Shot Through the Heart

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.

The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of season"Dallas."

***

Shot Through the Heart

Part Forty-seven:

***.

"Do you both understand why I'm advising Mrs. Sheppard to take a deal?"

"Yes."

JR was talking to Kiefer, but his eyes never left Sue Ellen's face. Her whole body was stiff and tense and stiff and she looked like she might burst into tears at any moment.

"Honey?" He finally said softly.

"She won't survive prison," Sue Ellen said miserably.

"How long until you get that tape back from your experts?" JR asked the lawyer.

"Couple of days," Kiefer answered. "But don't get your hopes up. I have every reason to believe that tape is authentic."

"I want to see her," Sue Ellen said suddenly.

"She'd like that," Kiefer told her. "I think it would really lift her spirits."

"You sure, honey?"

Sue Ellen looked up at JR and smiled sadly. "Yes. I'm sure."

"Alright. I'll take you after my meeting with Daddy this afternoon."

"I'll get you on the visitor's list," Kiefer said, standing up. "I suppose you'll warn Mr. Barnes' sister about his perjury problem?"

"We will," JR nodded, walking the other man to the door. "We'll see you this afternoon."

"What time is Pam going to be here?" JR asked his wife once they were alone.

"Around 10:00. She and Lucy are going to help me interview nannies then we're going out to lunch."

"I don't like you being here alone until they get here. Maybe I should stay."

"Don't be silly, JR," she laughed. "My head is fine. Besides, you'll be in your office. Still in the building."

"Yes, but anything could happen…"

"You," she stood up, walked to him, and wrapped her arms around his waist, "have work to do. You need to get ready for your meeting at Ewing Oil. I'm not a child, JR. I'll be fine for a couple of hours."

JR bent his head to place a soft kiss on her lips. "You can't be mad at me for worrying about the woman I love."

"I'm not mad, JR. But I swear I'm fine."

"Alright, honey," he let her go and walked over to the playpen where John Ross was playing happily. "How many women are you interviewing today?"

"Three. And all of them are over sixty."

JR burst out laughing and shook his head. "Whatever you want, honey."

"It's not that I don't trust you, JR. But after Miranda, I'm not taking any more chances."

JR didn't argue. The thing with Miranda could have been so disastrous to their new happiness. She was smart to remove all temptation for both him and any other young, sexually aggressive woman…"

JR frowned when something Pam had said to him the night before crossed his mind. She seemed fixated on why Miranda would risk such a good paying job for a man she'd hardly even laid eyes on. He'd brushed off Pam's suspicions, but they were suddenly gnawing at him. Yes. He was rich and powerful...but…

"I would have let you, but I'm glad you didn't."

JR's frowned deepened when he remembered Miranda's words as she left the condo.

If she was relieved he hadn't made love to her, why all the effort to seduce him?

"JR? What are you thinking about?"

JR shook away his troubling thoughts and forced himself to smile at his wife. "Not a thing. Just dreading meeting with Daddy."

"It will be alright."

"Yes. It will," he smiled at her. "And so will we."

***

"You have plans for today?"

Lucy set down her glass of orange juice and smiled at her father. "Yes. Girl stuff with Pam and Sue Ellen. You?"

"Yes. Taking Mama out for the day. I want to get her away from this house and get her mind on something besides drama."

"That's a good idea," Lucy told him.

"Lucy, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, Dad."

"Why JR?"

"What?"

"You wouldn't talk to anyone. Not me. Not your grandmother. Not even your mother. So, why JR?"

Lucy sank low into her chair and sighed deeply. "I know it must seem weird to you. Things changed between me and JR when Sue Ellen got arrested. He… he was devastated. He really believed she shot him, deep down anyway. But he didn't care. He knew it was his fault and he took responsibility for it. He asked me for my help. And he... "

"He what?"

"I don't know, Daddy. He's changed. He treats Bobby with respect. Almost as an equal. And he's even nice to Pam. And when Grandpa threw me off Southfork, he took care of me and protected me. He even reached out to you because he knew it would make me happy. Like I said, he's changed."

"I have a hard time taking this new JR at face value," Gary grumbled. "And none of that explains why you talked to him and not me."

"JR and I...well, let's just say the two of us both have a history with Ray that isn't easy to deal with. He was the only one who could really understand how I was feeling."

"What history?"

"It doesn't matter now," Lucy told him. "Look, I know you and JR will never be close. And I know you don't trust him. I get it. But I love him and I need you to accept that. Okay?"

"Okay, Lucy," Gary gave in. "Just remember I love you and that's why I worry."

"I know that, Daddy. I love you too."

***

The doorman shut the taxi door and walked back into the building. He picked up the phone at the front desk, dialed the number, and waited.

"Hello? It's Jason. The doorman at your son's building. Just wanted you to know he was out of his condo and in the one he's using as an office. Yeah. She's alone with the kid. I checked. Yeah. Okay. I'll bring you in through the service entrance so no one sees you. Okay. See you soon." He put the phone down, glanced at his watch, and imagined all the things he was going to do with the cash windfall that had been dumped in his lap.

Across town, Jock put down the phone and grinned. It was time to go see his daughter-in-law and put her in her place - once and for all.

***

"That it?"

"No," JR growled. "We need to pick a primary bank."

"JR, don't you think we could be jumping the gun here? Daddy may very well accept our counter offer."

"No he won't, Bobby," JR snapped. "There's no way he'll accept our terms and I won't compromise. We need to get our ducks in a row here. I have a feeling that by this afternoon, we'll be done with Ewing Oil for good."

"Alright, JR," Bobby reluctantly agreed.

"Did you talk to Pam about Barnes?"

"Not yet," Bobby admitted. "She's going to be very upset and I don't want to deal with it until after our meeting with Daddy."

"Perjury won't send him to jail," JR said. "Especially not with all the health problems he has."

"I hope you're right. Because if he does go to jail, I'm afraid…"

"What?"

"Cliff only lied because Sue Ellen asked him to."

"To keep her mother out of jail."

"I know, JR. But still…"

"Yeah. Could be trouble."

"Not between us, okay? Let's let our wives deal with it and just stay the hell out of it."

"You know we can't," JR grumbled. "Our wives won't let us."

Bobby nodded his understanding but said nothing.

"One thing at a time, Bob. Let's get Daddy sorted out, then we'll deal with our wives."

"Alright, JR. But I have a bad feeling about this."

"So do I, Bobby," JR growled. "So do I."

***

Sue Ellen buried her face in her hands and sobbed softly

Jock Ewing was a monster.

He's shown up out of the blue and pushed his way into the condo. He'd sat down and ordered her to bring her a cup of coffee like he owned the place.

He said he had a deal for her.

And what a horrible deal it was.

He told her upfront that he wanted a blood test for the baby. He didn't believe JR was the father. He'd called her a slut and reminded her that JR had confessed to the entire world that he had a low sperm count.

He said if she could prove JR was the father, he'd accept her as JR's wife and leave them alone. He'd even promised to turn Ewing Oil over to JR lock, stock, and barrel.

But there was another catch.

He wanted Sue Ellen to agree to allow Kristen to give her baby to strangers. Jock had said that he would be willing to accept Sue Ellen because of the children, but that Pam had to go. She was a Barnes. Pure trash. And he wasn't going to allow her to tarnish the Ewing name any further. He would never accept Cliff Barnes' bastard being raised at Southfork. He even promised Sue Ellen that if she did what he asked, he'd use his influence to keep Patricia out of jail.

Sue Ellen shivered as she remembered what Jock had said to her on his way out the door.

"You and JR are living in a little fantasy world right now. He's mad at me and loving up to you. That won't last and you know it. If you want to keep your husband and your position as a Ewing, you'll do as I say. Get that blood test and get my son back to Southfork. He'll get my company. You know damn well that's all he really cares about. You make that happen for him, and maybe he'll be grateful enough to stay faithful. For a while anyway. You cross me? I'll do everything I can to make sure you get thrown out of Southfork on your sluttly behind along with your trashy sister-in-law. You hear me? JR won't choose you over me. Not when it comes right down to it. And you're smart enough to know it."

Sue Ellen sobbed even harder and let out a low, tortured moan.

Jock was right about JR.

And he was right about her too...she WAS smart enough to know it.

***
 

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Sue Ellen might have worries about JR's commitment to their relationship over work but that isn't for Jock to stick his nose into now.
At the very least Sue Ellen can be certain the baby is JR's. She wasn't pregnant at the time of the shooting and is now, it has to be JR's baby.
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Jock IS a monster, and JR needs to know it.
He better pick his wife after everything they've been through. And get her and their babies as far away from him and Southfork as possible.

The iron is not gonna be enough. Now I'm REALLY angry.
 

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.

The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of season"Dallas."

***

Shot Through the Heart

Part Forty-eight:

***.

"I liked Mrs. Andrews the best," Lucy said, taking a sip of her tea. "She had a great sense of humor."

"She certainly seemed to be very easy going," Pam agreed. "What do you think, Sue Ellen?"

"Sue Ellen?" Pam repeated the other woman's name when she didn't answer.

"What?" Sue Ellen snapped out of her daze. "I'm sorry. I guess I'm a bit distracted."

"Understandable. We all have a lot on our mind," Pam sighed.

"You and JR made up though, right?" Lucy asked her.

"Yes," Sue Ellen smiled sadly. "We did, it's just that it's hard not to worry about what's going to happen with Ewing Oil hanging in the balance."

"I wouldn't worry about that," Pam told her. "Bobby says JR has made up his mind to walk away."

"Minds can change," Sue Ellen sighed.

"I don't think you have to worry about JR anymore," Lucy said. "He's so different. He went so far out is his way to help me get over this thing with Ray. It was actually sweet."

Sue Ellen almost choked on her drink and cast a nervous glance at Pam.

"It's okay," Lucy laughed, "Pam knows. I told her about me and Ray a long time ago.

"Oh! Oh!" Pam's eyes grew wide. "Oh Lucy! No wonder you've been so upset! It didn't even think about that. So much drama has been happening…"

"It's okay,* Lucy assured her. "I know all of us are being out through the ringer."

"Yes, we have," Sue Ellen's voice was soft and sad. "And it's not over. Pam, I have to tell you something. It's about Cliff. JR and I talked to my mother's lawyer this morning. The DA knows."

"Knows what?" Pam asked.

"That Cliff lied about the shooting," Sue Ellen couldn't meet Pam's eyes. "He's threatening to charge Cliff with perjury."

***

Jock grunted and handed the papers to his lawyers.

JR and Bobby had presented their father with a counter proposal for handling Ewing Oil. Gary, Ray, and Miss Ellie would each receive 10 percent stakes in Ewing Oil's profits, but their shares would be non-voting. Jock would retain the power to veto Bobby and JR's decisions only regarding a very few, well defined set of circumstances. If Bobby and JR had an unresolvable conflict, Jock would make the final decision. No assets could be sold without Jock's approval. The company could not be broken up, sold, and Bobby and JR couldn't distribute their shares to anyone else unless Jock approved.

"I'll think about it," Jock finally said.

"You will?" Bobby was shocked. He had expected Jock to reject the proposal outright.

"Yeah," Jock nodded. "Your Mama and I are going away for a couple of weeks. I'll give you my answer when I get back."

"Two weeks is a long time in the Oil Business," JR told him.

"You boys can run things while I'm gone."

"No," JR shot back. "I'm not running your company only to have it snatched away from me when you get back."

"Let Bobby run it then," Jock shrugged. "You can keep working on your own deals for your new company."

"I don't…"

"Wait, JR," Bobby interrupted his brother. "It's a reasonable request."

JR shifted in his chair and narrowed his eyes. "Fine. Two weeks. Not one day more."

"Good," Jock grinned. "Harv, Bobby, I need the two of you to step out. I want to talk to JR alone."

JR eyed his father suspiciously as the other two men left the room. "Well?" He snapped once they were alone.

"I hear Sue Ellen is going to have another baby."

"So?"

"So?" Jock repeated, his tone mocking. "You sure it's yours? I mean, between your sperm problem and your wife's habit of sleeping around, kinda hard to believe you're the daddy."

JR took a deep breath and counted down silently from ten. He wanted to punch his father in the mouth, but he wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of seeing such a loss of control.

"My wife," JR's tone was low and even, "is having MY child. And you? I won't let you near her or my family. You've done enough damage."

"Now, JR, you really can't blame me for wondering. I'm just pointing out the obvious."

"The only thing that's obvious is how toxic you are to me and the people I love," JR stood up, put his hat on, and moved toward the door. "Two weeks," he snarled and left the office, slamming the door so hard on his way out that the windows rattled.

Jock chuckled and shook his head. JR was pissed at him now, but he'd calm down. Jock had planted the seed of doubt in JR's mind and he knew that seed would grow and fester.

By the time Jock and Ellie returned from their trip, JR and Sue Ellen's marriage would be on life support again, and Jock intended to happily pull the plug.

***

"Just like that?" Clayton asked doubtfully.

"Sure," Kristen shrugged. "It's not like I have a choice, right? I need my lawyer."

"And you'll stay away from my son?" Clayton pressed.

"Yes. I won't talk to or see him."

Clayton looked over at Scotty Demerest and shrugged. "I guess we're done here then."

"You can see yourselves out," Kristen told them, not bothering to get up.

Once they were gone, an evil smile broke across her face. She didn't lie exactly. She WOULD stay away from Dusty Farlow. After all, she didn't need him anymore.

She had Jock Ewing in her corner now. And he was going to be able to deliver something to her that Dusty never could - the complete and total destruction of Sue Ellen Ewing.

***

Gary closed his eyes and silently admitted to himself that he needed to get the hell back to California. Southfork was his home, but there were such bad memories here. And still constant drama. It never stopped. And it always tempted him to drink.

Always.

Lucy has invited him to come have dinner with her at JR and Sue Ellen's place, but he'd politely declined. He'd told Lucy it was because he didn't want Ellie to have to eat alone, but the truth was he couldn't stand the thought of spending the evening in JR's company. Especially not when Lucy and the rest of the family were all fawning over JR these days like he was an apostle of the Lord himself.

He and Ellie had spent a pleasant enough day together, but they'd had a serious disagreement about Jock right before dinner. Gary had tried to talk to his mother reasonably about being careful letting his father come back to Southfork, but Ellie had gotten defensive and Gary had taken a cab back to Southfork, leaving his mother to eat dinner alone in town.

He needed to get out of here. He didn't belong.

He never had.

And he never would.

**"

JR sat back in his chair and watched his wife carefully. Something was bothering her. Her body language was stiff and stilted and she seemed to be very distracted...and somehow sad. He wondered if she was upset with him that he hadn't been able to take her to see her mother this afternoon like he'd promised. His meeting with Jock had created so many business problems that he and Bobby had spent the whole afternoon sorting through them.

"Did you hear me, JR?"

JR looked at his niece and shrugged carelessly. "It's fine with me, Lucy. So long as Jock isn't invited."

"No way!" Lucy promised. She was planning a small BBQ as a send off for her father before he went back to California. "But…"

"What?" JR's eyes narrowed suspiciously.

"I was thinking about inviting Ray and Donna."

JR studied her face carefully. She was asking him for his permission to include Ray in a family gathering. He turned the idea over in his mind for a few moments and finally decided that if SHE could tolerate the presence of Ray Krebbs, he could at least try to do the same. "That's fine," he finally said.

Lucy flashed him a bright smile and he couldn't help but smile back at her.

"Excuse me," Sue Ellen stood up when the phone rang.

JR cut his eyes to Pam and grunted. "She tell you about Barnes?"

"Yes," Pam said cooly. "It's a problem, but considering all of Cliff's health problems, a perjury charge is the least of his worries."

"It's for you, Bobby," Sue Ellen appeared back at the dining table. "Harv Smithfield. He said he has some things to go over with you about running Ewing Oil while Jock is gone."

Bobby nodded and stood up to take the call. Sue Ellen began clearing plates from the table and Lucy got up to help her.

