What was the last documentary you watched?

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Oh, I hadn't realised this.

The Bay area of Cardiff has quite a fascinating history. Being a port it was often the first stop for immigrants and has one of the UKs most established ethnically diverse communities.

It's also the title of a film set in the area starring John Mills and his daughter Hayley.

Shirley Bassey - who grew up there - was known as "the tigress (or temptress) from Tiger Bay". And eventually recorded this track:
Yes when I was younger I remember being very impressed that Shirley Bassey was from North Belfast.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Mayor Pete (2021)

I didn't know much about Pete Buttigieg before watching this documentary about his for President of the United States and I don't think I know much more about him after watching it. It's more of a promo for him than and documentary and in it he is only interviewed by his husband so there are no difficult or probing questions. It's a pity because an openly gay man running for President in a country like American where there is a powerful and vocal right wing religious section of the population should be a fascinating story.

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Coming Out Colton (Netflix). Colton Underwood NFL player/Bachelor comes out in this 6 part series.

I don't think I've cried so much watching a show for many years - it really did hit home on so many levels. Highly recommended and I've no knowledge of Colton whatsoever, but I absolutely adore him now. Fantastic documentary.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Coming Out Colton (Netflix). Colton Underwood NFL player/Bachelor comes out in this 6 part series.

I don't think I've cried so much watching a show for many years - it really did hit home on so many levels. Highly recommended and I've no knowledge of Colton whatsoever, but I absolutely adore him now. Fantastic documentary.
Gosh this only was released yesterday and you've watched it all already. That alone suggests it's worth seeing. It does sound good though so I'll put it on my list to watch.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
We finished a three-part documentary POSITIVE on the UK AIDS crisis.

While we know more about the horrific way, our government and media reacted to this and the horrors of Thatcher and her hateful party. This was another heartbreaking recount and included many interviews from survivors, doctors, journalists and politicians about the dawning realisation of this dreadful disease.

1638710621575.png

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Lancaster at 80. Narrated by Sir David Jason.

I’ve also caught Channel 4 World War Two documentaries that share incidental music with Hollyoaks. Which is why I associate loveable dangerous psycho Warren Fox restealing his children… with the Luftwaffe.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Coming Out Colton (2021)

A documentary series followed Colton Underwood as he comes out to a series of different people and begins to embrace a gay lifestyle. After reading @pete lashmar positive comments about this documentary, I thought I would give it a watch. Maybe I wasn't the target audience because I didn't really like it and gave up half was through episode 4.

The series begins with Colton coming out to his mother and I couldn't help thinking this is either faked for the cameras or Colton is completely selfish in and insensitive in forcing his mother to process the news while being filmed. He then does exactly the same when he comes out to friends, his brother and his dad and in each case everyone had to give the response they felt they should give for the camera which may have been different to what they actually felt. It would have been far better and more honest had the told them off camera and then after some time had passed, to go back to them for an interview to get their feelings to the news. Filming it all for the documentary didn't respect the privacy of his loved ones and to me Colton came across as being totally self-absorbed and I never warmed to him as a person which affected how I felt about the documentary overall.

I really wanted to like this series but it just wasn't for me.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
King of Cool (2021)

1310968103-e020207216cfd773a4bc3c5342388dec2bb6cc08ba4cc2b8f.jpg

The life of Dean Martin. A really interesting documentary with some great stories about the man, my favourite of which was how he and his Rat Pack buddies supported John Kennedy to beat Nixon for the USA President. When Kennedy won, he invited them all to his inauguration party except for Sammy Davis Jnr because he felt America couldn't handle seeing a black and white couple(Sammy Davis Jnr had a white wife). The other Rat Pack members accepted the invitation and went to the party except for Dean who said if they thought Sammy and his wife weren't good enough to go then he wouldn't go either. The story about his split and reunion with Jerry Lewis was told, including a touching story how when the 2 were barely on speaking terms, Jerry Lewis turned up at Dean's son's funeral and sat alone at the back so he wouldn't be noticed.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Excellent doc about John Curry, the Olympic Champion figure skater, which features some absolutely mesmerizing skating routines.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Arsene Wenger: Invincible (2021)

I love this guy so much there was no way I wasn't going to like this documentary. Arsene Wenger the greatest Arsenal manager and one of the greatest football managers ever is interviewed extensively about his life and career, particularly focussing on his achievement of taking Arsenal through an entire season of the Premier League without losing a game. All his major players contributed to the documentary but it was Sir Alex Ferguson, his great rival, whose contribution was the most interesting. Not just for Arsenal fans, or even football fans, this is a fascinating documentary about a fascinating man.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Not the last one I saw, but I would suggest "Super Size Me" by Morgan Spurlock,
because I think people would benefit if they were more conscious of their
eating habits.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Over the weekend I watched 'The Most Hated Man On The Internet' which was very good. Loathsome villain and a fearless mother on a crusade to take him down. Worth a watch.

Then yesterday I watched 'Trainwreck: Woodstock 99'. Also very good!

Both are 3 part docuseries on Netflix.