Locations

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Posted this on another thread, but thought I would post it here as well.

9F786A26-1237-493C-98E3-228435E80B38.jpeg

I think this was filmed outside of the tank farm on Ira E Woods Ave in Grapevine, Texas. I think the dome and tanks at Magellan Midstream Partners are what we are seeing when they are changing the billboard.

B9E20252-B0D9-4FF6-952E-D5C72127BD74.jpeg
 

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
4
 
Awards
9
And I'll follow you over here to say it again.

@johnmmil10 I'm always amazed at how you find these things.
You must be part Hound Dog!
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Y’all are too kind. It has always been a fun thing to do as I watch episodes. I’m so glad I’m not the only one that is interested in finding these things.

I’m watching Night Visitor (S10E17) right now and wanted to point something out. The exterior establishing shot shown prior to April’s visit with an attorney about Jack selling his portion of Ewing Oil for $1 is a building located in Dallas. It is a building in the Baylor hospital complex located at 3600 Junius!

From the episode:
3B6FE47A-216C-4C42-95CA-7D99D827533B.jpeg
From Google Maps:
77486CCC-4E31-4935-A8A4-9D2F7963FCCC.jpeg
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
The Park Lane home used for Southfork interiors has an interesting layout on first floor foyer.

First, note the 6 first floor windows in front, 3 on either side of the front door. Upon entering the large foyer, I would assume the foyer would consist of the front door plus the window to each side of the door. It would look balanced that way, and provides the space we expect to see.
4f80df54521c52688a869a1400aff749l-m0xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg


Next, note the same on S/F, ignoring the garage on the pic left side. I would expect the foyer to consist of the front behind the 4-columned structure, having the door with a window on each side, balanced by the L/R & D/R on either side, each with 2 windows. Fits the exterior layout.
8d.jpg


Makes sense, as a watcher of the show. It fits. They married the Southfork exterior to the Park Lane interior, as was required.

Well, not quite balanced that way inside. As I was examining this on the Park Lane property, I found that balanced look as presented on the outside is deceiving from the inside.


First, the living room side.

Note that to the LR side of the front door, there is no window in the foyer.
4f80df54521c52688a869a1400aff749l-m4xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg


So, inside, we can assume the LR has 3 windows. 1 is shown, 2 is implied by the light this side of the cabinet and...
4f80df54521c52688a869a1400aff749l-m7xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg


...3 toward the end of the room. I say it's implied due to the light reflected on the floor under the piano. This is the Park Lane L/R.
And note the side window behind where the bar would be. Park Lane house has the very large window on the end of the L/R. The Hogge Rd L/R looks to have a smaller side window nearer the front of the house. Not something us as casual watchers would likely pick up (unless you are jm10!:cool1)
4f80df54521c52688a869a1400aff749l-m6xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg



Next, the dining room side.

Note this side of the foyer has a window. You see the curtains and the (assumed) vent on the floor. To the right of the picture taker you see the frame of the front door.
Then on the right just into the dining room you see the sun coming in the second window from the front door.
4f80df54521c52688a869a1400aff749l-m3xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg


Directly to the right of the picture taker is that second window. Here is the third D/R window, which you see to the right of the light sconce on the wall.
4f80df54521c52688a869a1400aff749l-m5xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg


And note, the Hogge Rd house does not have the bay window off the dining room.
upload_2020-2-1_13-47-23.png


So, based on the Park Lane residence, the result is, left to right excluding the garage,

3 windows - living room
1 front door
1 window - foyer
2 windows - dining room.
upload_2020-2-1_12-1-44.png

Yep, time to kill this morning.
 
Last edited:

Bill B.

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
There were actually 2 homes used for the interior filming of episodes 1-7 of season 2.[4800 Park Lane home & 5020 Swiss Avenue home].Starting with episode 8 of season 2 the Southfork interiors were filmed on a sound stage in Culver City,CA. at the MGM studios.The home at 5020 Swiss was used for the Family room/Study where you see the large picture of Jock Ewing hanging over the fireplace.This was the ONLY room used in the 5020 home.All other Southfork home interiors for season 2/episodes 1-7 were shot at the Park Lane home...………..The first 5 pilot episodes [mini-series/season-1] had Southfork interiors filmed at yet another home on Swiss avenue.That home is at 5500 Swiss.....JR and Sue Ellen's bedroom in those 5 episodes was actually filmed inside one of the small houses behind the home in Frisco Texas.[that small house is still on the Brinkmann property [formally the Cloyce Box property] in Frisco though the main house which is seen in the 5 episodes burned years ago.]
 
Last edited:

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
There were actually 2 homes used for the interior filming of episodes 1-7 of season 2.[4800 Park Lane home & 5020 Swiss Avenue home].Starting with episode 8 of season 2 the Southfork interiors were filmed on a sound stage in Culver City,CA. at the MGM studios.The home at 5020 Swiss was used for the Family room/Study where you see the large picture of Jock Ewing hanging over the fireplace.This was the ONLY room used in the 5020 home.All other Southfork home interiors for season 2/episodes 1-7 were shot at the Park Lane home...………..The first 5 pilot episodes [mini-series/season-1] had Southfork interiors filmed at yet another home on Swiss avenue.That home is at 5500 Swiss.....JR and Sue Ellen's bedroom in those 5 episodes was actually filmed inside one of the small houses behind the home in Frisco Texas.[that small house is still on the Brinkmann property [formally the Cloyce Box property] in Frisco though the main house which is seen in the 5 episodes burned years ago.]

Good info Bill...thanks.

I didn't know about the 5020 house and that all den scenes were shot at this other location. Great to know! The 4800 den looks so close. I have to look in more detail now at the episodes.

I didn't know specifically when the home interior sets were built. Also, wasn't 5500 Swiss some type philanthropic endeavor for a while before becoming involved with the medical society? I seen to recall something about this way back.

2 current den shots from 4800 Park Lane. Perhaps not used as it may not have a door for patio access, like the 5020 house has.
4f80df54521c52688a869a1400aff749l-m8xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg


4f80df54521c52688a869a1400aff749l-m9xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg


2 den shots from S2E02, at 5020 Swiss Avn. The slider implies access to the outside patio, to me from the breakfast area if I try to relate it to the Hogge Rd rear patio breakfast table.
upload_2020-2-1_17-18-0.png

upload_2020-2-1_17-19-21.png

And ELECTION, s02e08, this den was at the Culver studio.
upload_2020-2-1_18-23-36.png
 
Last edited:

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
In Rock Bottom (S09E02) Pam drives around until she almost crashes. Dallas Fanzine recently posted this clip to Facebook and a commenter said this was filmed near Dallas Baptist University on Mountain Creek Parkway. I don’t have the correct angles or exact section of road driven, but behind the excavator you can see several smokestacks. These are from the Eagle Mountain Station.

11A4C6AE-94CA-44B2-A7D9-503AB5602D49.jpeg

3BFF71B6-7C03-478D-BE7C-155FC668D504.jpeg
 

Bill B.

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Good info Bill...thanks.

I didn't know about the 5020 house and that all den scenes were shot at this other location. Great to know! The 4800 den looks so close. I have to look in more detail now at the episodes.

I didn't know specifically when the home interior sets were built. Also, wasn't 5500 Swiss some type philanthropic endeavor for a while before becoming involved with the medical society? I seen to recall something about this way back.

2 current den shots from 4800 Park Lane. Perhaps not used as it may not have a door for patio access, like the 5020 house has.
4f80df54521c52688a869a1400aff749l-m8xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg


4f80df54521c52688a869a1400aff749l-m9xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg


2 den shots from S2E02, at 5020 Swiss Avn. The slider implies access to the outside patio, to me from the breakfast area if I try to relate it to the Hogge Rd rear patio breakfast table.
View attachment 19940

View attachment 19941

And ELECTION, s02e08, this den was at the Culver studio.
View attachment 19942
The reason the study was used at 5020 Swiss was the sliding door entrance/exit in back of the home and the multiple entrances/exits to the room on the inside.The camera could be set up outside of the sliding door looking into the room to film.The Park Lane home had no study that looked like this at the time of filming there in 1978.....Note-In my previous post I meant to say that the Ewing family portrait was over the fireplace in this room.I had posted that it was a picture of Jock Ewing there,I was wrong!
 
Last edited:

Bill B.

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Good info Bill...thanks.

I didn't know about the 5020 house and that all den scenes were shot at this other location. Great to know! The 4800 den looks so close. I have to look in more detail now at the episodes.

I didn't know specifically when the home interior sets were built. Also, wasn't 5500 Swiss some type philanthropic endeavor for a while before becoming involved with the medical society? I seen to recall something about this way back.

2 current den shots from 4800 Park Lane. Perhaps not used as it may not have a door for patio access, like the 5020 house has.
4f80df54521c52688a869a1400aff749l-m8xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg


4f80df54521c52688a869a1400aff749l-m9xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg


2 den shots from S2E02, at 5020 Swiss Avn. The slider implies access to the outside patio, to me from the breakfast area if I try to relate it to the Hogge Rd rear patio breakfast table.
View attachment 19940

View attachment 19941

And ELECTION, s02e08, this den was at the Culver studio.
View attachment 19942
The scene you posted here shows how the filming was done.Look on the bottom right corner of this scene in viewing this episode.[you can't really see it in your image here.].You can see the exterior brick work of the home at 5020 Swiss.The camera was set up outside [backyard of home] looking into the study upload_2020-2-1_17-19-21.png
 
Last edited:

Bill B.

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Good info Bill...thanks.

I didn't know about the 5020 house and that all den scenes were shot at this other location. Great to know! The 4800 den looks so close. I have to look in more detail now at the episodes.

I didn't know specifically when the home interior sets were built. Also, wasn't 5500 Swiss some type philanthropic endeavor for a while before becoming involved with the medical society? I seen to recall something about this way back.

2 current den shots from 4800 Park Lane. Perhaps not used as it may not have a door for patio access, like the 5020 house has.
4f80df54521c52688a869a1400aff749l-m8xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg


4f80df54521c52688a869a1400aff749l-m9xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg


2 den shots from S2E02, at 5020 Swiss Avn. The slider implies access to the outside patio, to me from the breakfast area if I try to relate it to the Hogge Rd rear patio breakfast table.
View attachment 19940

View attachment 19941

And ELECTION, s02e08, this den was at the Culver studio.
View attachment 19942
Lastly,yes the home at 5500 Swiss was owned by the Dallas Medical Society or something close to that title.All Southfork interior scenes other than JR and Sue-Ellen's bedroom were filmed inside 5500 Swiss in early 1978 for the 5 part mini-series [season-1].The JR/Sue-Ellen bedroom scenes were filmed in back of the main house at the Cloyce Box ranch in Frisco.[that small house is still there though the main house burned years ago!]….Season 2/episodes 1-7 Southfork home interiors were filmed inside the home at Park Lane [Calder house] and of coarse at the home at 5020 Swiss avenue.[the study/den scenes]….All of this info probably seems a bit confusing but I guarantee you it's all correct! I had spent 6 months last year researching this extensively.My FB page has all of these details and more.....
 
Last edited:

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Lastly,yes the home at 5500 Swiss was owned by the Dallas Medical Society or something close to that title.All Southfork interior scenes other than JR and Sue-Ellen's bedroom were filmed inside 5500 Swiss in early 1978 for the 5 part mini-series [season-1].The JR/Sue-Ellen bedroom scenes were filmed in back of the main house at the Cloyce Box ranch in Frisco.[that small house is still there though the main house burned years ago!]….Season 2/episodes 1-7 Southfork home interiors were filmed inside the home at Park Lane [Calder house] and of coarse at the home at 5020 Swiss avenue.[the study/den scenes]….All of this info probably seems a bit confusing but I guarantee you it's all correct! I had spent 6 months last year researching this extensively.My FB page has all of these details and more.....

Excellent! Thanks so much, Bill. Nice...it's been a while since I checked your FB page. I wasn't thinking about the 2003 do-over on 4800, as that den now looks similar to the old 5020 with the dark woods. It could've been entirely different then. My mind still plays tricks on me with this show.

Just saw one of your previous posts I forgot about...that from ELECTION (s02e08) forward, Culver City sound stage was used.

About JR/Swellen bedroom scenes. So they were done in one of the small houses as Swellen was saying "...we don't make love any mowah". I had had a brief thought years ago that might be the case...was just a hunch tho'.

I understand your veracity; and appreciate you sharing your info here. Gonna head over to FB.
 
Last edited:

Bill B.

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Excellent! Thanks so much, Bill. Nice...it's been a while since I checked your FB page. I wasn't thinking about the 2003 do-over on 4800, as that den now looks similar to the old 5020 with the dark woods. It could've been entirely different then. My mind still plays tricks on me with this show.

Just saw one of your previous posts I forgot about...that from ELECTION (s02e08) forward, Culver City sound stage was used.

About JR/Swellen bedroom scenes. So they were done in one of the small houses as Swellen was saying "...we don't make love any mowah". I had had a brief thought years ago that might be the case...was just a hunch tho'.

I understand your veracity; and appreciate you sharing your info here. Gonna head over to FB.
Yes,the scenes of JR and Sue-Ellen you mentioned were filmed inside the little house on the now Brinkmann ranch in Frisco.It's really great that the small house is still there!....I knew the scenes had to be filmed there after much research.I contacted one of the sons of Mr. Box last year and he confirmed my hunch!
 

Bill B.

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Excellent! Thanks so much, Bill. Nice...it's been a while since I checked your FB page. I wasn't thinking about the 2003 do-over on 4800, as that den now looks similar to the old 5020 with the dark woods. It could've been entirely different then. My mind still plays tricks on me with this show.

Just saw one of your previous posts I forgot about...that from ELECTION (s02e08) forward, Culver City sound stage was used.

About JR/Swellen bedroom scenes. So they were done in one of the small houses as Swellen was saying "...we don't make love any mowah". I had had a brief thought years ago that might be the case...was just a hunch tho'.

I understand your veracity; and appreciate you sharing your info here. Gonna head over to FB.
One other thing I wanted to mention.....Notice the red carpet in the scenes you posted of Bobby and his brother in the den.[this was 5020 Swiss!]….Look at the scene of the den in the "Election" episode.[no red carpet...it's the soundstage!]...John and I found a picture of a bedroom inside the 5020 Swiss home last year.It has the same red carpet seen in the episode scene with Bobby and his brother!
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
In Rock Bottom (S09E02) Pam drives around until she almost crashes. Dallas Fanzine recently posted this clip to Facebook and a commenter said this was filmed near Dallas Baptist University on Mountain Creek Parkway. I don’t have the correct angles or exact section of road driven, but behind the excavator you can see several smokestacks. These are from the Eagle Mountain Station.

View attachment 19944

View attachment 19945

No doubt, jm10. Looks like she's coming down a hill as the road curves to the left.

Here's a google maps shot from the opposite direction, showing a hill where it was likely shot, which I'm sure you're checking. The terrain beyond the hill wouldn't, according to google, be high enough see over it. I used the two smoke stacks closer together as a reference, as marked in red below.
upload_2020-2-2_12-14-12.png

Below, on the hill, when I zoom in I can't tell whether or not they're paved.
upload_2020-2-2_12-17-7.png
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood for the second time and I noticed a very familiar building!

5D4F20F9-A231-4EDE-8A7B-22CCF75E02E0.jpeg

Sharon Tate stops to pick up a hitchhiker and of course I am drawn to the building in the background with the palm tree in from of it. That building located at 10390 Wilshire Boulevard was the exterior building used as the Fairview where Pam stayed and later as April’s condo.
 
Last edited:

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
MT1967 - Yep...no doubt about the house. This is excellent! I had no idea. Thanks so much for posting.
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Sue Ellen and Don doing casting for their movie in Malibu. 99% sure this was filmed at Larry Hagman's real home. I remember seeing an article a while back about Sting now owning the house and renting it out and then rewatching the episode the house came back into my mind.

https://variety.com/2017/dirt/real-estalker/stings-malibu-house-for-rent-trudie-styler-1202009452/

wrD8pF3.png


nX8wTO6.png


8Sfjbl8.png


BCiC4r9.jpg


HWqBjSw.png

You are correct! I have always wondered how this was agreed upon? Do you think he got paid a fee for letting the filming take place there?
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
You are correct! I have always wondered how this was agreed upon? Do you think he got paid a fee for letting the filming take place there?
No doubt! For me, the question is did Lorimar pay the full location fee, or did he give 'em a break? I'm sure the location crew cleans up well. But there is still wear and tear, and I don't see Hagman giving anything away. I remember Hagman's advice to Carroll O'Conner: "Never ask for a penny more than your worth".
 

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
6
No doubt! For me, the question is did Lorimar pay the full location fee, or did he give 'em a break? I'm sure the location crew cleans up well. But there is still wear and tear, and I don't see Hagman giving anything away. I remember Hagman's advice to Carroll O'Conner: "Never ask for a penny more than your worth".

Larry was an executive producer at that time. I don't know much about the industry but does that mean he was part financing the show?
 
Top