"Hang on," JR touched Pam's arm to stop her from getting up. He waited until Sue Ellen and Lucy disappeared into the kitchen then took a deep breath. "I've been thinking about what you said to me last night - about Miranda."

"And?"

"And you're right. It makes zero sense that she'd try to seduce me like that. Pam, I think someone set me up. Someone who wants me and Sue Ellen apart."

"Jock?"

"More likely than not," JR admitted. "He pulled a stunt today in the office to try to cause problems between us. I need you to do me a favor."

"What?"

"Go talk to Miranda. Find out why she did what she did and who is pulling her strings."

"Why would she talk to me?"

"I don't know, but I get the weird feeling that she felt guilty about the whole thing. Just try."

"Alright, JR."

"Thanks, Pam. And…"

"Yes?"

"Is there going to be trouble between you and Sue Ellen about Cliff?"

"No," Pam said softly. "She asked him to lie, but I agreed to it. There won't be any problems."

"Good," JR was relieved. "Because the five of us - Me & Sue Ellen, You & Bobby, and Lucy…"

"We have to stick together," Pam finished his thought. "No matter what. It's the only way to beat Jock at his own game."

"Exactly," JR nodded. "Exactly."

***

"Good evening, Mrs. Ewing."

Elle looked up from her dinner plate to see a tall, handsome man staring down at her. "Good evening," she smiled at him.

"I'm Clayton Farlow," he stuck out his hand for her to shake.

"I know who you are. You've made several sizable donations to the Daughters of the Alamo."

Clayton nodded, "Well, I just wanted to speak. It was nice seeing you."

"Wait," Ellie stopped him from walking away. "Are you having dinner alone?"

"Yes, I am."

"So am I. My family is having dinner at JR and Sue Ellen's tonight. I couldn't stand the thought of eating at Southfork all by myself. Why don't you join me?"

"You sure?"

"Very sure," Ellie gestured to the empty seat across from her. "Please. Sit down."

"Thank you, Mrs. Ewing," Clayton said, taking the offered seat.

"You're very welcome. And please. Call me Ellie."

***

"JR?"

JR put the papers he was studying away from him and turned his full attention to his wife. It was plain to see that something had been bothering her all night. He hoped she was finally ready to talk to him about it. "Yes, honey?"

"This baby is yours," she said in a rush.

JR sank back into the couch and studied her carefully. "I know that, Sue Ellen."

"Do you?" She asked him. "I mean, there have been other men and you…"

"I can father children, Sue Ellen," JR reminded her. "I fathered John Ross after all. And they way you and I have been going at it like rabbits, I have no doubt who the father of that baby is."

"Alright, JR," she sighed heavily and turned her head away from him.

JR didn't like this. Not one bit. It was too big of a coincidence that she was worried that he suspected he wasn't the father of their baby after what Jock had said to him today. "Sue Ellen?"

"Yes?" Her voice was shaky and she couldn't bring herself to look at him.

"Have you been talking to my daddy, honey?"

Sue Ellen's shoulders slumped and she let out a strangled cry. "Yes, JR. Yes I have."

"Come here," he ordered her softly, holding out his hand to her.

Sue Ellen walked over to him, took his hand, and let him pull her down beside him on the couch. "Tell me," he whispered into her ear. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close to him. "You tell me what that bastard said to you. And don't you leave out a damn thing."

***
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Yes! Communicating and fighting issues as a team!! Perfect development.

Totally agree.

But because he's already being so nasty, I'm a bit scared of what Jock might try next when he sees JR has sided with his wife and not him.

Hopefully the shock/rage will do him in, then JR and Bobby can be free and happy with their wives...... and then as long as there's a way to get rid of the saddle tramp (and JR can behave) Miss Ellie can live happily ever after with Clayton.
 

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.

The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of season"Dallas."

***

Shot Through the Heart

Part Forty-nine:

***.

"Is that everything?"

"Yes, JR," Sue Ellen sobbed."Please don't be angry with me!"

"Why would I be angry with you, honey?"

"I could have just given him what he wanted!"

"No, sweetheart. And it hurts me to think you still think I'm the same man I once was that would expect you to do that."

"But JR…"

"No buts. You did the right thing telling me, Sue Ellen. I'll take care of it."

"How JR?"

"I have some irons in the fire. Don't you worry. My Daddy did his best to raise a bastard. He's getting ready to find out exactly how successful he was."

"JR, Pam…"

"I'll take care of it, I said," he snapped.

He grimaced when she cried even harder. "Now, honey, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped at you. But I need you to trust me now, okay? Can you do that?"

Sue Ellen raised her tear filled eyes to meet his. "I...I'll try, JR. It's just... you're daddy has always been the most important person in your life - and Ewing Oil the most important thing."

"Yes," JR admitted. "That was true once, Sue Ellen. But it isn't anymore. You are the most important person in my life. And our family is the most important thing. I swear it."

"I love you, JR. And I'll stand by you. Please...I need you to stand by me."

"I will, Sue Ellen," he bent his head to kiss her tenderly. "I promise."

***

"You sure you don't want me to come in with you?"

Pam smiled at her husband and shook her head. "No. She might feel threatened by you."

"I swear, Pam, I don't know why you're even doing this. JR shouldn't be asking you to do his dirty work."

"Bobby, he knows Miranda won't tell him the truth. Plus, he doesn't want to risk being alone with her. Can you imagine what she might say happened?"

"Fair point," Bobby conceded. "But why you?"

"Who else is he going to ask? Who else can he trust?"

"Pam, I just don't like you getting so involved in JR and Sue Ellen's personal business. The history there isn't very good."

"I know, Bobby. But they're both trying so hard. They're our family. We need to help them."

Bobby considered what she'd said carefully and finally nodded in agreement. "Okay, Pam. But get in, get what you need, and get out."

Pam leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. "I will. I promise."

***

"Where have you been?" Dusty snapped when Clayton came into the living room.

"Having dinner with a new friend," Clayton told him. "Why? Did you miss me?"

"I want to know how you did it. How did you convince a judge to give you control of my finances?"

"Money can buy a lot of favors."

"You sound just like JR Ewing."

"Do I?" Clayton asked him. "Well he certainly makes more sense than you do these days!"

"You have no idea what you're talking about."

"I know exactly what I'm talking about. You've been conspiring with that evil Sheppard woman to hurt the woman you claim to love."

"I'm not trying to hurt Sue Ellen! I'm trying to save her!?

"From what?" Clayton demanded. "A happy life with the man she loves?"

"She doesn't love JR. She loves me."

"No, she doesn't," Clayton sighed, completely exasperated. "Dusty, she was only with you because JR was hurting her. That's over now. He's trying to do right by her. But that sister of hers? All she wants is to make Sue Ellen suffer. And you're helping her! If you truly loved her, you'd stop hurting her."

"She loves me," Dusty said stubbornly.

"No, son," Clayton's voice softened. "I know you need her to. I know you feel less of a man because of the accident and you think Sue Ellen can make you whole again. But she can't. She belongs to another man. And she doesn't deserve what her sister is doing to her."

"I… JR has been so cruel to her," Dusty grumbled.

"Yes. And yet she loves him still."

"How do you know Kristen is trying to hurt Sue Ellen?"

"I know a lot more than you think I do," Clayton told him. "Let me fix you a drink. We have a lot of talking to do."

***

"Grandma?"

Ellie turned around at the sound of Lucy's voice. "Yes?"

"Are you alright? Daddy said the two of you had an argument."

"We did. And I don't want to discuss it with you."

"But, Grandma, you have to understand why everyone is so wary about Grandpa coming back to Southfork."

"I do. But it's my home. My decision. Jock is my husband and I owe him the opportunity to make things right."

"But Grandma…"

"No buts, Lucy. And I don't want to discuss it further. Jock and I are leaving in the morning. We'll be back in two weeks. I'll have made my decision by then. You and the rest of the family can either accept it or not. But it is MY decision. And I'll make it alone."

***

"Jesus," Bobby jerked off his tie and threw it into the hamper. "JR is going to explode."

