What was the last film you watched?

Toni

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Last night I watched "Love, Simon". As outdated as one of Bill Cosby´s jerseys. "Glee" was Shakespeare compared with this (the parody of a Glee-like number must be the best scene here, btw...)

thomaswak

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
Reaction score
It's been a little while since I watched a recent movie I could truly enjoy :( Most of new movies taste like crap to me... But there are a little few ones, I did love, deeply.
Midsommar is the first to come in mind. I loved, loved, loved that movie. So many Vikings cultural references, so many attention to details, foreshadowing, subliminal images (look at the trees... Yes, maybe you will see something you wouldn't see, if you don't pay attention). The movie is so fascinating. Nothing is "under the nose". You have to pay attention to everything : dialogs, sound, set, background set. You will even need to do some internet researches if your not familiar with some culturals Vikings myths and stories. Best movie of 2019. And I know a lot of people you juste hated it. Mainly because they were expecting something easy, with jump scares and explanations, à la BlumHouse.

It's a slow burn but but gradually gains momentum as it reaches it's very dark and effed up crescendo. Very atmospheric and unnerving, and you never quite know where it's going. I didn't really understand what was going on some of the time but that kind of added to the suspense. The performances are great, especially Toni Collete. All in all a pretty good modern horror movie.

Same director than Midsommar actually . Again, I would say the same about Hereditary: everything is in the dialogues, the details, the set, the sounds. it's like a puzzle. When you connect every pieces, you can see the masterpiece.

Last edited:

Toni

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
- "The Entity" (So much better that that "Hereditary" movie some people up there liked...) :rolleyes:;)
- "Married to It" (A mediocre 90s comedy only saved by a great Stockard Channing)

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Some Will, Some Won't (1970)

What a cast: Thora Hird; Leslie Phillips; Ronnie Corbett and Michael Hordern all playing relatives of Wilfrid Brambell.

Throw in Arthur Lowe; Frank Thornton; Sheila Steafel and James Robertson Justice and it couldn't be more quintessentially 1970 Britain.

De bronafbeelding bekijken

This looked very funny, but my eyes and brains couldn't keep up with the frenetic animation. After 15 minutes I felt completely worn out.
I need a lie down just from looking at the poster.

Ukdallasfan

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
Quartet- the only film directed by Dustin Hoffman. Stellar older cast and just lovely. Maggie Smith on top form :)

Toni

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
"Room" (the 2015 one, of course...). Great, but must be seen with a positive mood. One of the most deserved Oscars of the Millennium for Brie Larson.

Last edited:

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Fan
Reaction score
"Room" (the 2015 one, of course...). Great, but must be seen with a positive mood. One of the most deserved Oscars of the Millennium for Brie Larson.
My God what a powerful movie. Best actress performance in movies since Meryl Streep in "Sophie's Choice."

Toni

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
I watched "Black Panther" again today...and I'm sure everyone knows why.

Rest in Power.
I myself watched the last (for now) Avengers, Endgame. RIP Chadwick Boseman. The movie was better than the previous entries despite its hyper-long running time (3 hours!).

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
Lilies In The Field (1963)

The film for which Sidney Poitier became the first black actor to win the Oscar for best actor. I've wanted to see this film for many years and finally I have and I wasn't disappointed. Sidney Poitier plays Homer Smith who by chance meets a group of nuns and who persuade him to stay and build a chapel for them. It's an understated film that has drama and humour with just the right balance of each. Sidney Poitier is outstanding and gives one of the most charming and endearing performances you will ever see in a film.

Last edited:

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Fan
Reaction score
I just watched (or attempted to watch) "Dark Shadows."

My mom used to watch the TV show when I was a kid. I remember quite a bit of it. After and hour of the Johnny Depp version I am sooooo confused.

Toni

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
"Wonder Wheel". Good story, great performances, stylish look.

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Fran (1985)

Mainly out of curiosity to see Noni Hazlehurst play someone other than Elizabeth Bligh.

It's fairly grim in places, which is perhaps reinforced by the Eighties production values. Not an easy watch, but a great performance all the same. She's not afraid to go ugly.​