Locations

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Was this development in Dallas?

APv0XHh.png

Interesting question, MT. I've never looked. Maybe one of the others has. I would assume yes it was, as at that point much of the show was filmed in Dallas. I'll have to watch this scene again for location clues.
 

Legacies

Telly Talk Newbie
LV
0
 
Still searching for Swellen's townhouse. Looks like she's on a corner. There's a house to the left of her L/R window over the bush, facing her. I think there's another series shot showing the home on a corner. This is a tough one! Took a long shot and reviewed townhomes on Realtor.com in Dallas and Culver City (general LA has too many).

View attachment 17117

I think I've found it!

Sue Ellen.jpg4101 Emerson Avenue copy.png

It is in Dallas. The building matches, even the roof vent. The two trees and the sidewalk match too.

Those mysterious shiny pieces that you could just make out on the roof, above the window and on the neighbors by their fireplace are skylights.

It's a four unit townhouse, built in 1976. It looks like their are two floorpans and a flipped version of each. So at the other end of the building it appears there is a mirror image of this one.

It's on the corner of and Emerson Avenue and Preston Road.
 

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Winner
LV
5
 
Awards
12
Interesting question, MT. I've never looked. Maybe one of the others has. I would assume yes it was, as at that point much of the show was filmed in Dallas. I'll have to watch this scene again for location clues.

It was probably in California, as the pool scenes in that important episode were on the LA soundstage.

Whatever the location, Bobby’s decision to use composition tiles instead of shingles was a wise one!
 

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
4
 
Awards
9
I'm glad to see he went with composition tiles instead of shingles, which cheapen the house!

Dang! Guzzler beat me to it!

Course he had an advantage, 'cause he was there!
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
I think I've found it!

View attachment 17284View attachment 17285

It is in Dallas. The building matches, even the roof vent. The two trees and the sidewalk match too.

Those mysterious shiny pieces that you could just make out on the roof, above the window and on the neighbors by their fireplace are skylights.

It's a four unit townhouse, built in 1976. It looks like their are two floorpans and a flipped version of each. So at the other end of the building it appears there is a mirror image of this one.

It's on the corner of and Emerson Avenue and Preston Road.
Awesome find! Way to go! I can’t believe how much time I spent looking for this.
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
I'm on S8. My short list for now as:

  • Swellen's townhome
  • Jenna's apt - with the rock wall/fountain at the sidewalk.
  • Katherine's home she "bought back the home she was raised in"
Rebecca's house (above)
5500-park-lane-png.17166


Kath's house "she bought"
View attachment 17169

Others will come up while watching, or will come up from the buried depths of my fading memory.

I guess your short list is complete! Time for some more!
 

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Winner
LV
5
 
Awards
12
the very first shot of a Ewing oil office, JR's in Digger's Daughter

fZK9zYg.png


looks like the first two 'Ewing Buildings' in the distance, behind the 'Fidelity Union Life' building?
 

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Winner
LV
5
 
Awards
12
is this accurate as far as what we see out of JR's office?

jJkXsDw.jpg


maybe that view is from that white building with the small windows to the left of the 'sculpture building' in this google maps screenshot? The 'sculpture' is probably just a cool-looking antenna, I guess.

(is that the Bryan Tower that I'm pointing out? aka the first Ewing Building? It's thinner that I would have thought - I figured it was square-shaped like the Ewing Building of subsequent years.)
 
Last edited:

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
is this accurate as far as what we see out of JR's office?

jJkXsDw.jpg


maybe that view is from that white building with the small windows to the left of the 'sculpture building' in this google maps screenshot? The 'sculpture' is probably just a cool-looking antenna, I guess.

(is that the Bryan Tower that I'm pointing out? aka the first Ewing Building? It's thinner that I would have thought - I figured it was square-shaped like the Ewing Building of subsequent years.)

Here’s my take. I tried to match up your pictures with colors and added a google Earth view as it approximately might look out of those windows today. Bryan Tower is marked in red.

9D44CC4E-6F18-48FE-9EFA-FF922A80DB05.jpeg

409FA596-249A-4E65-B780-5B17E7CCE6FD.jpeg

CBC9EC48-F215-43FD-807A-E71E920A916F.jpeg

The white building with black windows and the building that is obscuring the Fidelity Union Life Building (Orange), Renaissance Tower (purple), First National Bank (yellow) were not there when the miniseries was filmed.

