• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

What was the last book you read?

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Amateur City by Katherine V. Forrest
The first in the Kate Delafield mystery series.
Forrest is celebrated as the inventor of the so-called lesbian noir genre but, aside from that twist, this is a fairly straightforward whodunnit.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Miss Memory Lane by Colton Haynes

I'd not heard about the actor Colton Haynes until I saw him on TV promoting his autobiography and it seemed like it would be an interesting read. I wasn't wrong. For someone so young, he has had a full and troubled life. The book is open and honest about the physical abuse he suffered at home and the sexual abuse he suffered he suffered at the hands of people he should have been able to trust. It also covers his alcohol abuse and coming to terms with his sexuality to ultimately reaching a place of happiness in his life. A really good and compelling read.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Matt Lincoln: The Revolutionist by Ed Garth
Digging deep into my TV tie-in collection for this one.
Matt Lincoln was a short-lived drama in the early 70s starring Vince Edwards as a psychiatrist. The book doesn't much resemble the series as I remember it, focusing on a call-in helpline rather than the individual patients that were the centre of each episode.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Another Murder, She Wrote mystery novel, Martinis & Mayhem

mswmartinis1.jpg

mswmartinis2.jpg

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A History of Christianity by Paul Johnson
2000 years squeezed into 500 pages.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Alfred Hitchcock and The Making of Psycho by Stephen Rebello

Fascinating insight into how the film Psycho was made and the impact it made on the film industry. Very well researched and well written.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Murder at the Nightwood Bar by Katherine V. Forrest (Kate Delafield #2)
A new case for Kate but her personal demons carry over from the first book.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Shibumi (1979 spy thriller by Trevanian [real name Rodney William Whitaker]; this modern-day copy is the same one that Joey King's character Prince in Bullet Train is seen reading on the titular train; attached are the front and back covers, and Prince's title card when we see her introduced, reading the book)...

shibumi1.jpg

shibumi2.jpg

joeykingprincebullettrainshibumi.png

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In the Morning I'll be Gone-Adrian McKinty. Third in the Sean Duffy series. I love the character and the Irish history. This one has the Troubles and a locked room mystery.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Fall of Boris Johnson: The Full Story by Sebastian Payne

I didn't find this book as "gripping" as did Andrew Marr but it was interesting nonetheless. It suffers from telling recent events that were well documented in the media at the time so there wasn't a huge amount that was new. Nor has sufficient time passed for government papers to be released or for careers to be at a point where people are more open to reveal more. However, having the full story pulled together from different sources beginning at the Owen Patterson Affair and ending at The Clown's resignation made for a good read.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Out of The Blue by Harry Cole & James Heale

Having recently read a book about the downfall of Boris Johnson (yippee, he's gone!) I thought I would next read this book about the how Liz Truss rose to the top and how she was quickly dispatched to the obscurity that she deserved. The book was originally intended to be just about her rise to power and many of the early chapters refer to her as though she is still Prime Minister so it's reasonably apparent that the changed the introduction and added a few of chapters to the end to cover her downfall. Reading the book, I realised just how little I previously knew about Liz Truss and I follow UK politics quite closely, so her elevation to Prime Minister was, as the subtitle of the book suggests, "unexpected". It's an interesting read and is quite sympathetic to her even though it is clear that she was wholly unsuited for the job and totally out of her depth.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Bearing the Cross (2017 memoir by Irv Cross, who was first a famed defensive back/cornerback for the Philadelphia Eagles, and then the L.A. Rams, before coming back for one final season to the Eagles as a player/coach, becoming then a coach of the Eagles after that; known more for being one of American television's foremost sports analysts as part of The NFL Today on CBS Sundays, alongside Brent Musburger, Phyllis George, Jimmy The Greek, Will McDonough and Dick Butkus)...

irvcrossbearingthecross1.jpg

irvcrossbearingthecross2.jpg

DarkMarc

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
The book that I'm reading right now is titled: The Queen of Technicolor - Maria Montez in Hollywood by author Tom Zimmerman
If you don't know who Maria Montez is her career spanned from her screen debut in Lucky Devils (1941, Universal) and her final film The Pirates' Revenge (1951, Athena Cinematografica). Montez's film roles (all of them are variations of Scheherazade in slumber-land which required these ingredients that Maria had in surplus: statuesque bearing, regal demeanor, fiery beauty and best of all, an unassailable confidence in herself. Best known for her appearance in six Technicolor "Neverland" fims. Maria Montez (1912 - 1951) is a film icon. Growing up as one of ten children in the Dominican Republic, her rise as a film star in the United States seemed unlikely. In 1939, Montez set off on her own to New York City to fulfill her aspirations of movie stardom. Despite having no substantial acting experience. Montez managed to sign with major agent Louis, who helped her secure a seven-year contract with Universal Studios before she moved out to Hollywood.
With her arrival in Los Angeles, Montez began cultivating the larger-than-life persona for which she is well known for. Her beauty, personality, and series of publicity stunts, which included dramatic restaurant entrances, endeared her to the press. She even created her own fan club - the Montez for Stardom Club. Her ambitious self-promotion bolstered the success she found with her big leading Arabian Nights, released in 1943. From than on the studio referred to her as "The Queen of Technicolor."

the-queen-of-technicolor.jpg