Random TV Ratings

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
21
There are usually two numbers cited in ratings.

An example: The Daniel Avery Show 22.5/40

From what I understand, the first number is the "rating," or estimated number of people watching. If one rating point equals 1 million viewers, they estimated 22.5 million people watched The Daniel Avery Show. The number equated with one rating point has gone up and down over the years (typically between 700k and 1.1 million) but I'll call it 1 million just to make the math easy.

The second number, not always cited but also important for analysis is the "share" of the available audience. In this example, out of all the households who could have been or were watching television, the share of TV's tuned to TDAS was 40 (implying the other 60% were pathetic losers watching something else).

Ratings and share numbers kept going down as options for viewing increased, as more channels kept drawing potential viewers away from the traditional networks. In 1963, TDAS would have been #16 for the week, but in 2024 it would not only be #1, it would be several million viewers ahead of the #2 show.

TDAS --- so ahead of its time!
 

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
21
Look how many movies got better ratings than the weekly TV shows.

Back then, it was the only place you could see the movies -- if you hadn't caught them in the theatre.

GOMER PYLE's ratings always mystified me. Even as a child, it was too irritating to sit through (and still is). Of course, at the time, I missed the erotic chemistry between Gomer & His Sergeant.

Gomer-297x300.jpg
 

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV
9
 
Awards
24
Look how many movies got better ratings than the weekly TV shows.
Look how confusing it was for them to report two weeks of ratings in one listing. ;)

It was also the only place you could see older movies considered "classics," since theaters focused almost exclusively on new releases and there was no "media" market like tapes or DVDs. The networks were mostly broadcasting "recent" films (several years after their theater debut) but would occasionally show an older, major classic like when CBS would show Gone With the Wind every year or so (split up over two nights). ABC would air The Ten Commandments on Easter. Can't recall who (CBS?) would air The Wizard of Oz. I saw The Towering Inferno on TV rather than in a theater, and I'd love to see it on a big screen someday.

Obviously the real treasure trove of old movies was in syndication and aired late at night on all the channels in various formats, but they were never measured for ratings.
 

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
21

It was always so weird how huge THE COSBY SHOW's rating were -- becoming the Number 1 show for five years --- its seasonal numbers were as high as DALLAS' were at its peak.

I lost interest in COSBY after one season. But its popularity, what the show was and what it wasn't, fit nicely into that mid-'80s zeitgeist.

Today, it's just another one of those '80s entities that's hard to sit through.
 

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
21
I saw RHODA at #1 and was immediately baffled, like, "Geez. I didn't expect her show to be that popular!" But then I remembered her wedding episode that shot the ratings through the roof.

RHODA was higher rated in its first two seasons than its parent series, but that didn't last too long -- RHODA just had no central identity.

The above listing for October 1966 contains the very first airing of THE GREAT PUMPKIN at Number One (the previous December 1965, A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS was Number 2).

I was surprised GUNSMOKE was still in the weekly Top 10/15 at this point (the infamous Bette Davis episode aired 1 October 1966, prior to this list); because GUNSMOKE dropped to 35th place by the spring of 1967 and was cancelled (again, but that didn't last long -- again). They moved the western from Saturdays to Monday nights by fall of 1967, and it rebounded into the Top 10 again. (35th place was high enough to keep most series on the air, but I guess the CBS board figured that GUNSMOKE, Number One for years and almost always in the Top 10, must be slipping after a dozen years on the air; William Paley reversed the board's decision, but cancelled GILLIGAN'S ISLAND to make way for GUNSMOKE on Mondays).

AA1rUJat.img
 
Last edited:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
5
 
Awards
11
RHODA was higher rated in its first two seasons than its parent series, but that didn't last too long -- RHODA just had no central identity
I'm always a little baffled that MARY TYLER MOORE wasn't higher-rated than it was. And for one season, both RHODA and PHYLLIS bested it in the ratings.


but cancelled GILLIGAN'S ISLAND to make way for GUNSMOKE on Mondays
As much as I like GUNSMOKE and knowing it lasted two solid decades on primetime TV, I wish GILLIGAN'S ISLAND had stuck around for just one more year. Maybe then we could've gotten a farewell episode with Tina Louise still hanging around as Ginger.
 

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
21
I'm always a little baffled that MARY TYLER MOORE wasn't higher-rated than it was. And for one season, both RHODA and PHYLLIS bested it in the ratings.

I think the highest seasonal rating MARY got was 7th place for its third (1972-73) year. RHODA and PHYLLIS got a head start by being spin-offs.

the only time MARY ranked Number 1 for the week was its final episode in 1977.

As much as I like GUNSMOKE and knowing it lasted two solid decades on primetime TV, I wish GILLIGAN'S ISLAND had stuck around for just one more year. Maybe then we could've gotten a farewell episode with Tina Louise still hanging around as Ginger.

I kind of agree with that. GILLIGAN was a Top 10 show and, formulaic as it was, it seemed to warrant another year.
 
Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV
9
 
Awards
24
Okay, I need one of the numerous Dallas experts we keep on retainer here to explain what was going on during that Nov. 3-9 week. I assume this was the Big Reveal of Who Shot What's-his-name, but four episodes in one week?:dance:
 
Top