• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

What's The Last Album You bought?

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1620756936790.png
1620756965726.png

1620757175885.png

Last edited:

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 27128
As best I can remember, Helen Shapiro was my first celebrity crush, but by the time I was old enough to buy my own records I guess her star had faded and I never did own any of her music - until now.
I had no idea that she had done so much, or that her range was so wide - both vocally and in style of material. All I really remember a couple of radio hits.
I think my favourites here are her covers of the hits of the 60s. The combination of those songs and that voice is still irresistible.
Can I use this as an excuse to retell my favourite Helen Shapiro story? Thanks!

She was only about sixteen or seventeen at the time but was headlining her own tour and the Beatles, who were just starting out, were one of the support acts. It was their first tour and they were really excited. As she was the star, she had her own car to drive her from show to show, but she liked hanging out on the bus with the rest of the acts, especially the Beatles who she got on really well with.

During the tour, her star began to dim as the Beatles' began to rise. Her latest single flopped while theirs went straight to Number 1. The Beatles soon became the most popular act in the show and their manager insisted they start travelling in their own private car while Shapiro remained on the bus. They ended leaving the tour early and she really missed them.

Shapiro carried on releasing records after that, even though they didn't sell like they used to. A year or so later, she was appearing on the TV pop show Ready Steady Go. The Beatles, who by now were more successful than ever, were in the same episode and so, to generate interest in her latest song, someone had the idea of her singing each verse to a different member of the group. The only problem was there were four Beatles and only three verses, so the boys drew straws to see who would get left out and it was Paul. So instead, he was given the task of judging a dance competition elsewhere on the show. The girl he picked as the winner went on to become a regular dancer on Ready Steady Go for about a year. She was a normal girl from a small town and all of a sudden she was meeting loads of pop stars and hang out with them in swinging London. After an experience like that, she could never be satisfied living a quiet life at home with her parents again. She got pregnant by a fella and ran away from home leaving behind a note for her parents. They were heartbroken. Their story made it into the newspapers and Paul read about it. He didn't realise it was the same girl who'd won the contest he'd judged, but it inspired him to write the classic Beatles song, 'She's Leaving Home'. All because of little Helen Shapiro.

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The last album I bought was THE SOUND OF MUSIC film soundtrack.

View attachment 27175

"The hills are alive... with the Sound of Music..."
Great purchase, i still want to buy this album on cd, but never get to it, i still hope Julia Andrews would release a nice compilation cd with all her famous songs from movies, but i gues i need to buy those cd's from her movies to get those songs from the movies.

Last edited:

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Marfa Tapes by Jack Ingram, John Randall, and Miranda Lambert.

Actually, I got it for Mother's Day, but HEAVILY hinted that's what I wanted

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
@James from London. I've heard on many occasions that "She's Leaving Home" was based on real events. Today thanks for sharing you knowledge/anecdote/favourite Helen Shapiro story. I'm now better informed.

I've heard the name Helen Shapiro carried on the wind but she has not "found" me yet, so to speak. But she's a step closer as my curiosity has been piqued.

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
The penultimate physical album I bought was Massive Attack, Live At Royal Albert Hall. The last album I purchased, was Onyx's Bacdafucup.

Bought at 12:33pm on 2nd of April 2017. It was quite clear to me that the HMV I loved spending time in was slowly being superseded by the age. I went back to my hibernating iTunes account and embraced it afresh. Previously iTunes was just a something that I kind of dismissed as..... cheating, lazy not a true test of one's amorphous approach to finding the best...I'll spare you the meandering hyperbole.

The last album I downloaded was Charlotte de Witte's DJ mix at DGLT Barcelona.

Last edited:

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Is that an investment of sorts or is it one of those me-wanna-have-have things?

No, me as Barbra fan i want this album on vinyl, there is also a grey/black regular release but i like white vinyl more, it didn't coast anymore then the regular vinyl, but it could be worth some money if I you let it unplayed, but i don't want to do that, i can always sell my stuff when i get older

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
According to the Amazon UK page for this album it's a "#1 Best Seller in Hip-Hop & Rap".

That's another box ticked for Barbra, then.

I knew, Barbra is at home in all kinds of music genre from Broadway to Pop and from Disco to Pop/Rock, and now also hip-hop? i got a feeling we will get another new Barbra Streisand coming out this year. , haha. :dance::D

1623415377104.png

Last edited: