Random things you hate

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
8
I always like to eat in peace myself, albeit that's not always possible.
I generally eat alone when I can. However, there are some people who I click with. Like some beloved first cousins once removed and first cousins twice removed. And Caron Gardner and Carol Cleveland (with or without her Pom-Poms). I like eating with all of them. One of my first cousins said to me recently that in all the decades they had known me, having stayed at my homes several times and been at weddings, christenings, funerals, hospital vigils and birthday parties together, they had never once seen me eat. I pointed out that I had sampled it's cake at one of it's uncles' funerals in 2013. I was told that it wasn't sure whether I had actually swallowed it. Of course, I used to stay at nearby hotels, having multiple breakfasts and not feeling hungry for the rest of the day.
 
Last edited:

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
People who just don't sense THE TONE. If you're busy, upset, preoccupied but they are harping on at you in their own little world 'oh look at my new tights, look at my new hair...' SENSE THE TONE.
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
It bugs the ever-lovin' $hit out of me when these people bring their DOGS into supermarkets.
I love walking up to people and their fur-balls and politely ask them to leave. They immediately take offense which I find adorable since their breaking health regulations. Sometimes I'll let them berate me in front of customers just so it gives my staff enough time to contact security. I remember one day this woman stood there and thought it was her place to tell me what for. The language coming out of her mouth would have made a sailor blush. All the time she wasn't aware this 6 foot 10 security bloke was standing behind her. When she finally got to the part when she said, "I'll do whatever the #$cking hell I like" that's when the security guy tapped her on the shoulder. The look on her face was priceless when she turned around. Let's just say her and her pooch were escorted to the center management office where the police were notified, followed by a health inspector. She ended up having to pay a huge fine and was also informed if she attempted to re-enter the shopping center she would be slapped with a trespass notice.

Another customer approached me after this event and asked how I could remain so calm. I said easy. While the silly old woman thought she had it over me what she didn't understand was what was about to happen to her. There is a great saying, "You reap what you sow."
 

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV
9
 
Awards
24
Oh, how I wish we had the law (more) on our side here. There are laws, of course--national laws as well as state-specific laws banning "non-service animals"--but unfortunately in Florida, the laws are not enforced equally. Governor Scott passed a law where the owner would have to pay a small fine and the business could ban them, but unless a cop is right there in the store there's not much the store can do because the store owners/managers are too afraid of 'creating a scene' or having some *&(@# write a nasty, one-sided letter that might get them demoted. A policeman or other law enforcement can be the bad guy, but the store owner don't have the backbone to stand up to these people.

I do know that the $hit hits the fan if that dog is in the store when a health inspector visits, though. Unlike the store owner, that inspector doesn't care about hurting anyone's feelings because...well, they're from the government and don't have to be nice or understanding. :) A grocery store in Tampa got shut down for 48 hours when such an event occurred, but I doubt the dog owner cared one bit...it's all about them, y'know.

Several years ago a woman was asked to leave a Publix supermarket in Florida because she brought a pet dog in with her--so she immediately sued Publix for causing her "emotional distress" (translation: embarrassing her in public) and WON a small settlement. From that point on, all Publix said they would do is ask "What service does your service animal perform?", not "Is this a service animal?" or (what I'd ask) "Don't you understand it's a health-code violation to bring your dog in here?" They totally caved and since Publix basically owns the grocery business in Florida, others follow their lead. When I shop and see some old lady trucking around her little poodle/shih-Tzu/rat-dog in the cart, I look at the dog as if he has three heads just to let granny know little Fifi ought to be home.
 

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
8
Taking down Christmas decorations early. Makes me proper mad when they're gone before Epiphany Eve (Jan 5th). I even forget to switch my emotions off, as I usually do. I once had neighbours who would put decorations up on December 1st and they would vanish after New Year's Day. Therefore, I despised them. But only starting after Christmas. Although my nearest neighbour eaves their light thing up until the end of January 6th. Which kind of makes thirteen days of Christmas but I don't mind that. Especially when Epiphany Octave and the Sunday after Epiphany can take it past the first third of January. Besides, I can't see the neighbours unless I leave my hunting lodge.

Anyone leaving decorations up until Candlemas Eve (1st February) gets extra points. I automatically like them.
 
Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV
9
 
Awards
24
It IS rather strange that stores are putting out their Christmas displays/merchandise earlier every year (like, July/August for some big-box retailers), and yet on December 26 it all disappears as if they want us to believe none of it ever happened. The remaining Christmas-oriented merchandise gets tossed in shopping carts and shoved into a corner with a "clearance" sign on it as if it suddenly has cooties. The decorations seemingly evaporate as quickly, despite most people leaving theirs up for another week or more. It seems "Christmas Creep" only heads forward on the calendar, not backward.

On the plus side, thank goodness the Christmas music doesn't stick around--I'm thoroughly sick of it by Dec. 26.
 

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
8
It IS rather strange that stores are putting out their Christmas displays/merchandise earlier every year (like, July/August for some big-box retailers), and yet on December 26 it all disappears as if they want us to believe none of it ever happened.
September in some of the stores near me. Christmas trees up from October and early November. In-store trees vanished after New Year's Day. With the news programme, someone this morning said they were back to normal after Christmas. My first thought was that it isn't after Christmas.
On the plus side, thank goodness the Christmas music doesn't stick around--I'm thoroughly sick of it by Dec. 26.

We had carol singers and brass bands inside our local supermarkets.
People who just don't sense THE TONE. If you're busy, upset, preoccupied but they are harping on at you in their own little world 'oh look at my new tights, look at my new hair...' SENSE THE TONE.
THE TONE is ever-present.
tabby-and-tony.jpg
 

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
What I hate is when it takes people forever to take down their Christmas decorations. In particular, wreaths. I understand that people are busy, but for some strange reason, the Christmas decoration that I see that seems to take the longest for anyone to take down is a flippin' wreath on their door! I don't know why it so much harder for a person to quickly snatch a wreath off their door than it is for them to take down things like lights or balloons that take a lot longer to take down! Just what is so hard about taking a wreath off your door!? I get sick when I still see Christmas wreaths hanging up in March, or even April! And my neighbors downstairs STILL have their stupid Halloween wreath up!! Are they just gonna leave it up year round!? This is probably a petty thing for me to complain about, but it happens every year and I hate it!
 

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Taking down Christmas decorations early. Makes me proper mad when they're gone before Epiphany Eve (Jan 5th). I even forget to switch my emotions off, as I usually do. I once had neighbours who would put decorations up on December 1st and they would vanish after New Year's Day. Therefore, I despised them. But only starting after Christmas. Although my nearest neighbour eaves their light thing up until the end of January 6th. Which kind of makes thirteen days of Christmas but I don't mind that. Especially when Epiphany Octave and the Sunday after Epiphany can take it past the first third of January. Besides, I can't see the neighbours unless I leave my hunting lodge.

Anyone leaving decorations up until Candlemas Eve (1st February) gets extra points. I automatically like them.
So I guess you hate me! lol! I always put mine up on either the first of December or sometime between that after Thanksgiving if I can, and then I take them down on New Year's Eve or day. I just can't stand to see them any longer than that.
 

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Oh, how I wish we had the law (more) on our side here. There are laws, of course--national laws as well as state-specific laws banning "non-service animals"--but unfortunately in Florida, the laws are not enforced equally. Governor Scott passed a law where the owner would have to pay a small fine and the business could ban them, but unless a cop is right there in the store there's not much the store can do because the store owners/managers are too afraid of 'creating a scene' or having some *&(@# write a nasty, one-sided letter that might get them demoted. A policeman or other law enforcement can be the bad guy, but the store owner don't have the backbone to stand up to these people.

I do know that the $hit hits the fan if that dog is in the store when a health inspector visits, though. Unlike the store owner, that inspector doesn't care about hurting anyone's feelings because...well, they're from the government and don't have to be nice or understanding. :) A grocery store in Tampa got shut down for 48 hours when such an event occurred, but I doubt the dog owner cared one bit...it's all about them, y'know.

Several years ago a woman was asked to leave a Publix supermarket in Florida because she brought a pet dog in with her--so she immediately sued Publix for causing her "emotional distress" (translation: embarrassing her in public) and WON a small settlement. From that point on, all Publix said they would do is ask "What service does your service animal perform?", not "Is this a service animal?" or (what I'd ask) "Don't you understand it's a health-code violation to bring your dog in here?" They totally caved and since Publix basically owns the grocery business in Florida, others follow their lead. When I shop and see some old lady trucking around her little poodle/shih-Tzu/rat-dog in the cart, I look at the dog as if he has three heads just to let granny know little Fifi ought to be home.
Is it okay to take a cat in a cat stroller in a store for a few minutes? I don't know why, but I always get this weird feeling that people would hate that more than someone walking their dog into a store. Even though the cat stroller has a covering so the cat can't get out. Is it just me who thinks this?
 

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
8
So I guess you hate me! lol! I always put mine up on either the first of December or sometime between that after Thanksgiving if I can, and then I take them down on New Year's Eve or day. I just can't stand to see them any longer than that.
No, I don't hate you. It is still Christmastide, after all. Christmas trees are still present in the episodes of Hollyoaks set on January 3rd 2017, that feature Sienna trying to trick her multiple murderer bad boy boyfriend Warren Fox into killing his trainee priest son Joel. As Warren unknowingly prepared to hit Joel with a baseball bat, the Christmas tree was nearby. Of course this culminated in Warren tricked into unknowingly leaving his son trapped inside Warren's Wheels as it explodes during Christmastide. And that's good enough for me.

I might sneer though. Saw some lovely lit trees this evening though on the way back from a supermarket that has erased all trace of Christmas.
 

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
No, I don't hate you. It is still Christmastide, after all. Christmas trees are still present in the episodes of Hollyoaks set on January 3rd 2017, that feature Sienna trying to trick her multiple murderer bad boy boyfriend Warren Fox into killing his trainee priest son Joel. As Warren unknowingly prepared to hit Joel with a baseball bat, the Christmas tree was nearby. Of course this culminated in Warren tricked into unknowingly leaving his son trapped inside Warren's Wheels as it explodes during Christmastide. And that's good enough for me.

I might sneer though. Saw some lovely lit trees this evening though on the way back from a supermarket that has erased all trace of Christmas.
It does seem like like they have to come down so soon after I put them up. But then I start to get let down that Christmas and the year is over, so I feel like I need to take them down. Just don't leave your decorations up till after January, and I will give you an imaginary gold star!
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
I think animals are great anywhere :)

On the subject of trees, Christmas trees are supposed to stay up until Epiphany - 6th January. But I totally disagree with it all starting before Halloween.
 

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV
9
 
Awards
24
Is it okay to take a cat in a cat stroller in a store for a few minutes? I don't know why, but I always get this weird feeling that people would hate that more than someone walking their dog into a store. Even though the cat stroller has a covering so the cat can't get out. Is it just me who thinks this?

It's a health code thing set by the states (and by the USDA at the national level), and it applies to all animals who are not licensed as support animals (seeing-eye dogs, etc.). They don't give a flying $%^& if your dog, cat, bird, wombat, or whatever is "so sweet," "clean," "well-behaved" or whatever excuse you present. (They also don't accept the 'cat carrier'/stroller thing, BTW) As usual such laws are in place to curb the behavior of the least-behaved among us, and frankly I don't think it's too much to ask for granny to leave little Fifi at home.

In my opinion, this is a by-product of a larger "the rules don't apply to me" attitude that is rampant down here in Florida. I think it started as tourists deciding to cut loose (not follow local rules/laws) while on vacation, and it just mushroomed as everyone else noticed that others were getting away with it and frightened store managers didn't call them out on it. If the laws ticketed or fined the owners of the animals rather than the owner of the supermarket I'm willing to bet the pets would start staying home.

A local radio DJ from West Palm went on an entertaining but slightly gross rant earlier this year, recounting how he witnessed a woman's dog poop while in a shopping cart in Publix....and the woman simply removed her dog, pushed the cart aside, and left it there. I can't even. Not only did some poor employee have to clean that up, I have to wonder if they condemned that cart or if they just put it back in the lobby after it got wiped down. I would not want my groceries to be in that thing, no matter how much they cleaned it. It made me more aware of...other things...they might leave in a cart that no one sees and does NOT clean up.
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
It IS rather strange that stores are putting out their Christmas displays/merchandise earlier every year (like, July/August for some big-box retailers), and yet on December 26 it all disappears as if they want us to believe none of it ever happened. The remaining Christmas-oriented merchandise gets tossed in shopping carts and shoved into a corner with a "clearance" sign on it as if it suddenly has cooties. The decorations seemingly evaporate as quickly, despite most people leaving theirs up for another week or more. It seems "Christmas Creep" only heads forward on the calendar, not backward.
There is a very simple reason for this. It's to make way for the Easter Eggs about to land anytime soon in your local supermarket. Now that is something which really peeves me off.
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
Is it okay to take a cat in a cat stroller in a store for a few minutes? I don't know why, but I always get this weird feeling that people would hate that more than someone walking their dog into a store. Even though the cat stroller has a covering so the cat can't get out. Is it just me who thinks this?
Never mind the cat, what about a parrot? I honestly believed I was still hungover from Christmas when I was informed a woman had entered our store with a parrot on her shoulder. There it was, complete with bird poo on the lovely ladies shoulder pad. I kindly asked her to leave, without fuss. What is it with these people?
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
I HATE flimsy DVD cases!
The only sturdy part is...the barcode sticker! Underneath the shrink wrap!!:r&r: I myself have already replaced many of them with the classic sturdy cases because I had quite a few spare ones, well, at this point not anymore:(

I couldn't find a video about those HORRIBLE "bendable" CD jewel cases (why would you want to bend them??) but I stumbled upon a tutorial for replacing damaged CD cases (there are several tutorial videos for that, unbelievable!)
upload_2017-1-4_15-17-26.png
What the hell is that white plastic thing attached to the artwork? Actually I had seen it before but I've yet to figure out the purpose of it all.
Is it another security/proof of purchase thing? For what? Do people expect the FBI and CIA coming knocking on their doors and inspect private music and movie collections?

More packaging drama:
I remember one time, it took me at least half an hour to remove one of the DVDs from a 4 DVD set. It was like: press/slide/press somewhere else/slide/a bit to the left/slide/a bit to the right...unbelievable. Since I hadn't finished watching that DVD, I put it back...and then the next day I had forgotten how to get it out of the case:scream: What kind of moron would design something like that?
 
Top