Also, here is some interesting reading about the building with the sculpture. It originally had a light on it and acted like a lighthouse. https://flashbackdallas.com/2014/04/25/republic-national-bank-building/
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Yeah...Bryan Tower. If you look at "SPY IN THE HOUSE", Pam goes to 2001 Bryan I think...or 2001 Bryan...I forget now, as she walks in. You can see the spired building in the shot from JR's office.

I think I've found it!

View attachment 17284View attachment 17285

It is in Dallas. The building matches, even the roof vent. The two trees and the sidewalk match too.

Those mysterious shiny pieces that you could just make out on the roof, above the window and on the neighbors by their fireplace are skylights.

It's a four unit townhouse, built in 1976. It looks like their are two floorpans and a flipped version of each. So at the other end of the building it appears there is a mirror image of this one.

It's on the corner of and Emerson Avenue and Preston Road.

That is just sooooooooooooooo awesome! Yeah....I too have been scanning downtown to I-635 west of I-75 looking. GREAT FIND!!!! YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

You saved countless hours of effort! Thanks!
 

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
6
I don't think this one has been mentioned but if it has sorry. This was pretty easy since they give the address in the episode. Interestingly it's an LA address for what's supposed to be Dallas.

x0lkwWL.png


GY9k57C.png


iflJzvz.png


z9UeA24.png
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
I don't think this one has been mentioned but if it has sorry. This was pretty easy since they give the address in the episode. Interestingly it's an LA address for what's supposed to be Dallas.

x0lkwWL.png


GY9k57C.png


iflJzvz.png


z9UeA24.png

No doubt about that one! Great work, MT. Excellent!
 

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
4
 
Awards
9
Interestingly it's an LA address for what's supposed to be Dallas.

x0lkwWL.png


This is an example of how technology has changed. Why not grab up a Dallas address for accuracy?

Well, two very good reasons.

1. Today, anybody on the crew could just look up a random address in Dallas and use it. But back then there were no smartphones, internet, or GPS. And it would be unlikely that a Dallas phone book would be laying around where they were filming in Los Angeles.

2. Who needs accuracy? Back then, TiVo and DVRs hadn't been invented yet. So nobody would do a freeze frame and look closer at the address. The audience would see the address for a few seconds and that was it.

Which leads us to an interesting thought. Imagine this: It is a long time ago and you are working on the crew filming Dallas. And a person walks up to you and says, "40 years from now, fans from around the world will still be talking about these scenes and even that scrap of paper."

Would you even believe it?
 

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
6
This is an example of how technology has changed. Why not grab up a Dallas address for accuracy?

Well, two very good reasons.

1. Today, anybody on the crew could just look up a random address in Dallas and use it. But back then there were no smartphones, internet, or GPS. And it would be unlikely that a Dallas phone book would be laying around where they were filming in Los Angeles.

2. Who needs accuracy? Back then, TiVo and DVRs hadn't been invented yet. So nobody would do a freeze frame and look closer at the address. The audience would see the address for a few seconds and that was it.

Which leads us to an interesting thought. Imagine this: It is a long time ago and you are working on the crew filming Dallas. And a person walks up to you and says, "40 years from now, fans from around the world will still be talking about these scenes and even that scrap of paper."

Would you even believe it?

The funny thing is there is a Tabor St in the suburbs of Fort Worth and a Tabor Dr in Dallas so to a random viewer back in the day looking at a map directory (unlikely but let's pretend) would have seen such a named street in the index. The absence of railroad tracks is what told me it's not the same street. In the episode Cliff walks from the road to the tracks, now on the real street (in LA) there is a fence but the tracks are still there.
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
I guess your short list is complete! Time for some more!
Well, I'm lost now. Don't know what to do with myself. My scanning skills need tuning...maybe I should just focus on that. (For Swellen's townhome, I scanned between Tollway-75/635-downtown, and missed it.)

Now that we have Swellen's townhome location, I know the letdown scientists feel after that big discovery. :think::confuse:

I had a hunch it would be around University Park/Highland Park/Turtle Creek. But, I missed the multi-family roof line in that area of Highland Park when scanning with google maps. Plus I was focusing more on the Turtle Creek area.

I'm on dvd s08, so I guess I'll just have to watch for more locations to question.
 
Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
Top