What was the last documentary you watched?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Binged all of The Ripper tonight too and really enjoyed it. A friend has told me there is another different one on it on the iPlayer too so I will look for that this week. Also looking forward to the Night Stalker documentary series coming soon to Netflix. I have read a bit about in the past and it's so creepy and frightening.

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Binged all of The Ripper tonight too and really enjoyed it. A friend has told me there is another different one on it on the iPlayer too so I will look for that this week. Also looking forward to the Night Stalker documentary series coming soon to Netflix. I have read a bit about in the past and it's so creepy and frightening.
We're watching The Ripper at the moment and it's a very detailed documentary, if a little slow paced. Only on episode 2 at the moment but it's quite refreshing to see such a detailed documentary on something that doesn't glorify Sutcliff's crimes.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Utterly charming and very inspiring BBC doc on 'Outsider Art', which explores how art created by those with mental issues (some in institutions), learning disabilities and other disabilities, has gained popularity in the art world for it's unique perspectives and styles, which are not influenced by, or do not seek to reference any earlier art movements, but exist as pure expressions of the artist's inner worlds.

Last edited:

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just finished The Ripper and very frustrated that they didn't include an epilogue about the fake tapes that destroyed the case for the police. John Humble was jailed in 2006 for 8 years and died in 2019. Because of John many more murders occurred, a great shame this wasn't included in the documentary.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just finished The Ripper and very frustrated that they didn't include an epilogue about the fake tapes that destroyed the case for the police. John Humble was jailed in 2006 for 8 years and died in 2019. Because of John many more murders occurred, a great shame this wasn't included in the documentary.

Thanks for that. I did wonder about that and you're right, many more lost their lives because of his actions, so you'd think in a 4 hour doc they could have included something about his fate.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I watched the India Oxenberg one and was thinking Catherine needed a wee shove. Any Irish mammy would have had that girl trailed out of that sect by her hair.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I tried to watch the Oxenberg documentary recently but to be honest I found it too disturbing and I had to turn it off. It was definitely interesting but wasn’t for me

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Binge watched all 4 episodes of the Night Crawler serial killer doc on Neflix. It's really good but it's pretty gruesome, with some very graphic, stylized reconstructions of some of the murders and actual photos of the crime scenes which were quite disturbing. And when we are finally introduced to the killer he is every bit as creepy and evil as his crimes. Not for the faint-hearted but pretty gripping stuff if you like that kind of thing.

1611017961644.png

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's really good but it's pretty gruesome, with some very graphic, stylized reconstructions of some of the murders and actual photos of the crime scenes which were quite disturbing.
I watched this over the last few nights. I was forewarned about the disturbing nature of re-enactments and images taken of the crime scenes but found it rather tame. I've seen more gruesome stuff on television series Bones or C.S.I.

I'll never understand how one human can inflict so much sorrow on others. The lunatic killed and raped for the pleasure of it. It didn't matter if they were men, women or children. Truly disturbing. Even more horrifying? When he was finally caught and was tried women thought the guy was hot and were writing and sending pictures of themselves, mostly nudes. I wished the producers had the balls to show us their faces. I wonder where those women are now and feel about their pathetic behaviour.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched this over the last few nights. I was forewarned about the disturbing nature of re-enactments and images taken of the crime scenes but found it rather tame. I've seen more gruesome stuff on television series Bones or C.S.I.

Sure, but I guess the fact that it was true made it all the more chilling. Plus there was the sense that they were really walking a thin line between showing us what happened and including some scenes which seemed more designed to be slasher movie type 'entertainment'. I wonder how any relatives of the deceased would have felt watching those scenes.

When he was finally caught and was tried women thought the guy was hot and were writing and sending pictures of themselves, mostly nudes. I wished the producers had the balls to show us their faces. I wonder where those women are now and feel about their pathetic behaviour.

That was pretty shocking. I guess the world is full of weirdos!

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jimmy Carter: Rock and Roll President (2020)

A superb documentary telling the story of President Jimmy Carter's relationship with music, how it helped him get elected to the Presidency and the role it played in helping him make decisions. A truly fascinating insight into who he is and the decency and integrity he brought to the Presidency.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Binge watched all 4 episodes of the Night Crawler serial killer doc on Neflix. It's really good but it's pretty gruesome, with some very graphic, stylized reconstructions of some of the murders and actual photos of the crime scenes which were quite disturbing. And when we are finally introduced to the killer he is every bit as creepy and evil as his crimes. Not for the faint-hearted but pretty gripping stuff if you like that kind of thing.

View attachment 24548
I binged this all in one day too and yea, it was pretty gruesome. Proof that pure evil does exist in this world. He wasn't classed as mentally ill, he was sane, just sick and evil. At one point I had to stop watching and go away from it for a while. What really got to me was the kids, that he would abduct them and then take them and abuse them for hours and then let them go. I found that really chilling, he was a serial killer, that's horrific enough but it wasn't evil enough for him. He wanted the kids to remember what he did. He wanted to cause permanent damage they had to live with.
Nightmarish! I had told two friends to watch it, but to make sure they watch it during the day, it's not something to watch before going to bed.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I watched all of the Night Stalker this weekend too and was really creeped out by it. Home Invasions are terrifying to me. The thought of being sound asleep in your home, where you feel safe and secure and waking up to find this nightmare monster in your bedroom is absolutely horrifying.

The way he ends up getting caught and the role the community played is so remarkable.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Proof that pure evil does exist in this world. He wasn't classed as mentally ill, he was sane, just sick and evil. At one point I had to stop watching and go away from it for a while.

Yes, he really was evil incarnate. I actually had to take a break from it too and normally I lap this stuff up.
What really got to me was the kids, that he would abduct them and then take them and abuse them for hours and then let them go. I found that really chilling, he was a serial killer, that's horrific enough but it wasn't evil enough for him. He wanted the kids to remember what he did. He wanted to cause permanent damage they had to live with.

I think that's what made him so much more creepy than your average serial killer. Normally they follow a pattern, have a certain type of victim and have a preferred method of killing them. But with him it was so random, as long as it was depraved he was into it. Killing people of any age, male or female, in a whole manner of ways and also molesting boy and girls. It was so indiscriminate. Anyone living in LA at the time would quite likely be petrified as his next victim could literally be anyone.

God knows how anyone who survived an attack by him went on, with the memory of what he did to them and knowing how it could have ended. I was very impressed with the little girl who he let go who we saw as an adult. She seemed very together all things considered.

I watched all of the Night Stalker this weekend too and was really creeped out by it. Home Invasions are terrifying to me.

I was creeped out by it too, more than your average serial killer doc. I found myself going to check that my front door was locked between episodes!

he way he ends up getting caught and the role the community played is so remarkable.

Yes, that was quite satisfying. I wonder if it would have gone down like that today or if it would have been mostly people standing back filming it on their phones.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Last night I watched "The World According to Dick Cheney" on Showtime.

It's amazing to me how time has softened my feelings towards George W. Bush so much, but still, every time I see Dick Cheney I want to cuff him upside his head.

Last edited:

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Ukdallasfan

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Paedophile Hunters: Undercover Police on channel 4. Very heavy but disturbingly informative