What was the last film you watched?

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
McCleod's Daughters (1996 Telefilm)

The intent was to immediately begin watching the reworked series that came along a few years later, but I feel tired at the thought of 225 episodes.

I'll come back to it when I'm not going to compare it unfavourably harshly with A Place To Call Home.​

superman fan

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Grease is on my Netflix list so I just finished watching and singing along!

Toni

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
- "Hotel Artemis". Unexpectedly good. If you like "Altered Carbon" or some other dystopian movie or TV show, this one is for you. A little nice old nurse played by Jodie Foster runs a clinic for criminals in the middle of chaos in L.A. in a near future. Not only for the fans of futuristic films, but also for action buffs in general, Foster´s performance and characterization deserves to be seen. The rest of the cast is equally good with no exception. As usual, the trailer below shows too much of the movie but will give you more reason to watch it (probably).

- I also watched a 1987 movie titled "Julia & Julia" starring Kathleen Turner, Gabriel Byrne and Sting (yes, that one...). I was going to post the trailer here but it shows the end so I pass! If you liked (and miss!) "The OA", "Dark" or "Fringe", you'll find this one the most intriguing and mesmerizing. The story begins when Julia (Turner) marries Byrne´s character. Soon after, something happens (or not?) and we see how she adapts to her new life. Until her car must stop right before a tunnel that is being washed, and when she finally crosses the tunnel...well, everything begins. Actually it's a conundrum, and shouldn't be watched expecting a direct answer to the mysteries.

1599944687463.png

I wish the movie itself looked as good as this promo pic!​

The only problem with this movie is that it was filmed on video (in 1987) and then transferred to 35 mm, so it has the image quality of "Dallas" or "Dynasty" in that era: blurry and color-saturated. In this case, it makes sense, and adds to the gothic side of the story. Turner delivers one of her best performances (especially considering she had just had a miscarriage when she started the filming, and some scenes simply had to be very tough for her to play), and the rest does well the little work they are being asked. Not for all tastes, but worthy searching and watching. (Not to be confused with the Meryl Streep-Amy Adams comedy!)

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Enthusiast
Reaction score
Medals
Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return (2013)
Animated movie starring the voice of Lea Michele.
By my count this is the third competing sequel that has been made to The Wizard of Oz. (four if you include the TV special Return to Oz).
No specific complaints but I don't think any of them have improved on Journey Back to Oz (1972) starring the voice of Liza Minnelli.

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I'm slightly embarrassed to admit I willingly watched The Meg last night. Well - it was free on Prime.

Disappointingly, it wasn't as terrible as I'd hoped it would be. Not that I'd be in a rush to watch it again, you understand.​

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
Bill and Ted Face The Music (2020).

I loved the first Bill and Ted film (the second one less so) and this one had strong reviews so I really wanted to like it but it didn't live up to my expectations. They tried to recreate the warmth, comedy and silliness of the original film but Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter are just to old now to pull this off convincingly. It's not a bad film and there are some genuinely funny moments but fans of the original film might be disappointed and people new to the characters may not get what their appeal was in the first place.

Last edited: