Random things you hate

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have Google as my search engine in the address bar and as my home page.
For many years this was my go to homepage and search engine but Google have become just as intrusive. I've switched to both DuckDuckGo as my search engine and browser. I'll offer you all a preview what DuckDuckGo web browser is doing...stopping all those tracking tools. In the past 7 days using this browser it has stopped 32,882 tracking attempts. The browser itself is not as responsive as Google, Edge or others but obviously it's reading the website prior to loading. I'd much rather put up with with this slight annoyance than companies tracking my every move.

Here is another sneaky little trick I wasn't aware both Google and Edge were doing. As I'm typing this and I misspell a difficult word, in the past I would right click on the word and allow Google and Edge to offer the correct spelling. Did you know when doing this you are giving permission for both browers to read your text? Shameful! Though I'm not sure what they could learn about JR Ewing's wicked ways.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Also: the fly I've just discovered in my living room and hunting for twenty minutes with a towel is a nuisance. I had no flies in my apartment during the summer but now in October? Die, fly, die!

Garfield apparently felt your pain in the Sunday strip of Jan. 2, 1983 (from that Sunday's Denver Post; the day before my 2nd birthday):

denverpostgarfield.jpg

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Many local banks have installed drive-up ATM's for customers. Like any drive-through enterprise, it's meant to be the equivalent of an express lane in a supermarket, where you just withdraw some pocket money or deposit a paycheck---one quick transaction, or two at most. I always seem to get stuck behind that dingbat who spends 5-10 minutes doing lord-knows-what, inserting and withdrawing multiple cards, trying to insert envelopes of cash (it's not 2009 any more) and punching buttons like they're writing a novel. I've never gotten angry enough to blow the horn, but I've certainly contemplated it.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The way the word "partner" has largely replaced "husband" and "wife."
I presume the reason is to promote equality between the sexes, and with unmarried and same-sex couples, but it comes across to me quite bloodless - as in a business partnership.
The irony is that it seems that a lot of same-sex couples seem to take pleasure in calling each other husband or wife, as the case may be.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I presume the reason is to promote equality between the sexes, and with unmarried and same-sex couples, but it comes across to me quite bloodless - as in a business partnership.
The irony is that it seems that a lot of same-sex couples seem to take pleasure in calling each other husband or wife, as the case may be.
I agree with what you say.

I agree completely with treating all people with dignity.
However, there is an increasing tendency to indoctrinate people into a new way that does not respect
people who choose to be called husband and wife.
Control of the language is often a tactic of dictatorial regimes.
Think about that.

Just to use arbitrary numbers, 90% of the people should not be vilified by 10% of the people.
Yes that 10% should be treated with respect, but not with special privileges.
As usual, the main antagonist is the media with their extreme leftist agenda.
The irony is that while they claim to be on the side of tolerance,
they promote more and more intolerance
which ultimately benefits the 1%, who grow richer and richer
while the rest of the people are divided, and left to compete
for fewer and fewer resources

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think "husband/wife" will eventually win out, since "partner" does sound rather cold and transactional even if the original meaning was "partner in life". I mean, no one these days uses that 1970s/1980s term "lover," which was a product of that generation.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I presume the reason is to promote equality between the sexes, and with unmarried and same-sex couples

Perhaps it's down to where I live, but I haven't really come across this. Every married couple I know refers to their spouse as "husband" or "wife" (it kind of goes hand in hand since marriage is ultimately a conservative-leaning institution).

Those I know who use "partner" are committed couples who aren't married. For me this is certainly preferential to "boyfriend" and "girlfriend", which sounds rather childish and casual.

From my experience, I heard the term "partner" more a decade or two ago than I do today. Back then, a greater number of people I knew simply chose not to get married. Now that marriage seems to be back in vogue I hear "husband" and "wife" a hell of a lot. Most couples I know refer to their partner as "husband" and "wife", simply because they are married to said partner.

Just to use arbitrary numbers, 90% of the people should not be vilified by 10% of the people.

While I broadly agree with what you say, I'm not sure that's what's happening here. If language changes and more people elect to use a different term (which, as said above, I haven't experienced to be the case anyway), they're not vilifying those who don't, nor are they trying to force anyone to join them.

But it does seem that they're invoking antagonism, judgement and intolerance for doing what's comfortable for them.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree with what you say.

I agree completely with treating all people with dignity.
However, there is an increasing tendency to indoctrinate people into a new way that does not respect
people who choose to be called husband and wife.
Control of the language is often a tactic of dictatorial regimes.
Think about that.

As usual, the main antagonist is the media with their extreme leftist agenda.
The irony is that while they claim to be on the side of tolerance,
they promote more and more intolerance
which ultimately benefits the 1%, who grow richer and richer
while the rest of the people are divided, and left to compete
for fewer and fewer resources

Although I think the "extreme leftist agenda" -- wokeism, as it were -- which is in fact quite illiberal, has been introduced to undermine the left. And certainly to sow chaos, with the victims ultimately both leftists and rightists. Yes, to make the working class poorer and poorer.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Although I think the "extreme leftist agenda" -- wokeism, as it were -- which is in fact quite illiberal, has been introduced to undermine the left. And certainly to sow chaos, with the victims ultimately both leftists and rightists. Yes, to make the working class poorer and poorer.
I have some thoughts on that, but it is best discussed on other threads

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The local Publix (a popular grocery chain in the Southeast US) is currently charging $4.14 for a 2-liter Pepsi. What the hell??? Publix has never been a "low-price leader" in anything but they usually attempt to remain competitive. I can get the same item at WalMart for $1.98. I have to wonder if Publix jacked up the price (from an already uncomfortable $3.69) because they know we don't want to go anywhere near a WalMart during the Christmas shopping nightmare.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have to wonder if Publix jacked up the price (from an already uncomfortable $3.69) because they know we don't want to go anywhere near a WalMart during the Christmas shopping nightmare.
That’s most likely a big part of it but I bet it’s also because they figure they can get away with it for another reason. Perhaps they figure you’re standing there thinking about what the traffic is going to be like just getting to that Walmart from Publix this time of year and hoping you’ll give up and just pay the ridiculous price instead. I know I’m guilty of this sometimes just because I don’t want to go back out there. I’ll look at that traffic and realize it’s time to cut my losses rather than go somewhere else.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The local Publix (a popular grocery chain in the Southeast US) is currently charging $4.14 for a 2-liter Pepsi. What the hell??? Publix has never been a "low-price leader" in anything but they usually attempt to remain competitive. I can get the same item at WalMart for $1.98. I have to wonder if Publix jacked up the price (from an already uncomfortable $3.69) because they know we don't want to go anywhere near a WalMart during the Christmas shopping nightmare.
I read somewhere that one of the biggest international grocery store chains has decided to stop carrying Pepsi and Lays products because of the huge price increases those companies have on their products.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When movies based on a true story blatantly change the facts around to make things more entertaining. I’d rather see things for what they were. I really don’t care if the end result makes the movie less fun.

I know, I know. It’s Hollywood.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
When movies based on a true story blatantly change the facts around to make things more entertaining. I’d rather see things for what they were. I really don’t care if the end result makes the movie less fun.

I know, I know. It’s Hollywood.
I would add when they change a fictional character's origins in a fundamental way, make a "politically correct" change to a character and/or franchise
which impairs the core of the character/franchise, disrespect the fan base of a character/franchise by admonishing people who express their objections.
I should form a list - it would be a long one

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When movies based on a true story blatantly change the facts around to make things more entertaining
Think of it as remakes :D
I think that films want to be entertaining first and informative secondly, hence why the true story is only used as a source of inspiration.

I do have an issue with (mostly modern) documentaries being so blatantly mood-enchancing and manipulative.
But I'm sure other people are going to disagree with that.

"ALIEN - from the maker of GLADIATOR"
DAS BOOT - from the director of AIR FORCE ONE :2B: