Locations

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score

Those camera perspectives were definitely interesting...for lack of a better word they could compress the picture by clearly bringing the far-away background close-in.

That white fence I marked is beyond the bent tree, but looks closer-in on the shot, as do the 2 white-marked trees. Yet they are quite far back. I think that's the perpendicular fence shown in the scene.

On the previous post pic you can see how the road bends around that tree. The bent tree behind it is still there, now without a white bottom.

Potrero Rd 1.png

===================

On this second pic, the perspective is me standing at the bend in the road. Looks like that first white-bottomed tree was removed as a road hazard. You can see how far down the road that bent tree is. But the scene as filmed makes it look closer. The 'closer' fence below I would assume was built after, unless the perspective is off there also.

Potrero Rd 2.png

I know that some Brinkmann ranch locations were used in dvd S2 and maybe S3, like where Bobby and Ray are branding and Bobby says to Pam about "I damned near killed that man". I didn't realize how many early scenes were shot at JMJ that early on. If you look closely tho' at some of the scenes, you do see mountains in the background that just aren't around Dallas.

Last edited:

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Dvd S5 E17 MY FATHER, MY SON.

JR is taking John Ross for the weekend. Before he leaves, he asks Swellen to go to the kiddie park. She goes.

The play area is different. But it's still a play area. The exit scene is at Huston and Stansbury, in Sherman Oaks, northwest of LA. It's called Van Nuys / Sherman Oaks Rec Center.

The scenes are when they're leaving. This first pic shows typical tall LA palms in the background. Those palms keyed me to LA. They, or replacements, are in the scene walking toward the car. The blowup play area is where the play area used to be. The parking lot exit is to the left (not shown here).

Huston Park wPalms.png

Below, red marks where JR's car was parked, facing the exit. Note the piece of blowup play area to the right, and the parked cars behind the red.

Huston exit.png

The next pic shows the "Huston" street sign, seen in the exit scene. JR exits, crossing Huston and heads down Stansbury, shown here. "My back" is to the exit, which is just offset from Stansbury.

Huston Leaving.png

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
OK jm10, a challenge question: Where is Swellen's town house? ( Somehow I think it's a mistake to challenge this guy on a location )

View attachment 16705

I have to admit that I have spent a ridiculous amount of time looking for her house, but I have not found anything yet! I am currently on season 5 so I am seeing this a lot right now. I know it was just an exterior shot since the condo interiors were on the soundstage in CA, but this exterior does not scream CA to me. I have been looking in the Dallas area for some kind of townhome. Maybe someday we can find it.

This week I have been attending professional development in Dallas at a location near the intersection of Northwest Highway and the Dallas North Tollroad. As you will know from your map, this is near quite a few landmarks from the show. I have been thinking about y’all!

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards

JR is taking John Ross for the weekend. Before he leaves, he asks Swellen to go to the kiddie park. She goes.

The play area is different. But it's still a play area. The exit scene is at Huston and Stansbury, in Sherman Oaks, northwest of LA. It's called Van Nuys / Sherman Oaks Rec Center.

The scenes are when they're leaving. This first pic shows typical tall LA palms in the background. Those palms keyed me to LA. They, or replacements, are in the scene walking toward the car. The blowup play area is where the play area used to be. The parking lot exit is to the left (not shown here).

View attachment 16716

Below, red marks where JR's car was parked, facing the exit. Note the piece of blowup play area to the right, and the parked cars behind the red.

View attachment 16717

The next pic shows the "Huston" street sign, seen in the exit scene. JR exits, crossing Huston and heads down Stansbury, shown here. "My back" is to the exit, which is just offset from Stansbury.

View attachment 16718

That’s right! I remember reading about that play structure that was eventually removed. It had gotten into bad shape and was being used for some inappropriate activity leading to its eventual removal when the park was refurbished.

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Those camera perspectives were definitely interesting...for lack of a better word they could compress the picture by clearly bringing the far-away background close-in.

That white fence I marked is beyond the bent tree, but looks closer-in on the shot, as do the 2 white-marked trees. Yet they are quite far back. I think that's the perpendicular fence shown in the scene.

On the previous post pic you can see how the road bends around that tree. The bent tree behind it is still there, now without a white bottom.

View attachment 16713

===================

On this second pic, the perspective is me standing at the bend in the road. Looks like that first white-bottomed tree was removed as a road hazard. You can see how far down the road that bent tree is. But the scene as filmed makes it look closer. The 'closer' fence below I would assume was built after, unless the perspective is off there also.

View attachment 16714
I know that some Brinkmann ranch locations were used in dvd S2 and maybe S3, like where Bobby and Ray are branding and Bobby says to Pam about "I damned near killed that man". I didn't realize how many early scenes were shot at JMJ that early on. If you look closely tho' at some of the scenes, you do see mountains in the background that just aren't around Dallas.

Good work, @Bill Dilks!

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
D0C7C88D-A751-4596-8B20-BE6E21609EC0.jpeg

Here is a location that I have passed by several times this week. It isn’t too hard to find.

In season 10 Bobby, Pam, and Christopher head out for burgers at Keller’s on Northwest Highway and run into Charlie. Since she is hanging out with a rough crowd, they take her home.

You can still eat here today!

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards

View attachment 16716

View attachment 16717

View attachment 16718

Here is the article about the park’s renovation! It was written in 1987. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1987-01-28-me-1241-story.html

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

View attachment 16713

===================

View attachment 16714

I wonder if that road has been rerouted a bit since those scenes were filmed (which makes sense if it goes where that larger tree used to be), or else maybe it's a different nearby road. When you watch the scene, the distance from the trees with the white bottoms to the bend isn't very far - not nearly as far as it looks on Google street view.

That leaning tree does look really similar, though. Maybe the current roadway is more lined up to where the bushes and telephone poles are on the left of the screenshot with Ewing 4, and the bend in the scene isn't the bend in the road we see today right where the entrance to JMJ Ranch is.

(Cliff and Old Man Kessel drive off in Cliff's sweet 70s Cutlass at Mr. Kessel's very California-looking farm)

Last edited:

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wonder if that road has been rerouted a bit since those scenes were filmed (which makes sense if it goes where that larger tree used to be), or else maybe it's a different nearby road. When you watch the scene, the distance from the trees with the white bottoms to the bend isn't very far - not nearly as far as it looks on Google street view.

That leaning tree does look really similar, though. Maybe the current roadway is more lined up to where the bushes and telephone poles are on the left of the screenshot with Ewing 4, and the bend in the scene isn't the bend in the road we see today right where the entrance to JMJ Ranch is.

(Cliff and Old Man Kessel drive off in Cliff's sweet 70s Cutlass at Mr. Kessel's very California-looking farm)

when I looks at it closely, it really does look like you have the stretch of road nailed. The telephone poles match up pretty perfectly and the tree looks the same. I think maybe it's the perspective on Google Street View that makes that stretch of road seem longer than it is.

also, I think the foreground of the Dallas shot is pretty distorted

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
I have to admit that I have spent a ridiculous amount of time looking for her house, but I have not found anything yet! I am currently on season 5 so I am seeing this a lot right now. I know it was just an exterior shot since the condo interiors were on the soundstage in CA, but this exterior does not scream CA to me. I have been looking in the Dallas area for some kind of townhome. Maybe someday we can find it.

This week I have been attending professional development in Dallas at a location near the intersection of Northwest Highway and the Dallas North Tollroad. As you will know from your map, this is near quite a few landmarks from the show. I have been thinking about y’all!

Sue Ellen´s townhouse appeared in a Spanish traveling documentary series on its Dallas episode: they showed the interior and was nothing like in the show. Upstairs there was a big iacuzzi I can´t imagine Swellin using at all (don´t know why, lol!). I wish I could find this documentary on line.

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Guzzler said:
...and the bend in the scene isn't the bend in the road we see today right where the entrance to JMJ Ranch is.

I disagree...I didn't show the bend in the road due to a palm tree. It looks like shot set up location was maybe at the middle of the entrance to JMJ, to pick up some of the bend in the road. We agree on the camera distorting distances, so to me the same thing applies here, making the bend look more sharp. To me, except for a new covering, the road looks pretty much the same. What do you think?

And I like the Cliff/Kessel pick above...you can see the CA mountains in the background.

Last edited:

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I disagree...I didn't show the bend in the road due to a palm tree. It looks like shot set up location was maybe at the middle of the entrance to JMJ, to pick up some of the bend in the road. We agree on the camera distorting distances, so to me the same thing applies here, making the bend look more sharp. To me, except for a new covering, the road looks pretty much the same. What do you think?

And I like the Cliff/Kessel pick above...you can see the CA mountains in the background.

Yeah, I think I underestimated how much the camera can distort things. When I was first clicking through on Google, it looked like the tree was farther away from the bend than it possibly could have been when you watch the shot in motion in the episodes, where it looks like the cars aren't traveling very far as they pass each other and the various landmarks.

The slight correction where it no longer goes around that larger tree that they removed probably makes a huge difference - and that may have been really distorted to look like much more of a diversion in the Dallas shot than it really was. The road looks pretty much completely straight in Google, where in the Dallas shot it really looks like the road noticeably curves to miss the tree.

Yep, you can see that palm grow from the 2008 and 2015 street views! Also, the smaller trees to the right of the roadway go from almost nothing in the 2008 view to pretty robust in 2015. It's really interesting to see how things change over time in these shots!

I stumbled upon this site a few years ago that shows some 'then and now' shots from a similar time period:

http://www.firstbloodfilminglocations.com

(Luther Frick makes an appearance on that site!)

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Guzzler said:
"I stumbled upon this site a few years ago that shows some 'then and now' shots from a similar time period"

I'm missing something. Should I be seeing Potrero Rd on the Rambo site? I didn't see it.

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm missing something. Should I be seeing Potrero Rd on the Rambo site? I didn't see it.

ha, no - it's just a site dedicated largely to what we're doing on this thread, tracking down filming locations from that time period. Also, Brian Dennehy (Luther Frick from Winds of Vengeance) was a major character in the movie, so there's a small Dallas tie-in.

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
ha, no - it's just a site dedicated largely to what we're doing on this thread, tracking down filming locations from that time period. Also, Brian Dennehy (Luther Frick from Winds of Vengeance) was a major character in the movie, so there's a small Dallas tie-in.
Gotcha...just my bourbon-n-branch-soaked brain...

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I want to thank you all who are participating in this thread.

I spend a lot of time in my pickup, and one of my favorite things to do is to realize once in a while:

"Here's the parking lot where J.R. and Bobby would have parked. And there are the spots they would have used."

"There's Cliff Barne's Apartment"

It is a nice part of the day.

I understand how much time you spend looking up these locations. I've been enjoying watching you, and I appreciate you.

Last edited:

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Any ideas where Pam's gym was? I didn't have any luck with "American Pie Records".

We know a number of these types of scenes were done in LA. Upon cursory inspection, my guess/feeling would be Sepulveda, as it has 3 lanes each direction PLUS parking each direction. But where?

Pams Gym St.png

Last edited:

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Any ideas where Pam's gym was? I didn't have any luck with "American Pie Records".

We know a number of these types of scenes were done in LA. Upon cursory inspection, my guess/feeling would be Sepulveda, as it has 3 lanes each direction PLUS parking each direction. But where?

View attachment 16725
The studio that Pam first went to with Jackie and Liz was located at 12932 Venice Blvd. in Los Angeles. The Studio that Bobby bought for Pam (and you pictured) was located at 12226 Venice Blvd. in Los Angeles.

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sue Ellen´s townhouse appeared in a Spanish traveling documentary series on its Dallas episode: they showed the interior and was nothing like in the show. Upstairs there was a big iacuzzi I can´t imagine Swellin using at all (don´t know why, lol!). I wish I could find this documentary on line.
That would be amazing to see!

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@Taylor Bennett Jr. posted this pic, and here is why I enjoy it when they film on location:

The fence is faded by the sun. It's in good shape, just faded. Exactly what you would see at the stockyards. You can practically hear the squeaking of the rusty gate hinges.

You can almost hear the boots scraping across the dirt, and almost smell the livestock.

Last edited: