Which shows do you have the COMPLETE series for on DVD?

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I read that all the DVDs in on spindle are stacked on top of each other, and that's something I don't want with my DVDs, so I guess I'll just wait for the blu-ray releases when they come out.

Oh dear. I was a bit worried because the outer sleeve is actually a flip top and I know how much they're prone to crease and damage, and are often a sign that the interior packaging isn't very well thought out. I haven't cracked mine open yet, but perhaps I'll take a look at it soon so see what the packaging is like.

(Or perhaps I'll leave it sealed in case the Blu-ray comes out before I get around to watching it and I want to just sell it on. ;) )

Yes it's also nice to have a childhood memory with my Grandma and Grandpa, and indeed Murder She Wrote always came on tv here too on Sunday, i think it was also around 19:00 pm on tv, because we always watch it after dinner.

Memories like this can make a TV show so much more special. It's lovely that you have this association with Murder, She Wrote.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes it's also nice to have a childhood memory with my Grandma and Grandpa, and indeed Murder She Wrote always came on tv here too on Sunday, i think it was also around 19:00 pm on tv, because we always watch it after dinner.

I had likewise here Stateside when I was growing up; the late, great NFL player and broadcaster Pat Summerall was on CBS NFL broadcasts back when the Tiffany Network had the NFC rights (another late great, John Madden, was his partner on color), and Pat would, if he and John were doing a late broadcast on an NFL Sunday (as I understand it), preview what would be on CBS Sunday nights; most of the time, it was 60 Minutes and Murder She Wrote, and other times, Crazy Like a Fox and Trapper John, M.D., and even a CBS Sunday Movie at times.

Basically, MSW would come on one hour earlier for you on Sundays than I had it Stateside, but the effect was more or less the same.

Here is Pat Summerall reading one of these famous voiceover promos, this one with 60 Minutes, MSW and a CBS Sunday Movie broadcast of Part 1 of Gone with the Wind:

And here is the actual lineup graphic from his V/O promo...

cbssundaylineup1987.jpg

Last edited:

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I had likewise here Stateside when I was growing up; the late, great NFL player and broadcaster Pat Summerall was on CBS NFL broadcasts back when the Tiffany Network had the NFC rights (another late great, John Madden, was his partner on color), and Pat would, if he and John were doing a late broadcast on an NFL Sunday (as I understand it), preview what would be on CBS Sunday nights; most of the time, it was 60 Minutes and Murder She Wrote, and other times, Crazy Like a Fox and Trapper John, M.D., and even a CBS Sunday Movie at times.

Basically, MSW would come on one hour earlier for you on Sundays than I had it Stateside, but the effect was more or less the same.
Yes i think the effect was indeed the same as with me, we had mostly movies on Saturday nights, i can't really remember if there were any movies on during the week, because I had to go to bed early because of school

It's funny that in many country MSW was on tv at Sundays, i remember it was also on a Saturday but they changed it.

Here is Pat Summerall reading one of these famous voiceover promos, this one with 60 Minutes, MSW and a CBS Sunday Movie broadcast of Part 1 of Gone with the Wind:

And here is the actual lineup graphic from his V/O promo...

View attachment 40532
That's a great line up for what's coming up on tv, we neve had these kind of line up on tv, we always had a Presenter at a desk who said what's coming on tv that evening. something like this on one of the channels we had.

1662474355667.png

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh dear. I was a bit worried because the outer sleeve is actually a flip top and I know how much they're prone to crease and damage, and are often a sign that the interior packaging isn't very well thought out. I haven't cracked mine open yet, but perhaps I'll take a look at it soon so see what the packaging is like.

(Or perhaps I'll leave it sealed in case the Blu-ray comes out before I get around to watching it and I want to just sell it on. ;) )
Hihi, i hope your copy of Murder she Wrote is fine and don't have much demages as some other people said they had, well some people got a good copy so maybe yous is fine as well. But you can always watch it and then sell it later if the Blu-ray come out, or what you said leave it sealed. :D

Memories like this can make a TV show so much more special. It's lovely that you have this association with Murder, She Wrote.
Yes indeed, it always brings you back to the good old days when everything was so differend then, and i have that with a few tv-shows like Murder She Wrote.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was first afraid it was one big spindle that I've seen in the stores many years ago before, those are the worst nightmare a collector can have.
I've got a set of the four Christopher Reeve Superman movies that originally came like that but I bought a new case for them, swapped the paper insert over, and now they are each on their own separate "page". And it takes up the same shelf space, too. I can't think why they didn't make it like that in the first place - unless it's cheaper to manufacture, of course.

