- Awards
- 20
Mary Poppins Returns (2018)
I'm only now catching up with this. In a word, excellent. It obviously can't recapture that sense of newness, but it has just the right combination the familiar and unexpected.
Like the first one, many of the incidents are drawn from the books, but set against a new plot, but one which also ties into the first one. Absent characters are honoured, and the new ones introduced logically - if logic is something that is required with Mary Poppins.
And I do believe that Emily Blunt is closer to the Mary Poppins of the books. She has a haughtiness that Julie Andrews never quite achieved. "Spoonful of Sugar" might be her motto but the Poppins of the books is not that sweet.
I'm only now catching up with this. In a word, excellent. It obviously can't recapture that sense of newness, but it has just the right combination the familiar and unexpected.
Like the first one, many of the incidents are drawn from the books, but set against a new plot, but one which also ties into the first one. Absent characters are honoured, and the new ones introduced logically - if logic is something that is required with Mary Poppins.
And I do believe that Emily Blunt is closer to the Mary Poppins of the books. She has a haughtiness that Julie Andrews never quite achieved. "Spoonful of Sugar" might be her motto but the Poppins of the books is not that sweet.