"Yes," Pam agreed worriedly. "He will."

Miranda had confessed the entire scheme to Pam. She'd been reluctant at first, but after a little prodding it had all spilled out of her. She actually had seemed relieved to confess.

"At least Daddy wasn't behind this."

"That almost would have been better."

"How so?"

"JR wouldn't kill Jock, no matter how mad he was. But Dusty Farlow?"

Bobby made a sour face. Pam was right. Dusty would be lucky if he lived through the night.

***

JR sipped his bourbon and looked out over the Dallas skyline. He and Sue Ellen rarely used the balcony, but the view was beautiful.

"JR?"

He turned his head to smile at his wife. "John Ross asleep?"

"Yes," she told him, walking up behind him and putting her arms around his waist.

"Can I ask you something about Pam?"

"Sure."

"Why does she want Cliff's baby so badly? Why not just have her own?"

"She and Bobby have been trying," Sue Ellen told him. "But she's not been able to get pregnant."

"Still, she could. I mean, look how long it took you to get pregnant with John Ross. Plus, the kid is Cliff's. What about that disease?"

"Neurofibromatosis," Sue Ellen told him. "She's aware of the risk, and she's worried. But she still wants the baby. And I don't think…"

"What?"

"I'm not sure her only reason for wanting the baby is that she's worried about not being able to get pregnant. That baby is going to be her flesh and blood. She just wants to do right by it."

"Just like you," JR mused.

"Yes."

He turned around and pulled her close against his chest. "I'm proud of you."

"For what?"

"Telling me the truth about Daddy. I know it was hard for you."

"JR…"

Her words were interrupted by the ringing of the telephone. JR reluctantly released her and went inside to answer it.

"Hello? Yeah. What?! That son-of-a-bitch! No. No.. Don't do a damn thing. Tell Bobby I call him in the morning. Yeah. Thanks, Pam."

"What was that all about?"

"Your lover," JR growled, hanging up the phone. "Dusty Farlow is a dead man."

***
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
"Hello? Yeah. What?! That son-of-a-bitch! No. No.. Don't do a damn thing. Tell Bobby I call him in the morning. Yeah. Thanks, Pam."

"What was that all about?"

"Your lover," JR growled, hanging up the phone. "Dusty Farlow is a dead man."

YAY........ GET HIM JR....... WOOHOO.

I feel bad for Clayton. He's such a good man.

"Yes," JR admitted. "That was true once, Sue Ellen. But it isn't anymore. You are the most important person in my life. And our family is the most important thing. I swear it."

"I love you, JR. And I'll stand by you. Please...I need you to stand by me."

"I will, Sue Ellen," he bent his head to kiss her tenderly. "I promise."

YES, that's my boy.

I LOVE the new relationship JR & Sue Ellen have built soooooo much.

"But, Grandma, you have to understand why everyone is so wary about Grandpa coming back to Southfork."

"I do. But it's my home. My decision. Jock is my husband and I owe him the opportunity to make things right."

"But Grandma…"

"No buts, Lucy. And I don't want to discuss it further. Jock and I are leaving in the morning. We'll be back in two weeks. I'll have made my decision by then. You and the rest of the family can either accept it or not. But it is MY decision. And I'll make it alone."

I really hope she remembers what she said about putting her kids first, but I have a bad feeling ..........
 

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.

The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of season"Dallas."

***

Shot Through the Heart

Part Fifty:

***.

"JR?"

JR rolled over onto his side and laid his hand on Sue Ellen's hip. "Yeah?"

"Can't sleep?"

"Having some trouble," he confessed.

Sue Ellen reached out and stroked his cheek. "I belong to you, JR. All of me. Every single piece of me."

JR couldn't help but smile. Their lovemaking tonight had been so intense. He was consumed by the need to show her that he owned her - and that she owned him. "That obvious what's bothering me, is it?"

Sue Ellen smiled back at him and snuggled closer. "Dusty Farlow was a mistake I made out of desperation. I needed you. I only turned to him because you didn't want me."

"But you thought you loved him."

"Yes," she admitted softly. "I had to convince myself of that."

"You were going to leave me for him."

"I was so hurt and confused. You and I were at each other's throats. You hurt me so badly. I…"

She took a deep breath and forced herself to continue. "JR, none of that matters now. We were different people then. I don't want anyone but you. Not Dusty. Not anyone. I belong to you."

JR rolled into his back and pulled her on top of him. "I belong to you, Sue Ellen."

"I know," she breathed out against his mouth. "No more doubts, JR," she positioned herself to slide down and take him inside her, "not from either of us."

***

"Where are you taking her?"

Jock looked up at his son and narrowed his eyes. "California. Nappa Valley. Why?"

"Just want to know where we can find her, that's all," Gary told him.

"Not concerned about being able to find me?"

"No," Gary told him truthfully. "I don't give a damn where you go."

"All you boys better start showing me proper respect. Your mama is taking me back and I'll be head of this house again soon."

"Mama can do whatever she wants. But you'll get no respect. Not from me anyway."

"You always were too stupid for your own good."

"I was smart enough to get away from you," Gary shot back.

"Jock?"

Both men turned their heads to see Ellie standing in the doorway. "What's going on?"

"Nothing important," Jock grunted. "You ready to go?"

"Yes. My bags are by the door."

Ellie walked over and hugged her son. "I wish you would still be here when I get back."

"Sorry, Mama. But I have to get home."

"I know. Give Valene my love."

"I will," he promised. "Take care, Mama."

Gary watched silently as Jock and Ellie left the room.

"You think she'll be alright?"

Gary looked around and saw Lucy standing behind him. "Yeah. She'll be fine."

"You really can't stand Grandpa, can you?"

"Let's just say if this is the last time I ever lay eyes on my father, that will be just fine by me."

***

"Mr. Ewing," Clayton stepped away from the door and invited him inside.

"You can call me JR. Where's your damn saddle tramp son?"

"In Austin," Clayton told him. "I sent him away last night."

"I need to talk to him."

"No, you really don't."

"Listen here, I know he's your son and you love him, but he's got a hell of a lot to answer to me for."

"Yes," Clayton sighed. "I know." Clayton walked over to a desk in the corner of the room and picked up a thick folder. He handed it to JR and gestured for the other man to take a seat. "You'll find most of your answers in there. I'll go get you some coffee. I have a feeling it'll take you a while to get through it all."

***

"How are you, Mother?"

"As well as can be expected," Patricia told her. "And you? I have been worried about you."

"I'm fine, as you can see," Sue Ellen informed her.

"I'm surprised JR let you come see me without him."

"JR has a lot to deal with. He knows I needed to see you. He agreed I could come without him as long as Pam was with me."

"You and Pam are becoming quite close, aren't you?"

"I'm very lucky to have her as a friend. But I didn't come here to talk about Pam. Or JR. I have heard the tape of Cliff's shooting. No one can keep you out of prison now. Not even JR."

"Yes. I know. I accept that. I just hope that you and JR can make it work this time. I want at least one of my daughters to be happy."

"Why, Mother? Why did you help Kristen hurt me?"

"I never meant to hurt you, Sue Ellen. I only wanted Kristen to have a chance to straighten out her life."

"I don't understand you at all."

"I know. Sit down. We have a lot to talk about."

***

JR shook his head and tried to organize his thoughts. "Dusty gave you all this stuff?"

"Some of it," Clayton told him. "Some of it came from a PI I hired. Some of it came from Kristen's lawyer after I took over paying her legal bills."

"Did Sue Ellen's mother know about any of this?"

"There's no indication that she was involved in any way or that she ever knew." Clayton walked back to the desk, opened a drawer, and pulled out a cassette tape. "This is the full tape of the shooting, JR. Kristen cut off the end on the copy she had Dusty send to the police. It's probably enough to keep Mrs. Sheppard out of prison."

"Thank you," JR said, taking the tape. "For everything."

