• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

What was the last film you watched?

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Maleficent
I love how they turned the Sleeping Beauty saga around as there are almost always two sides to every story. She might have turned evil, but you understand why and even support her revenge against the new king in this version.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

I'm more Trek than Wars but I did see the original trilogy when it came out and I'm enjoying this long-delayed wrap-up.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Joker (2019)

An outstanding film. Easily the best film based on a character from a comic book. At times it reminded me of Martin Scorsese's The King of Comedy but with more menace and danger.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

My Christmas tradition.

This is one of those film that you can keep watching and discovering new things. Take Kris's cane, for example. Sawyer and Pierce argue about whether he would use it as a weapon but we have already seen him threaten Drunk Santa with it in the opening scenes, and he will hit Sawyer with it just as he fears. It might be a single, measured blow but it's still resorting to physical violence, so Sawyer is right about that.

In fact, that's what makes the film so intriguing. No one, "hero" and "villain" included, is wholly right or wholly wrong. Everyone is acting independently for what they see as the best and the result is something planned by no one.

That's what all the remakes get wrong. They're all rewritten so that someone gets the idea and orchestrates the outcome, so that there's actually no miracle at all.

There is one nice little addition in the 1973 telemovie that I like, though - when Tom Bosley, as the judge, emerges from the mound of envelopes and surreptitiously slips his own grandchildren's letters into the pile.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards

My Christmas tradition.
I have a similar Christmas tradition but different in that I alternate between rewatching Miracle on 34th Street and It's A Wonderful Life each year and for additional variety, I alternate between the original black and white release of those films and newer colourised versions.

However, this year I've decided to change that tradition and add a third film to my Christmas viewing rota and tomorrow I'll be watching the 1951 version of Scrooge, starring Alastair Sim, starting with the black and white version and will watch the colourised one in 3 years time. (I have a copy of both versions of all 3 films).

I agree with your comments about Miracle on 34th Street. One of the great things about the film is that it never establishes whether or not the man who called himself Kris Kringle was in fact the real Santa Claus or just thought he was because what was important was that people believed he was Santa.

I would add that in some ways it can be viewed as a metaphor for the Christian faith in that we can't prove that Jesus is the son of God but for Christians it's important to believe he is. Christmas is about belief in sonething as much (if not more) as it's about the facts.

Last edited:

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

My Christmas tradition.

This is one of those film that you can keep watching and discovering new things. Take Kris's cane, for example. Sawyer and Pierce argue about whether he would use it as a weapon but we have already seen him threaten Drunk Santa with it in the opening scenes, and he will hit Sawyer with it just as he fears. It might be a single, measured blow but it's still resorting to physical violence, so Sawyer is right about that.

In fact, that's what makes the film so intriguing. No one, "hero" and "villain" included, is wholly right or wholly wrong. Everyone is acting independently for what they see as the best and the result is something planned by no one.

That's what all the remakes get wrong. They're all rewritten so that someone gets the idea and orchestrates the outcome, so that there's actually no miracle at all.

There is one nice little addition in the 1973 telemovie that I like, though - when Tom Bosley, as the judge, emerges from the mound of envelopes and surreptitiously slips his own grandchildren's letters into the pile.

I love:love2: A Miracle on 34th St(1947)!
It's a movie that makes me happy. The actors are all perfect. We even get Fred Mertz!

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

My Christmas tradition.

It's a movie that makes me happy. The actors are all perfect. We even get Fred Mertz!

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

My Christmas tradition.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just saw Terence Malick's new film A Hidden Life. It was a masterpiece, imho. Inspiring and humbling. Makes me think, "What would I have done in that situation?" Sadly, I'm not fit to hold Franz Jagerstatter's coat.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Excellent. Stellar performances from the two leads and also a great supporting cast including Laura Dern, Ray Liotta, Alan Alda and even Elaine from 'Airplane'! Highly recommend it. (Netflix)

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Pretty and pompous, but not very surprising.
Recommended to those who like the kitsch classics such as Frankenstein and The House Of Wax.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

A first for me. I was expecting it to be rather terrible, but I enjoyed it very much.

British. 1970s. Farcical. And with a starry cast of familiar faces. It's near enough what I imagine the Carry Ons might have become had Norman Hudis continued to write them into the Seventies.

What more could one ask?

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

Please Sir!

Another first for me, and very welcome to help round off my viewing of the series and its spinoffs.​