passive aggressive ruse of characterising holidays as a way to become ‘refreshed’ for work.

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Crap Windows randomly installs on my PC in an update with no option to uninstall. The so-called backup can only be used to save data on their cloud - but in case you need a backup 5 GB certainly isn't enough space. That isn't a backup, it's a scam!

Windows.jpg

Also: the fly I've just discovered in my living room and hunting for twenty minutes with a towel is a nuisance. I had no flies in my apartment during the summer but now in October? Die, fly, die!

Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Crap Windows randomly installs on my PC in an update with no option to uninstall.
Agreed. They've just recently introduced Copilot which has planted itself in my taskbar without an option of removing it. Several years ago a guy on the net created a free program named Decrapper. A wonderful tool to remove unwanted programs. I've been using Windows since '95 and generally I've never had an issue with the operating system but sometimes Microsoft kicks an own goal. Copilot of course is aligned with all this AI nonsense which the major companies are racing to be No.1.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In a similar vein, one of the updates on my laptop installed that lame-ass "Bing" button just below my "close" button in the upper-right. It sits there just waiting for me to accidentally hover over it, which causes its window to appear (no click--a hover is sufficient). It's like a landmine on my screen.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
that lame-ass "Bing" button just below my "close" button in the upper-right.
I just ignore Bing. I have Google as my search engine in the address bar and as my home page.
They've just recently introduced Copilot which has planted itself in my taskbar without an option of removing it.
My Windows 11 hasn't done that (yet).