What Type Of Dallas Series Do You Want To See Now?

What Interests You The Most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I think you should watch all of it. Sue Ellen's alcoholism story was dealt with again and gave us some great moments.

Heather and Chris made a nice couple too. :)

I'll give it a go at the weekend. :)

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Perhaps it's time I actually watched Cidre's third season. Has that third season got any redeeming features in it, or should I just avoid watching it!?! :(

Life is too short and precious, @Via The Void . Id do something else more interesting instead , (like washing your hair lol) I didnt even buy the DVD, not wasting £11.99!!

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'll give it a go at the weekend. :)

So, Via, how was it? Tell us what you thought.

Life is too short and precious, @Via The Void . Id do something else more interesting instead , (like washing your hair lol) I didnt even buy the DVD, not wasting £11.99!!

You, and @Herofan and @Willie Oleson and @thomaswak all said you want to see "something else" besides what I listed in the poll. Have any of you decided what that something else would be?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Have any of you decided what that something else would be?
For a remake, I'd focus on characters who got involved with the Ewings, rather than the Ewings themselves. After all, these characters also represent DALLAS the city.
That way we'd have Marilee Stone, Mickey Trotter, Guzzler, Mitch Cooper, Mandy Winger and you name it in the lead roles

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
So, Via, how was it? Tell us what you thought.

You, and @Herofan and @Willie Oleson and @thomaswak all said you want to see "something else" besides what I listed in the poll. Have any of you decided what that something else would be?

I watched a couple of episodes & then stopped.

It was okay but my heart wasn't really in it. :(

I'll always love the original Lorimar produced Dallas more. :)

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound

Think my answer is on P1 - i dont want anything to further damage the show and I think the Dallas brand has had its day and ended in 1991

People can call a show Dallas all they want BUT IT WAS THE PEOPLE/ACTORS IN IT THAT MADE IT SPECIAL and in 1978 it was different, had a great ensemble cast and storylines, was different from anything i had watched before and had it all. Im so glad i was the right age at the right time to enjoy it from day 1
It dominated my life especially by 1980 onwards and im so thankful that i got onto the Dalllas set in LA as "Europes biggest Dallas fan" and met 9 of the cast in 1983 When my life ends and flashes by me i will think of that moment and the excitement of those 2 days - It was the biggest thrill out and hard to top.

To see TNT and CC produce a sub rate second class poor mans crappy show under the title and guise of Dallas made me want to reach for Miss Ellies shotgun and throw up with Third rate actors (cough) and third rate scripts

I dont want Dallas back in any shape or format and without the core people who made it special

I dont want anything

No prequel, done that

no movies - done that

and no reboot.

Half the Dallas cast are sadly dead and they made Dallas the success it was, i dont want some second rate script and actors destroying Dallas further as TNT and CC did enough harm there.

It sucked and it was a flop and it tarnished the original show, and changed Dallas history.

With no Barbara, Howard, Jim, Larry, Ken etc and no Victoria, Susan etc likely to show, it isnt Dallas

Dallas - the most successful show of the 1980s and thats where it should stay.

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Think my answer is on P1 - i dont want anything to further damage the show and I think the Dallas brand has had its day and ended in 1991

People can call a show Dallas all they want BUT IT WAS THE PEOPLE/ACTORS IN IT THAT MADE IT SPECIAL and in 1978 it was different, had a great ensemble cast and storylines, was different from anything i had watched before and had it all. Im so glad i was the right age at the right time to enjoy it from day 1
It dominated my life especially by 1980 onwards and im so thankful that i got onto the Dalllas set in LA as "Europes biggest Dallas fan" and met 9 of the cast in 1983 When my life ends and flashes by me i will think of that moment and the excitement of those 2 days - It was the biggest thrill out and hard to top.

To see TNT and CC produce a sub rate second class poor mans crappy show under the title and guise of Dallas made me want to reach for Miss Ellies shotgun and throw up with Third rate actors (cough) and third rate scripts

I dont want Dallas back in any shape or format and without the core people who made it special

How did you get onto the Dallas set in 1983 and meet nine of the cast? Was it a prize for a contest you won, did you know someone who knew someone who made it happen, or something else? Sounds like you had an amazing time!

They really did have amazing casting. It's hard to believe that they were able to find those particular actors to play those particular characters.

I have said I'd like to see show that would cover approximately 1968-1978, and if they cast great actors in those roles and had a great script, I would enjoy it. I always thought it would be fun to see Bobby in his "playboy lifestyle" and see Jock building the company while teaching a young JR the business. BTW, I don't expect that to happen, but as long as we're talking about hypothetical scenarios, that would be something that would interest me.

I really can understand why you don't want to see any more shows named Dallas at all though. I would hate to see a prequel done poorly. I'd hate to see something set in 2020 called Dallas because as you've said,@Barbara Fan, Dallas was a product of its time. I'm glad it started just before the 80s because I think that gave Dallas more realism than the other 80s primetime soaps seemed to have as well as a certain ruggedness. The ranching, the fights, the unpretentious attitude (as far as them not really flashing their wealth around like others would have). Dallas was the original 80s primetime soap and the originals are always the best.

That's why the more I think about it, I just don't see any type of Dallas set in the present time working. TNT Dallas failed! A good story is timeless, but that's very different from thinking you can put a good story in any time period. Dallas every bit as much belongs in the 20th century as Gone With The Wind belonged in the 19th century.

lbf522

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess the last TNT season has a few moments in it that were fun, but overall it's pretty bad. Even Bobby was disappointing and he was one of the few bright spots of the show, but there's a scene where he just caves in to a demand from Elena that was pathetic. Basically she extorted him and instead of reacting like you'd expect Bobby would, he payed her off. When the maid's daughter can successfully extort Bobby Ewing, that's pretty sad. Then of course, Christopher falls in love with her Elena, because what woman could be more irresistible than the one who just extorted your family? It was ridiculous. The most likely reason I can see for any of that is CC was vicariously living through Elena.

Yes watching the Ramoses walking all over the Ewings was hard to watch. I remember scene where that guy came into Southfork and tells John Ross that the maid does not like him as if he should care. I stopped liking Elena after she had her mother give John Ross his engagement ring which was a hateful and cowardly thing to do not to mention that no mother would agree to do such a thing especially since she works for these people.
Elena's brother blew up a platform with people standing on it and then she and her mother helps him leave the country which makes them accomplishes of his crime. The Ewings could have easily made their lives hell instead we get Elena acting like the Ewings did her wrong.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
To be honest when I stopped season three of the Cyntax Dallas, I reached for season six of the Lorimar Dallas.

Now there's a great season. I'm now half way through the battle for Ewing Oil. Pam & Cliff's Mother has just died in a plane crash. Walt Driscoll has a proposal for JR which is quite clearly illegal, selling oil to an embargoed country, in this case Cuba.

Pam's marriage is on the rocks, after supporting Miss Ellie in wanting to overturn Jocks will, Bobby is not impressed by her & now thanks to Katherine he's seen her dining with Mark Graison!

Looking forward to more Dallas tonight, but season six of the original not season three of the continuation! :)

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
We could witness the affair unfold between Jock and Margaret Hunter while he was stationed in Britain during 1944.
But if you go by Triangle, which aired in 1978, Ray is a couple of months off his twentieth anniversary at Southfork. And he is said to have been 15 when he arrived then.

Last edited:

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Has there been any more word about this now that the right's to Dallas have gone back to Time Warner? :)

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Has there been any more word about this now that the right's to Dallas have gone back to Time Warner? :)

I would imagine that even if they had very early plans they'd be on hold right now over the Covid-19 problems. I'm just hoping that they discussed a blu-ray release - it would make me so happy - but I won't be completely happy until we get a Blake's 7 blu-ray set too.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Apparently Josh Henderson wants to bring Dallas back.

Whether he can actually do anything about it remains to be seen.

There is a video on Facebook somewhere which has Patrick, Linda & I think Steve in it talking about Dallas.

So let's just wait & see. :)

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My opinion is gonna be very unpopular.
But I would love to see a Dallas remake, with new actors to play Pam, Bobby, Sue Ellen, JR...
And the OG cast to play different characters. Bobby as Jock, Linda Gray as Mis Ellie, Steve Kanaly as Digger Barnes for exemple.

I would love to see a new Dallas, that understand the dynamics of the relations of the characters, their core, and take the best of the OG storyline, and twist them. This would need great writers, who know and understand OG Dallas.

So it will never happen lol

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The problem with bringing Dallas back is the hierarchy will go running to CC to act as Showrunner....and we all know how well that panned out.
Not necessarily. If this is really under serious consideration they would presumably want to give some thought to what went wrong the last time and try to avoid that.
Ideally, they'd talk to some fans or someone with a real knowledge of the original.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My opinion is gonna be very unpopular.
That's the beauty of this site. Unlike others (facebook) Telly Talkers (previously known as Soapchat) can offer an opinion without fear of others screaming, swearing and in general treating others like idiots. If I want that in my life I'll travel over to facebook. I hope Telly Talkers can rise above that nonsense.

In general I don't like the idea of a Dallas reboot with new or former actors playing such iconic characters. I'd much prefer a continuation because there is enough story left to explore what happened to Lucas, Margaret and Cally's child? Where is James? Will we - or should we - learn the fate of JR's long lost daughter? There is plenty of life in a Dallas continuation...in the right hands of course.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's the beauty of this site. Unlike others (facebook) Telly Talkers (previously known as Soapchat) can offer an opinion without fear of others screaming, swearing and in general treating others like idiots. If I want that in my life I'll travel over to facebook. I hope Telly Talkers can rise above that nonsense.

In general I don't like the idea of a Dallas reboot with new or former actors playing such iconic characters. I'd much prefer a continuation because there is enough story left to explore what happened to Lucas, Margaret and Cally's child? Where is James? Will we - or should we - learn the fate of JR's long lost daughter? There is plenty of life in a Dallas continuation...in the right hands of course.

It's the key words. With good writers, with a good show runner, they can do wonder. Reboot or continuation.