"You're welcome, JR. I need you to know Dusty is a very sick man, mentally and physically. The accident caused permanent damage. Kristen found him alone and broken, earned his trust, and convinced him Sue Ellen loved and needed him. She played on his vulnerability the same as she's played on everyone else's weaknesses. He's as much her victim as anyone else in this mess. He's gone. He's in a clinic in Austin getting the help he needs. He isn't a threat to you or Sue Ellen anymore. I need you to give me your word that you'll leave him alone. He's suffered enough."

JR stood up and narrowed his eyes on Clayton's face. "You have my world that if he stays away from me and my family, I'll let him be. He comes anywhere near my wife again, and all bets are off. You understand me?"

"I understand," Clayton nodded and offered his hand to shake. "And you have a deal."

***

"Bobby? Ray Krebbs is here to see you."

Bobby looked up to see Phyllis standing in his office door. "Show him in."

Bobby stood up and walked around his desk to greet the other man. "What are you doing here Ray?"

Ray shook Bobby's hand and took a seat. "I wanted to talk to you about tomorrow night."

"What about it?" Bobby asked him, sitting down back behind his desk.

"It was nice of Lucy to think to include me and Donna in Gary's send off...but…"

"You're worried about JR's reaction to you being there," Bobby finished for him.

"Yes," Ray admitted. "I don't want to make everyone uncomfortable and I damn sure don't want any trouble with JR."

"I was there when Lucy asked JR if it was alright with him if she invited you. He didn't seem to have any problem with it."

"You sure?"

"Pretty sure," Bobby shrugged. "You know I would tell you if I thought it was a bad idea."

"Yeah. I know."

"Ray, no one blames you, you know. Not even JR. This is all on Jock."

"I'm glad he's going out of town a while. We all need a break from him."

"Things are going to be pretty rough when he gets back. You should prepare yourself."

"Why? What happened?"

"JR came into possession of concrete proof Jock is scheming to break up both our marriages and throw me out of the company."

"Do I even want to know how JR got his hands on that?"

"Probably not. But we're moving against him, Ray. It's going to be war. Just thought I should warn you."

Ray was silent for a few minutes then let out a loud sigh. "Anything I can do to help?"

"You sure you want to?"

"Jock may be my father, but he isn't the man I thought he was. You and JR...and Gary... you're my brothers. And you are my best friend. Yeah. I'm sure, Bobby. Just tell me what you need."

***

"No," Pam shook her head and stamped her foot. "Absolutely not! JR will kill us both!"

"Please, Pam!" Sue Ellen pleaded. "You heard what my mother said! Kristen isn't going to go away. I need to confront her!"

"Not without JR knowing you don't!"

"Pam, I have to do this! Besides, think about that baby!"

"What about it?" Pam asked suspiciously.

"Do you really believe she intends to keep her word about letting you and Bobby adopt it? After everything my mother told us today, you can't honestly think she intends to keep her word!"

"Sue Ellen…" Pam felt herself waivering. "I just don't want…"

"What?" Sue Ellen snapped.

"You and JR are in such a good place right now! Keeping secrets and running around behind his back could blow up in your face. He won't take kindly to you lying to him, even if your intentions are good."

"You should listen to her," a low, silky voice came from behind them. "She's damn right."

"JR…" Sue Ellen sucked in a deep breath. "I didn't hear you come in…"

"Obviously," JR barked. "Get lost, Pam. My wife and I need to have a long talk."

"Don't speak to her that way!" Sue Ellen snapped at him.

"It's fine," Pam held up her hand. "Just call me later when all this is hashed out."

JR stood silent and still as a stone until Pam was gone and he was alone with his wife. "Alright, Miss Texas. Confession time. Spill it all. Right now."

***
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Bloody hell..... not AGAIN......... you're trying to give me a heart attack with the drama and cliffhangers ain't ya?.

I WANT JOCK'S BLOOD.

He's gonna destroy the whole family and for what?.

Please don't leave me hanging for too long.
 
K

Karin Schill

Guest
I'm glad to see that Clayton managed to get JR to leave Dusty alone. He is a sensible person.

I wonder how hard Jock has hit his head?
I mean the way he's trying to tear his family apart is a bit too self-destructive even for him. I hope Miss Ellie can talk some sense into him and get him to see reason. She usually wants to keep her family together and I can't see her actually divorce Jock or turn her back on her kids.

Interesting to see Ray, JR, Bobby and Gary collaborate for once.
 

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.

The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of season"Dallas."

***

Shot Through the Heart

Part Fifty-one

***.

"I'm not a child JR," Sue Ellen seethed. "Stop ordering me around like I am!"

JR chuckled lowly, took off his hat, tossed it on the coffee table, and sat down beside her. "Stop deflecting and start talking," he told her.

"My mother told me a lot of things about Kristen today that I didn't know. And she's never going to stop, JR. She'll never leave me alone. I need to talk to her and let her know the game is over."

"And the reason you felt the need to do it behind my back?"

"I knew you'd object to me seeing her. I would have told you afterwards, JR. I wouldn't have kept it a secret from you."

"Is that so?" He mocked her.

"Yes, that's so!" She insisted.

"One of these days, Sue Ellen, you're going to learn to trust me enough to know you don't ever have to hide anything from me. But until then...well let's just say I came home when I did and stopped you from doing something stupid."

"You haven't stopped me, JR," she informed him cooly. "I'm going to see my sister whether you like it or not!"

"Oh, you're going to see her alright, Miss Texas. We're going to see her together. While you were visiting with your mother, I had a visit of my own."

"With who?"

"Clayton Farlow."

"What? Why?'

"You knew I was going to the Southern Cross to confront Dusty about Miranda. Dusty wasn't there. His father was, though."

"And he talked to you?"

"Yes," JR told her. "Sue Ellen, I'm sure whatever your mother told you was true - from her perspective. But she couldn't have told you the whole truth, because Kristen has been lying to and manipulating her the same as everyone else."

"Why would Clayton Farlow have any information at all about my sister?"

"Because your cowboy had been working with her to destroy our marriage. And he's not the only one."

"Who else?"

JR took a deep breath and draped his arm around her shoulder. "My father," he told her evenly.

"Jock?" Sue Ellen gasped in shock. "Jock has been plotting with Kristen?"

"Afraid so," JR sighed. "But the game is over now, Sue Ellen. I have enough on my Daddy to put him in his place for once and for all."

***

"You like the room?"

Ellie turned away from the window to face her husband. "It's lovely, Jock."

"You were awful quiet during the trip. You okay?"

"I'm fine. I suppose I've just been thinking."

"About what?"

"Our family," Ellie said softly. "I know if you and I go back to Southfork together Pam and Bobby will leave. Maybe Lucy too. It's a hard pill to swallow."

"You coddle them too much," Jock snapped. "Get tough and they'll fall right back into line. JR too."

"No, Jock. They won't. You don't have any real understanding of how hurt and disgusted they are by you. You live in some sort of fantasy world in your head where you think you can just bark out orders for forgiveness and everyone will do as you ask. That may have been true at one time, Jock. But it's not anymore."

"You're making too much out of all this, Ellie. By the time we get back to Southfork everything will be settled and back to normal with the boys."

"Things will never be normal st Southfork again," Ellie smiled sadly. "This trip is about more than just saving our marriage. It's about me choosing between my husband and my children."

***

"That can't be right," Jordan Lee's eyes were wide and his jaw was slack.

"It's right," Bobby assured him. "I checked it four times."

"But...that would mean your father…"

"Has been lying to you about how much oil those wells are producing and cutting you and the rest of the cartel out of your rightful profits."

"I just can't believe this. Jock has always been an honorable man."

Bobby sank back in his chair and studied the other man's face carefully. "Jock has always pretended to be an honorable man," he finally said. "The truth is there are dozens of deals like this going back for the last ten years. Jock had quite the scheme going. Cut deals for profit sharing to lessen his risk, then lie about the profits and increase his returns."

"How can it be that we never caught him?"

"You did a few times. He blamed JR and paid the difference."

"Now, just a minute," Jordan protested, "you won't ever convince me that JR is innocent in any of those deals."

"I won't try to. You're right; JR isn't innocent. He's pulled his fair share of wool over yours eyes in the past as well. But where do you think JR learned all his tricks? And who do you think approved all his schemes?"

"Why are you telling me this now?"

"Because JR and I are tired of being pawns in our daddy's games. We're branching out on our own. I'm showing you this so you'll know Ewing Oil has cheated you over and over."

"So we'll throw in with you against Ewing Oil?"

"Yes."

"JR is still a problem."

"JR and I will be equal partners. He won't be able to manipulate around me. And the truth is, he doesn't want to. He wants a fresh start. He wants to prove he can be an honorable man."

"Ewing Oil owes us all a lot of money."

"Yes," Bobby agreed. "Throw in with me abd JR and we'll make sure you get every cent."

"I need to talk to the rest of the cartel, but…"

"But what?" Bobby pushed him.

"But I think you have yourself a deal."

***

Ray sipped his coffee and checked his watch. Donna was late, as usual.

He let his mind run back over his earlier conversation with Bobby. It was hard for him to wrap his brain around the fact that JR had thrown in with his younger brother over Jock.

Ray and JR had been very close at one time. They'd spent so much time together drinking and womanizing. Ray had softened and grown up over the years, but JR had remained that same selfish bastard. They'd grown apart and Ray had developed a real disdain for the oldest Ewing son.

But Bobby seemed to trust JR now. Completely. Ray prayed it wasn't a huge mistake. JR was a schemer. It wouldn't surprise Ray a bit for JR to turn his back on his younger brother to slide back into Jock's good graces.

"Sorry, I'm late," Donna appeared beside him, kissed him on the cheek, and sat down at the table. "How did it go with Bobby?"

"Fine," Ray told her. "He's sure JR won't have any problem with me coming to the BBQ."

"JR really seems to be handling the situation with his father very well."

"Yeah. So far. Hey, Donna?"

"Yes?" She asked, picking up a many and glancing over the options.

"The family needs to know the whole truth about Jock."

"What?" She put down the menu and swallowed hard. "Ray….no… I can't."

"You have to," Ray frowned. "Right now everyone is mad at Jock. But I don't think any of them - except maybe JR - know the true depth of that man's character flaws."

"But, Ray, you know I only told you that to help ease your mind about your feelings over Jock. I can't tell the rest of the world. I don't want Sam's memory to be tarnished."

"I know. But, Donna, they have a right to know who Jock really is and how ruthless he can be. They're moving against him in a big way. They should have a clear understanding of what they're dealing with."

"Ray...what you're asking me to do…"

"I know, Donna," Ray said softly. "And I wouldn't ask you if I thought there was any other way. I'm sorry honey. But you're going to have to tell the Ewings about what happened to Jonas Culver."

***

"You going to talk to Pam tonight?" JR said into the phone. "Alright. No. She's fine. We're heading over to Kristen's shortly. Okay, Bobby. We'll talk soon."

JR put the phone down and walked back to the couch. "Looks like the cartel is throwing in with me and Bobby."

"That's good news," Sue Ellen said distractedly. "JR, about Pam…"

"Bobby will handle that," JR cut her off. "We need to stay out of it."

Sue Ellen nodded and chewed at her bottom lip. "Clayton Farlow certainly had one hell of a private investigator."

"Yeah. I'm very impressed."

"So what now, JR?"

"Now, we take the tape of the shooting to Kiefer and get your mother out of jail. Then we go see Kristen."

"My poor mother," Sue Ellen sighed. "Kristen really had her snowed."

"Sue Ellen...how come you didn't believe Kristen's story?"

"What?"

"What your mother told you today, you rejected it out of hand. Why? It's not like there wasn't a time that I would have done every single thing Kristen accused me of."

Sue Ellen laughed and shook her head. "JR you were a liar and a cheat, but there are lines that even you would never cross. You wouldn't hurt me. Not even during our darkest times together."

"Sue Ellen…"

"Don't," she reached over and cupped his face in her hands. "Kristen is sick. She needs to be locked away someplace where she can get the help she needs and never have the opportunity to ever hurt anyone else. Let's just take care of that. We'll deal with everything else later."

"Alright, Sue Ellen," JR kissed her softly. "And you're right, you know. I never would hurt you the way Kristen said."

Sue Ellen kissed him again and hugged him tightly. "I love you, JR. I always have. And I always will."

***
 

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
@Karin Schill , I know I have taken everyone way off the rails here. I have always seen Jock just as evil as JR (actually more evil) and wondered what would have happened if the family had to confront the truth of Jock's character and come to terms with the fact that whatever JR is, Jock made him that way. Used this fic to explore that.

The brothers acting together - again, always wondered what kind of relationship they could have had with each other if Jock's influence was removed.

Jock's lack of control will be explained a few chapters down the line, but in this fic, it is his TRUE character - he just lost the ability to keep it in check.
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Happy to see things ok with JR and Sue Ellen. I hope they can keep working on their communication and trust once this latest drama has been sorted

It's always very cool in your stories to see the brothers coming together. I wish that Gary could let go of some of his issues and try to build a new relationship too. But I guess I understand.

As for Miss Ellie, I feel bad for her, but after everything Jock has done, there shouldn't BE a choice.

Still want Jock's blood.

#TeamClayton forever.
 

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.

The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of season"Dallas."

***

Shot Through the Heart

Part Fifty-two:

***.

"Are you sure, Bobby?" Pam pressed him. "JR seemed very angry when I left."

"He and Sue Ellen worked it out," Bobby told her. "They're going to go sort out Kristen together."

"That was quite the story she told her mother," Pam growled. "JR seducing her, drugging her AND Sue Ellen! It's unbelievable!"

"Yes. But poor Patricia believed it. Anyway, like I said, JR and Sue Ellen will sort out Kristen. There's something else you and I need to talk about."

"What?"

"Pam…" Bobby paused to organize his thoughts. "My father, he spent a lot of time and resources investigating us. Trying to find something he could use to break us up."

"I know," Pam shrugged. "A waste of energy."

"Not completely," Bobby said softly.

"What?"

"He did find something...or actually someone."

"What are you talking about, Bobby?"

"Pam… I don't know how to say this except just to come right out and say it."

"Well?"

Bobby took a deep breath and locked eyes with her. "It's your mother, Pam. Jock found your mother."

***

"You're crazy," Kristen growled. "All of that's lies!"

"Lies?" JR mocked her. "We have the proof, Kristen. You told your mother that I drugged you and Sue Ellen. You told her I was planning to get rid of Sue Ellen once and for all and force you to marry me. The problem is that the drugs you claim I was using were purchased by you at a pharmacy in San Antonio. Sue Ellen was being drugged. By you. She was drinking so much all of us just assumed it was the booze making her crazy. But she wasn't just drunk, was she? She was drugged. She was drugged the night I was shot, wasn't she?"

"You'll never prove that."

"Maybe not," JR shrugged. "And maybe we won't be able to prove a lot of what's in those files. But we can prove that you and my daddy tried to sell that baby you're carrying. We can still prove the fraud against all those men. We can also prove that you're responsible for Cliff Barnes' shooting and not your mother."

"What are you talking about?" Kristen's eyes narrowed.

"We have the original tape. We know that your mother didn't realize the gun was loaded."

"How did you…"

"You should have destroyed that tape, Kristen. But you didn't. You kept it and Dusty Farlow stole it from you for leverage in case you ever crossed him."

"You're bluffing!"

"Think that if you want, but ask yourself how I would know your mother thought the gun was empty if I hadn't heard that tape."

"You won't send me to jail," she snarled. "If you do, Pam and Bobby will never get this baby."

"Enough!" Sue Ellen stood up and stalked over to stand directly in front of her sister. "You're a sick little girl, Kristen. You lied about JR, you lied about me. You told our mother that Cliff Barnes raped you. You manipulated Dusty when he was hurt. You tried to send me to jail for shooting JR. You tried to sell your baby to the highest bidder. You're going away. The only question is whether you'll spend the rest of your life in jail or in a mental institution. As for the baby, I'll petition the court for guardianship and we'll let a judge sort it out."

"You don't have the guts to fight me in court," Kristen laughed. "You think your trial was humiliating? Just wait until I get done washing your dirty laundry in public!"

"Oh, my dear, delusional little sister," Sue Ellen mocked her, "that threat may have worked against me in the past. But not anymore. JR loves me. I have a family who will support me. I don't care what anyone else thinks of me anymore."

"You don't have any cards left to play, Kristen," JR said coldly. "The police are on their way now. Decide whether or not it's going to be jail or an institution, but decide right now."

"You won't get away with this," Kristen warned them.

"We already have," JR informed her. "You're done. I'm going to personally see to it that you never hurt another living soul."

***

"So Kristen told her mother they were just going to threaten Cliff with the gun so he would admit to raping her?"

"Yes. When Patricia pointed that gun at Barnes she had no idea it was loaded. She was shocked when he went down. It's all on the tape, including Kristen Sheppard admitting to her mother that she had loaded the gun," Kiefer paused and took a breath. "Surely this is enough to at least get the charges against Patricia Sheppard reduced and get her out of jail."

"If what you say is on that tape is really on there, then yes," the DA told him. "We need to go pick up Kristen Sheppard though."

"Being done as we speak," Kiefer informed him.

"Alright. Let me listen. Then we'll work out something for Mrs. Sheppard."

"Thank you," Kiefer sighed with relief. With any luck, Patricia would be out of jail by sundown.

***

"She's lovely," Pam ran her fingers over a picture of the woman Jock Ewing believed was her mother.

"Yes," Bobby smiled. "You have her eyes."

"I...I guess I should let Cliff know…"

"I'd wait until we can confirm she's your mother first," Bobby warned.

"She is," Pam said, her voice full of conviction.

"We should go see her."

"Yes," Pam agreed. "Can we go tomorrow?"

"Yes," Bobby said softly, kissing the top of her head. "Yes we can."

***

"You okay, honey?"

"Honestly, I feel as if I'm going to be sick," Sue Ellen said weakly.

"Why don't you go lie down?" JR suggested, his voice full of concern. "I'll handle everything that needs to be done."

"I still can't believe she hates me so much," Sue Ellen cried.

Sue Ellen had made the mistake of asking Kristen why she had done everything she did. Kristen had relished telling her older sister how much she despised her. Kristen blamed Sue Ellen for making their father leave them. She resented the attention Sue Ellen had gotten for being a beauty queen. Mostly she hated her because she'd managed to make their mother happy by finding the perfect wealthy man from the perfect wealthy family - just like Patricia always wanted. Kristen had never been able to duplicate Sue Ellen's accomplishments - not in school, not in beauty pageants, and not in finding the perfect husband.

"Sue Ellen, your sister is sick. She needs help. And now she'll finally get it."

"Yes. Oh, JR. How did she go so wrong?"

"I don't know, honey. But whatever caused it, it wasn't your fault."

"Maybe, but…"

"No buts," he silenced her with a kiss. "Let go of your guilt, honey. You're not to blame."

Sue Ellen nodded and gave him a quick hug. "I think I will go rest for a while, JR."

"Alright. I'll get your mother settled and call Lucy and ask her to bring John Ross home."

"Thank you, JR. I love you."

"I love you too, Sue Ellen," JR hugged her tightly. "And I promise you I'll never let anyone else hurt you ever again."

***

"Do you understand what I've said to you, Jock?"

"Yeah," Jock shrugged. "You want to know everything."

"Yes. I do. I know you've been sneaking around and manipulating the lives of our children. Tell me the truth. The whole truth. It's the only way to put this behind us and move forward."

"Problem is, if I tell you everything, you're not going to want to move forward with me at all."

"You're wrong, Jock," Ellie sighed. "I know what you are. I know what you're capable of. And I love you still. But I have to know it all. I can't be blindsided down the road."

"Alright, Ellie," Jock sighed heavily and sat down. "I guess I should start at the beginning."

***

"That it?" JR signed the papers, closed the folder, and pushed it across the table.

"For now," Kiefer nodded. "I'll take this down to the jail and get the bail posted."

"Can you get Patricia settled in her apartment for me? I don't want to leave Sue Ellen tonight."

"Of course. Oh, before I forget I talked to the attorney I told you about, the one who specializes in minor custody cases."

"And?"

"And Cliff Barnes isn't physically capable of taking care of a child, but since there's nothing wrong with his mind, he has a good shot at suing Kristen for custody and then designating Pam and Bobby as guardians."

"That's good news. Can you set up a meeting with him in the next few days?"

"Sure thing," Kiefer said, standing up. "I'll call when Mrs. Sheppard is settled."

"Thank you," JR stood up and walked the attorney to the door. "See you soon."

JR shut the door behind Kiefer and walked back into the living room. "Sorry about that, Gary."

"No problem," Gary shrugged. "Sorry to show up without warning. Lucy insisted I come with her to bring John Ross home."

"You don't have to warn us before coming over here, Gary," JR laughed at him. "You're family after all."

Gary dropped his eyes to the ground and shrugged. "You've not exactly welcomed my presence with open arms in the past."

"Yeah. Well I was stupid."

Gary jerked his eyes up, shocked by JR's admission. "JR…"

"Look, Gary," JR waved his hand, "you and I both know why we've never gotten along. You resented me for always taking Daddy's side and I resented you because you wouldn't. You and I both saw things no kid should ever have to see and we both dealt with it in our way. It's all water under the bridge now. At least for me. It took me getting shot and almost losing my wife, but I see our father for what he is now. I refuse to let him damage me or my relationships with the people I care about any further. We don't need couples therapy, but we do need a fresh start. You gonna be able to give me one?"

Gary sat back in his chair and considered his brother's words carefully. "I can try, JR," he finally said.

"Good," JR smiled at him. "That's all I ask."

***

"Was that Miss Ellie?"

"Yes," Bobby grimaced and hung up the phone. "Pam, we're going to need to start looking for a house."

"She... she's taking Jock back?"

"She didn't come right out and say it, but yeah. In a round about way she let me know she's made her choice."

"But she doesn't know everything we know, Bobby. She doesn't know Jock cheated the cartel. She doesn't know about Kristen. She doesn't know about my mother."

"True," Bobby sighed, "but she knows enough. And I don't think any of that will matter to her anyway. She's Jock's wife before she's our mother."

"Oh, Bobby…"

"It's fine, Pam. I just hope when she gets back and sees everything JR and I have done to protect ourselves and our families that she doesn't turn away from us completely. But, even if she does, we only did what Jock forced us to do. Whatever happens, it's all on him."

***


"JR? Are you alright?"

JR tightened his arms around his wife and kissed her forehead. "I was just thinking about my phone conversation with Bobby earlier. I can't believe Mama would take that bastard back."

"Try not to judge her too harshly for it," Sue Ellen told him. "She loves him."

"I don't see how she still can. Not after everything he's done."

Sue Ellen was quiet for a few minutes, trying to decide how to answer him. She finally sat up in the bed and reached for her robe.

"Where are you going, honey?"

"To the bathroom," she told him. "JR…"

"Yes?"

"Love - TRUE is the most powerful of all our emotions. It can make us do things that we would otherwise never do, accept things that we would otherwise never accept. Miss Ellie loves you. She loves all her boys. But she loves Jock so deeply. She knows you will be okay without her. Jock won't."

"Because of his health?"

"No. Because of his love for her. JR it's like…"

"What?" He pressed her.

"They're just like us, don't you see?" She struggled to explain. "Every scheme. Every affair. Every awful and petty thing we did to each other. Neither of us could ever leave. Our relationship was so unhealthy. So toxic. But we couldn't survive without one another. Jock and Miss Ellie are the same. I know I'm probably not making any sense…"

"No," JR whispered softly. "You're making perfect sense. Honey?"

"Yes, JR?"

"Never again. From now on, we won't be like that. We'll treat each other with respect and dignity and care. Our children will grow up seeing us love one another in a healthy way. We won't damage our kids the way Jock and Ellie damaged us."

"Yes," Sue Ellen leaned over and kissed him deeply. "I know, JR. Our future is going to be beautiful, isn't it?"

"It truly is," he promised her. "It truly is."

***
 

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
3
I HATE that Sue Ellen IS right, in a way.
But at the same time I honestly don't believe that Jock loves Miss Ellie the way, or as much as JR loves Sue Ellen.
Or that Sue Ellen would let her love for JR override her love for John Ross.
I believe that JR and Sue Ellen deep down, despite how they were raised, are both better people than Jock or Patricia will ever be.

Loved JR's talk with Gary. Still hoping they can find a way to get past their issues and past and be brothers now.
 

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.

The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of season"Dallas."

***

Shot Through the Heart

Part Fifty-three

***.

"That ought to do it," JR grumbled as he signed the last check. "Paying the cartel back what Daddy skimmed is costing us a damn fortune."

"Well worth it," Bobby said.

"Easy for you to say," JR laughed. "You're not the one signing the checks!"

Bobby chuckled along with his brother, then shook his head. "You talk to Ray?"

"Yeah," JR made a face. "Said that Culver woman had something important to tell us tonight."

"Wonder what it is?"

"Who knows?" JR shrugged, "with Daddy it could be anything. '

"How's Sue Ellen today?"

"Holding on. But barely. She went to see her mother this morning. That always upsets her. Pam?"

"Hard to say," Bobby sighed. "She's glad to have finally found her mother, but hurt that Rebecca doesn't seem to be interested in any kind of relationship."

"That might change with time."

"Maybe," Bobby mused. "Oh hey, did Sue Ellen tell you her and Pam were looking for new houses? They want to be in the same neighborhood."

"Yeah," JR chuckled. "You and I have something to decide between the two of us about that."

"What?"

"Who gets custody of Lucy," JR laughed again.

"Draw straws? Short straw has to take her?"

The brothers laughed together. For the first time in their adult lives, there was no anger or resentment or distrust between them. Only love.

***

"I'm already getting a stomach!" Sue Ellen groused. "I'll be as big as a house before long!"

Pam chuckled and shook her head. "Please. You hardly gained any weight at all when you were pregnant with John Ross."

"Yes," Sue Ellen sighed. "But I was drinking more than I was eating."

"I am so proud of you, Sue Ellen. You've put all that behind you."

"Yes. Pam...I…"

"What?"

"I just want to say how sorry I am for how I treated you in the past. You were never anything but kind to me and I was so awful to you."

"You were going through so much, Sue Ellen. I never took it personally."

"The way you were with me after I was arrested, I'll never forget that. I needed a friend so badly and I am so blessed to have had you. I won't ever take our friendship for granted again."

"Me either, Sue Ellen," Pam reached out and squeezed the other woman's hand. "Me either."

***

JR sat back in his patio chair and watched his family. Lucy's BBQ was a resounding success. Everyone was having such a good time. It was such a shame that this would be the last time they'd all be together here at Southfork.

"Mind if I sit?"

JR looked up to see Ray and shrugged.

"Look, JR," Ray said, taking a seat, "I know things are going to be awkward between us…"

"Do you still want my wife?" JR blurted out.

"No," Ray sighed heavily. "I don't have any interest in Sue Ellen at all."

"That's what I thought," JR told him. "I remember the night you pulled my drunk ass out of a bar and took me home to her. Let's just call it even."

"Even?"

"You slept with her back when you and I were both bastards. But you helped me get back to her now that we've both changed. Let's just call it even."

"You mean that, JR?"

"Yeah. The past is the past. Best to let it go, don't you think?"

"I do," Ray said with a genuine smile. "I really do."

***

"You gonna call the boys and tell them?"

"Not tonight," Ellie told her husband. "Lucy is having a BBQ for Gary. I'll let them enjoy their evening. Besides, I spoke to Bobby last night. I'm sure he's figured out what I decided already.

"I don't think it'll be as bad as you think, Ellie," Jock told her. "They'll both get over it."

"I doubt that seriously," Ellie sighed. "And you remember what I told you. Back off. Drop your crazy schemes and leave them alone. Let them take their wives and live happy lives away from us."

"Ellie, I don't think…."

"I mean it, Jock," she cut him off. "I'll take you back, but you have to let our boys go!"

"Alright, Ellie," Jock gave in reluctantly. "Whatever you want."

***

"I'm going to be sick."

JR looked over and his wife, concern on his face."You need some water, honey?"

"I'll get it," Lucy jumped up. She poured a glass of water from a pitcher at the bar and walked over to hand it to her aunt. "Here. Drink this."

"This is just awful," Pam said sadly.

Donna had just finished telling the whole story about Jock and Sam Culver forcing Jonas into an insane asylum so that they could drill on his land and steal his oil and how Jonas had reacted by taking his own life.

"I, for one, am not the least bit surprised," Gary grumbled.

"You have proof of all this, Donna?" Bobby asked her.

"I do," Donna nodded. "I never wanted it to be public. But…"

"It doesn't need to be," JR interrupted her. "The threat of exposure will be all we need to put Daddy down once and for all."

"So you think we should use this?" Bobby asked.

"Why not?" JR shrugged. "He was going to use everything he had on us to get his way. No reason we shouldn't do the same."

"But there is a reason, JR," Pam protested. "We're better than that!"

"Are we?" JR challenged her. "Maybe you are. I'm not. I am, after all, my father's son."

"I don't know, JR," Bobby said thoughtfully. "Do we really want to go that low?"

"Yes," Gary spoke up. "I agree with JR. We use it. He wouldn't hesitate to use something this bad against us, would he?"

"We all have to agree," Ray spoke for the first time. "All or nothing."

"Bobby…" Pam's voice was shaking.

"Sorry, Pam," Bobby said evenly. "I say we use it."

"You know how I feel," JR said.

"Use it," Gary nodded.

"It's unanimous then," Ray agreed. "We stand together to take our father down."

***

"You okay?" Bobby found JR alone in the Jock's study, nursing a drink. "Everyone is looking for you."

"Been a rough night," JR said truthfully. "I told Ray we should put the past behind us. I meant it, but it still bothers me no matter how hard I try to push it out of my head. Thinking about never coming back to Southfork. This has always been my home and I'm going to miss it. And that stuff with Daddy and Sam Culver…"

"Hard to believe Daddy would do something that purely evil, isn't it?"

"No," JR sighed. "And that's what's bothering me. I have no trouble believing it. Because I have no doubt I would have done exactly the same thing."

"Maybe that was true once," Bobby said quietly. "But it's not anymore."

"How can you be so sure?" JR asked him.

"Don't know," Bobby answered truthfully. "I just am. JR none of us are perfect. Me, Gary, Ray...we've all done awful things, all made mistakes. Some of it can be chalked up to human nature and genetic character flaws. A lot of it was Jock's influence though. He left his mark on us all, but he left it on you the most. Mama even admits that."

"Doesn't excuse half the things I've done," JR grumbled.

"So what? Look at you now? Look at how you've repaired your life, your marriage. Look how much Sue Ellen loves you. And Lucy! Lucy would go to war for you. And Pam, Pam actually enjoys your company and trusts your words now. And me, JR. Look at how much your brother loves and believes in you. I am jumping off a cliff with you, starting this new business, going after Daddy. I wouldn't do that if I wasn't sure."

"But Bobby," JR shook his head, "what if I backslide? What if I mess up and go back to my old ways?"

"I don't think you ever will, JR. But if you do, we'll all be there to pull you back and smack some sense into you," Bobby sighed deeply and reached out to put his hands on JR's shoulders. "JR, we all know who you were. But we all know who you are now. We've forgiven you. All of us. Now you have to forgive yourself."

JR struggled to find the right words.to respond, but they were interrupted by Ray who came tearing into the study, a look of pure panic on his face.

"What is it, Ray?" JR asked, backing away from Bobby.

"Miss Ellie is on the phone with Gary," Ray said in a rush of air.

"So?" Bobby asked.

"It's Jock," Gary told them. "He had another stroke. Bad one. She's got him at the hospital and…"

"And what?" JR demanded.

"She said she doesn't think he's going to make it."

***
 
Last edited:
Top