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've got a set of the four Christopher Reeve Superman movies that originally came like that but I bought a new case for them, swapped the paper insert over, and now they are each on their own separate "page". And it takes up the same shelf space, too. I can't think why they didn't make it like that in the first place - unless it's cheaper to manufacture, of course.
That's a very good idea to solve that way @Seaviewer, I also bought the DVD box of the four Superman films with Chritopher Reeves for a couple years ago, and luckily those DVDs were still packaged separately. :)

I think your right about that it's cheaper to manufacture that way fpr the company. as long they don;t look like this "MArried With Children boxset that i saw a couple years ago in store.

1662531445234.png

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
A new addition...

Includes Oh No It's Selwyn Froggitt, and the unsuccessful rebooted version Selwyn. I've never watched nor even heard of this one, but the cast (including Harry Cross and Nurse Gladys Emmanuel) convinced me it would be worth a look.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
for those Hawaii-five-o fans of the Original show that is, i want to at some point buy the complete series on dvd since it's not on bluray, but the current ones are those big ass boxes that have them all stuffed together and i really f... hate that they seem to fall out and and maybe crack and these assholes don't care. so which set is the best one to get? amazon does have the 2017 set but the review pictures on it have all of them blended together and its' really confusing to see which one is which.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
those big ass boxes that have them all stuffed together and i really f... hate that they seem to fall out and and maybe crack
You might just have to do what I did with the multiiple-discs-on-a-single-spindle sets (including Get Back above) and buy new cases for them, though I'll concede it could be an expensive prospect for so many discs.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I'm waiting on the complete collection of Columbo coming in the post. Although it'll probably get delayed because of the postal strikes which is a nuisance. :(

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Washington: Behind Closed Doors (1977 ABC miniseries based on The Company by John Ehrlichman, who was a key figure in the Nixon administration during Watergate)

washingtonbehindcloseddoors1.jpg

washingtonbehindcloseddoors2.jpg

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
^
I have it too, but mini-series are usually always complete, I think?
Either way, it's fantastic.
Strange that the dvd artwork doesn't mention Nicholas Pryor who played my favourite character, and it certainly wasn't a small role.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
^
I have it too, but mini-series are usually always complete, I think?
Either way, it's fantastic.
Strange that the dvd artwork doesn't mention Nicholas Pryor who played my favourite character, and it certainly wasn't a small role.

I think he's in the opening titles, or in the guest star credits-- I'll have to look it up soon and grab a screenshot for you.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's interesting that they mentioned the actors' previous work, it's not like we don't know them already.
And that Cliff Robertson's season guest stint on Falcon Crest is considered one of his most memorable performances. Not that he wasn't good as Dr. Michael Ranson but it seems such an obscure choice to "sell" the actor.
Not for David Selby, but like Nicholas Pryor he's not mentioned on the artwork even though he had a bigger role than Stefanie Powers (I think).

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here is a screenshot of Nicholas Pryor's guest-star billing, from Episode 2...

washingtonbehindcloseddoorsnicholaspryorcredit.png

Julia's Gun

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm waiting on the complete collection of Columbo coming in the post. Although it'll probably get delayed because of the postal strikes which is a nuisance. :(

Did you receive this yet? I got this box set recently and have watched the first 3. I'm going to gradually make my way through when I have the time.
There was a good re-watch thread on this last year, where a couple of forum members reviewed the whole series. Perhaps we can post on there from time to time as we go through!

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I got this box set recently and have watched the first 3. I'm going to gradually make my way through when I have the time.

Oh - how exciting!!

There was a good re-watch thread on this last year, where a couple of forum members reviewed the whole series. Perhaps we can post on there from time to time as we go through!

Here's the thread if you're looking for it. I'd certainly love to read some of your views as you go through and I'm sure @Angela Channing would as well.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Looks good, love Jason Robards - not long finsished all The Presidents men

I dont remember it from when it was 1st shown x

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ve got the scary ATV’s children’s series, Escape into Night. Some of it was recorded on Barr Beacon, close to where Walsall meets northwest Birmingham. For a time, I used to regularly go up Barr Beacon but didn’t know at the time about Escape into Night being up there. You get a spectacular view of a bunch of surrounding counties from there. And there is a toposcope on the war memorial. The war memorial is glimpsed in the last episode. I had a sibling and a first cousin in Birmingham at the time. Never got round to visiting them. I’m sure I’ve got one of their addresses somewhere. One asked me to phone them eleven years ago but of course I never did.

Last edited: