Locations

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
The studio that Pam first went to with Jackie and Liz was located at 12932 Venice Blvd. in Los Angeles. The Studio that Bobby bought for Pam (and you pictured) was located at 12226 Venice Blvd. in Los Angeles.

What threw me is the 2-story building at 12440 Venice Blvd. Looks like it could've been around at the time. But, with the road divider change and that short wall across the street that is higher and rounded at the corner gives it away. I'm thinking it could be at 12216 Venice Blvd - Dick's Hardware (I've been reduced to counting white lines in the road). I'm thinking of the adjacent building setback, that could've held the green grass shown in the scene. Either way, it's there. Great find, again, JM10.

Pams Gym.png
 
Last edited:

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
What threw me is the 2-story building at 12440 Venice Blvd. Looks like it could've been around at the time. But, with the road divider change and that short wall across the street that is higher and rounded at the corner gives it away. I'm thinking it could be at 12216 Venice Blvd - Dick's Hardware (I've been reduced to counting white lines in the road). I'm thinking of the adjacent building setback, that could've held the green grass shown in the scene. Either way, it's there. Great find, again, JM10.

View attachment 16726

You are correct, @Bill Dilks! I typed the wrong address. It should be 12216 placing it at the current hardware store. I am sorry.

ECB51A49-D1DF-4181-8D64-8B5EE3827C7D.jpeg
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
johnmmil10 said:
You are correct, @Bill Dilks! I typed the wrong address. It should be 12216 placing it at the current hardware store. I am sorry.

My apologies...I didn't mean to sound like I was knit-picking. 12216 just seemed right. You are amazing on this stuff. I'm having a ball with this.
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Bill Dilks said:
Off topic...found it interesting that the editors mixed up cars/seasons. The car shown was JR's car in S1-2-3. S4 shows an updated green Mercedes. This pic, from s4 is from a standard cut of JR exiting Southfork in the older Mercedes...s4e10.

S5e22 VENGEANCE - Same thing...JR comes leaves the ranch in the old car again.

View attachment 16685
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
My apologies...I didn't mean to sound like I was knit-picking. 12216 just seemed right. You are amazing on this stuff. I'm having a ball with this.

No worries! I didn’t take it that way. I was glad you found it despite the typo. I just wanted to point out that you were correct in your thinking. I look forward to this thread and enjoy being able to contribute.
 

Retired Account 1

Telly Talk Active Member
Retired Member
LV
0
 
Awards
3
love the places too, thanks a lot , i'm obsessed with Knots Landing locations too

Hi...I'm back after a long hiatus.

I finally found the apartment complexes used by Julie Gray and Leanne Reese (Amber) from the first full season (called the 2nd dvd season).

First I found Leanne Reese's apt, the gal who Pam moved in before moving back to S/F. I figured this might be around LA, as some scenes were shot in Century City, like the one where Bobby drops off Kristen to look at architecture. The word Canterbury was shown, as well as a street number. So I looked it up on Google Maps. I couldn't find that number in Dallas. So I checked L/A and voila. There it was. I forget the building number in the episode, but Google has it as 5900 Canterbury, Culver City. The wall is different, but it's the place, no doubt. You can see the "5" on the wall above the steps.

View attachment 16437

Also, I've been curious about Julie's, and I think Garnett's place. I think they used the same building for Julie/Garnett. The number is 6125, shown when Jock is met by Miss Ellie w/o her horse whip. I couldn't find it in Dallas, so I had a hunch it might be down the street from Leanne's, and I was right. 6125 Canterbury, Culver City. It's used also, if I remember, for Cliff's place later on. Could be mistaken on that, but it's so familiar. UPDATE: Exterior definitely used as Cliff's apt. Can be seen around when he resigns from the OLM.

View attachment 16436

Ray's last house, with Jenna, that Carter McKay bought, shows on Google Maps as 1181 Anna Cade Rd, Rockwall, TX. Below is Rays' first house, on McCreary, behind Southfork. Someone made an addition where the umbrella table used to be in the yard. To clarify, the split roof line on the picture left running perpendicular to McCreary is the original house. The windowed portion and the 2 story garage change was the addition.

View attachment 16438

Other locations will follow.

-Bill
Capture d’écran 2019-06-15 à 10.49.09.png
 
Last edited:

Retired Account 1

Telly Talk Active Member
Retired Member
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Wentworth Tool and Die on Google Maps shows as 120 S Market St, Dallas.

The microphone-looking tower where JR shares the red file with Garr and Ames is Reunion Tower, by the Hyatt Dallas. Ate there once years ago...it was memorable.

That Hyatt lobby also was used to simulate Bobby and Pam's Vegas trip to the oil convention where they ran into Gary. I always thought that was a bit....tacky.
vlcsnap-2018-09-14-15h19m31s733.jpg vlcsnap-2018-09-14-15h19m48s923.jpg
 
Last edited:

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Here is another case of stack footage being used...

In s08e22 the show opens by panning up the exterior of a police station where Bobby and Jenna meet an investigator about the death of Veronica Robinson.

This building is a former police station located at 209 SW Oak St in Portland, Oregon!

14427BA7-78E6-41C9-BD5D-ACF41E9442F3.jpeg
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
johnmmil10 said:
This building is a former police station located at 209 SW Oak St in Portland, Oregon!

Another great find. How did you get this...what clues? Portland is....a bit out of the way. Excellent!
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Another great find. How did you get this...what clues? Portland is....a bit out of the way. Excellent!

I never guessed it would be in Oregon! It was a search for sure. Sometimes I am googling off of the assumption that in the last 40 years the purpose of the building could have changed, so I will include words like ‘former’ or ‘closed’ or ‘closing’ while searching. Sometimes I luck out by using architectural words to describe the building. I usually try an image search as well, but those are not very helpful. It is odd where the search leads sometimes!
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
I'm curious about Faraday's apt location. The sign says Dwyer Ave. There's no Dwyer Ave in Dallas or LA. The set looks like a backlot tho'. Any ideas?

Faraday Apt.png
 

Piggyrella Sanderson

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
25
I'm curious about Faraday's apt location. The sign says Dwyer Ave. There's no Dwyer Ave in Dallas or LA. The set looks like a backlot tho'. Any ideas?

View attachment 16736

Because it actually should read "Dyer" as in "Harold Dyer the druglord henchman who married Abby´s daughter on Knots Landing". Then everything fits in. Jeff and Harold were connected, the latter´s uncle Manny Vasquez sold the drugs to Jeff Farraday. It´s a small small world in SoapLand.
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Because it actually should read "Dyer" as in "Harold Dyer the druglord henchman who married Abby´s daughter on Knots Landing". Then everything fits in. Jeff and Harold were connected, the latter´s uncle Manny Vasquez sold the drugs to Jeff Farraday. It´s a small small world in SoapLand.
Yeah I wouldn't know...never saw that show.
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
I'm curious about Faraday's apt location. The sign says Dwyer Ave. There's no Dwyer Ave in Dallas or LA. The set looks like a backlot tho'. Any ideas?

View attachment 16736

That is the Culver Hotel. It looks very different now than from its appearance on Dallas. It is located at 9400 Culver Blvd in Culver City not too far from the lot.
2B8FCE8A-2472-4821-BD8E-CBFA0E0AD5FA.jpeg

F60E4331-1CF7-4540-8C13-EC44608C1800.jpeg

For me the tells were the buildings in the background. I am curious why they went to the trouble to rename the street and use a different address. I thought maybe a crew member did it to sneak their name onscreen but I didn’t see a connection.

The building shows up later in season 12. This is where I initially located it. Cliff is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana to visit Harrison Van Buren III. It was only after multiple rewatchings that in connected it to the location in season five! The furnished apartments sign is visible in each! This time you can barely make out the real street address.

E76E7909-4A2A-4503-BC4A-07A317843707.jpeg

It is blurry, but the two buildings in the background appear once more!

Fun stuf!
 
Last edited:

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Here is a mystery for you, @Bill Dilks! In the last episode of season 12, Cliff meets Harrison in a diner. There are green booths.

Since you are currently rewatching the series, you have already seen Sue Ellen and Dusty eat here as a Braddock location named Mitzi’s. You have seen Mitch and his study partner eating here as a location near SMU. Again, in season 12 you see it as a location in Louisiana when Cliff and Harrison eat here.


But where was it in real life? I assume somewhere in Culver City, but I have been unable to pinpoint it. Up for a challenge?
 

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Winner
LV
5
 
Awards
12
That is the Culver Hotel. It looks very different now than from its appearance on Dallas. It is located at 9400 Culver Blvd in Culver City not too far from the lot.
View attachment 16738

View attachment 16752

For me the tells were the buildings in the background. I am curious why they went to the trouble to rename the street and use a different address. I thought maybe a crew member did it to sneak their name onscreen but I didn’t see a connection.

The building shows up later in season 12. This is where I initially located it. Cliff is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana to visit Harrison Van Buren III. It was only after multiple rewatchings that in connected it to the location in season five! The furnished apartments sign is visible in each! This time you can barely make out the real street address.

View attachment 16743

It is blurry, but the two buildings in the background appear once more!

Fun stuf!

going on the 'filmed on a backlot' theory, 'Mark The Carpetbagger' seemed like a silly made-up business name, but... here it is in Santa Monica. They must have moved from Culver City at some point!

Sot0RrP.png


in this shot from 2012 below you can clearly see the building that Bobby's car is facing in Bill's original S5 screencap, to the right of Mark's, but it's hard to see what's become of the Mark the Carpetbagger's building, which is also prominent in the later scenes with Cliff (the blue building) - other than it now seems to have a green awning. Unfortunately Google doesn't seem to have a street view for that smaller street back there behind Culver Blvd.


0zgcdz8.png
 
Last edited:

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
This is great! Earlier today I emailed Mark the Carpetbagger in Santa Monica asking about that old location. I'll let you know if he emails back.

The area sure has changed. That area doesn't look like a backlot anymore. I'm gonna poke around on google maps at the area.

Mitzi's, huh...I'm a gamer. Gonna have to go back and see if I can stop any clues. JM10 you're the expert at that...but I'll take a shot.

Great pics, Guzzler. Thanks.
 

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Winner
LV
5
 
Awards
12
Mitzi's would be a tough one without any exterior shot. Here are some shots from Mastectomy Pt. 1 - note that Sue Ellen is initially wearing the same outfit she wears at the end of the season on the day JR was shot (and the subsequent day when she wakes up in the DFW parking lot parched with a grade-A hangover)

oMoc54Q.png
d4T1rsF.png
W6S57OM.png
Xq9VF4Z.png


I could go for a $3.99 Steak and Eggs special right about now!
 

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Winner
LV
5
 
Awards
12
later in Mastectomy Pt. 1, we see the HQ of the nascent Barnes for Congress campaign... it must be in LA, since this episode is the first of the season with the fake Southfork (following Rodeo, which was clearly in Texas)

I can't make out any address numbers, which I learned on this thread is a key way to find these! I can't quite make out the name of the mortuary down the street, which would be a good clue.

6bIXNQN.png
yR4mIq5.png


...and something I missed when I've watched this episode before: Alan has a car phone!!

mo2kfnH.png
 
Last edited:
Top