What was the last film you watched?

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
The Irishman (2019). I was looking forward to seeing this so much as it contained so much gangster film royalty. It was great seeing Joe Pesci on screen again but overall the film was a big let down and far too long.

%3Ffile%3D0032046DAFC4A6E33E916C4CF7ACDA20887A6D7B_1482126471.jpg
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
Liar, Liar

Not a big fan of Jim Carrey but his films do sometimes have an interesting concept behind them and I found myself actually laughing once or twice.
 

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Awards
4
The latest film I watch and LOVED was Midsommar. It's insanely good. Dont expect cheesy horror moves, don't expect jump scares, don't expect any kind of explanation. You will have to find out many, many things by yourself. You will have to dig up in the nordic/Vikings myths and culture to understand it. You will have to pay attention to a lot of tiny details. But if you use both your brain and instinct, you can potentially love this movie as much as I did. Many hate it, just you to know.
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
Picture Perfect

1997 rom-com directed and co-written by Glenn Gordon Caron and starring Jennifer Aniston.

Fairly unusual premise of a female exec hiring a man to act as her fiance to enhance her business prospects before (inevitably) falling for him for real. It struck me that it was in a way a gender-reversal - I could see it being made in the 60s with someone like Tony Curtis or even Jerry Lewis in one of his less slapstick moods.
 

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
6
 
Awards
16
Maleficent
I love how they turned the Sleeping Beauty saga around as there are almost always two sides to every story. She might have turned evil, but you understand why and even support her revenge against the new king in this version.
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

I'm more Trek than Wars but I did see the original trilogy when it came out and I'm enjoying this long-delayed wrap-up.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Joker (2019)

An outstanding film. Easily the best film based on a character from a comic book. At times it reminded me of Martin Scorsese's The King of Comedy but with more menace and danger.

resize
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

My Christmas tradition.

This is one of those film that you can keep watching and discovering new things. Take Kris's cane, for example. Sawyer and Pierce argue about whether he would use it as a weapon but we have already seen him threaten Drunk Santa with it in the opening scenes, and he will hit Sawyer with it just as he fears. It might be a single, measured blow but it's still resorting to physical violence, so Sawyer is right about that.

In fact, that's what makes the film so intriguing. No one, "hero" and "villain" included, is wholly right or wholly wrong. Everyone is acting independently for what they see as the best and the result is something planned by no one.

That's what all the remakes get wrong. They're all rewritten so that someone gets the idea and orchestrates the outcome, so that there's actually no miracle at all.

There is one nice little addition in the 1973 telemovie that I like, though - when Tom Bosley, as the judge, emerges from the mound of envelopes and surreptitiously slips his own grandchildren's letters into the pile.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

My Christmas tradition.
I have a similar Christmas tradition but different in that I alternate between rewatching Miracle on 34th Street and It's A Wonderful Life each year and for additional variety, I alternate between the original black and white release of those films and newer colourised versions.

However, this year I've decided to change that tradition and add a third film to my Christmas viewing rota and tomorrow I'll be watching the 1951 version of Scrooge, starring Alastair Sim, starting with the black and white version and will watch the colourised one in 3 years time. (I have a copy of both versions of all 3 films).

I agree with your comments about Miracle on 34th Street. One of the great things about the film is that it never establishes whether or not the man who called himself Kris Kringle was in fact the real Santa Claus or just thought he was because what was important was that people believed he was Santa.

I would add that in some ways it can be viewed as a metaphor for the Christian faith in that we can't prove that Jesus is the son of God but for Christians it's important to believe he is. Christmas is about belief in sonething as much (if not more) as it's about the facts.
 
Last edited:

A Nightmare on Jimmy Todd Street

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
5
 
Awards
12
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

My Christmas tradition.

This is one of those film that you can keep watching and discovering new things. Take Kris's cane, for example. Sawyer and Pierce argue about whether he would use it as a weapon but we have already seen him threaten Drunk Santa with it in the opening scenes, and he will hit Sawyer with it just as he fears. It might be a single, measured blow but it's still resorting to physical violence, so Sawyer is right about that.

In fact, that's what makes the film so intriguing. No one, "hero" and "villain" included, is wholly right or wholly wrong. Everyone is acting independently for what they see as the best and the result is something planned by no one.

That's what all the remakes get wrong. They're all rewritten so that someone gets the idea and orchestrates the outcome, so that there's actually no miracle at all.

There is one nice little addition in the 1973 telemovie that I like, though - when Tom Bosley, as the judge, emerges from the mound of envelopes and surreptitiously slips his own grandchildren's letters into the pile.


I love:love2: A Miracle on 34th St(1947)!
It's a movie that makes me happy. The actors are all perfect. We even get Fred Mertz!
 

A Nightmare on Jimmy Todd Street

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
5
 
Awards
12
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

My Christmas tradition.

This is one of those film that you can keep watching and discovering new things. Take Kris's cane, for example. Sawyer and Pierce argue about whether he would use it as a weapon but we have already seen him threaten Drunk Santa with it in the opening scenes, and he will hit Sawyer with it just as he fears. It might be a single, measured blow but it's still resorting to physical violence, so Sawyer is right about that.

In fact, that's what makes the film so intriguing. No one, "hero" and "villain" included, is wholly right or wholly wrong. Everyone is acting independently for what they see as the best and the result is something planned by no one.

That's what all the remakes get wrong. They're all rewritten so that someone gets the idea and orchestrates the outcome, so that there's actually no miracle at all.

There is one nice little addition in the 1973 telemovie that I like, though - when Tom Bosley, as the judge, emerges from the mound of envelopes and surreptitiously slips his own grandchildren's letters into the pile.


I love:love2: A Miracle on 34th St(1947)!
It's a movie that makes me happy. The actors are all perfect. We even get Fred Mertz!
 

A Nightmare on Jimmy Todd Street

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
5
 
Awards
12
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

My Christmas tradition.

This is one of those film that you can keep watching and discovering new things. Take Kris's cane, for example. Sawyer and Pierce argue about whether he would use it as a weapon but we have already seen him threaten Drunk Santa with it in the opening scenes, and he will hit Sawyer with it just as he fears. It might be a single, measured blow but it's still resorting to physical violence, so Sawyer is right about that.

In fact, that's what makes the film so intriguing. No one, "hero" and "villain" included, is wholly right or wholly wrong. Everyone is acting independently for what they see as the best and the result is something planned by no one.

That's what all the remakes get wrong. They're all rewritten so that someone gets the idea and orchestrates the outcome, so that there's actually no miracle at all.

There is one nice little addition in the 1973 telemovie that I like, though - when Tom Bosley, as the judge, emerges from the mound of envelopes and surreptitiously slips his own grandchildren's letters into the pile.


I love:love2: A Miracle on 34th St(1947)!
It's a movie that makes me happy. The actors are all perfect. We even get Fred Mertz!
 
Top